• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Installing eCS 2.0 - ACHI

Started by miturbide, 2010.08.29, 17:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Kreso

I did that last evening and still the same. I will try today again with default language to see if there any difference. Language was changed on pre-boot screen.

Kreso

So I try installation again but without success. Again it hangs after first reboot. This time I wrote the massage. Here it is: 0000000024BC0B32-SYS2027-0000:0180.
As fare as I remember this msg means that OS2BOOT is missing. I other words HD is not visible and files are not found. That leads to the DANIS506.add file which most probably does not support AHCI. At least on this machine. I will try installation on another ThinkPad (R60). If that goes OK as silver version of EcS then something is different between implementation of the AHCI on this two ThinkPads.

DougB

AHCI is definitely NOT supported by the Dani driver, yet (v 1.8.7). Some machines will automatically switch to compatibility mode, some need to be switched in the BIOS, and some just don't have compatibility mode. It seems that your machine does not switch automatically. If you are lucky, you should be able to switch it in the BIOS. If there is no BIOS setting, you will have to wait for the AHCI support.

Kreso

This is questionable. I just installed EcS v 2 on thinkpad R60 with AHACI enabled and there was no problem. Dani version is 1.8.5 (supp with Ecs). So I took the HD out and now I will try to install it to the new ThinkPad. lets see what will be the outcome.

Pete

Hi Kreso

SYS2027: Insert a system diskette and restart the system.

Looks like the system cannot boot from the HD.

As you can work with the HD when booted from the install CD it makes me wonder what the problem is.

How did you create the boot Volume - Is it an LVM or Compatibility Volume? - What filesystem is in use? - Is Boot Manager involved?

Regards

Pete

Sigurd

Quote from: DougB on 2010.12.14, 21:39:59
AHCI is definitely NOT supported by the Dani driver, yet (v 1.8.7). Some machines will automatically switch to compatibility mode, some need to be switched in the BIOS, and some just don't have compatibility mode. It seems that your machine does not switch automatically. If you are lucky, you should be able to switch it in the BIOS. If there is no BIOS setting, you will have to wait for the AHCI support.

This is definitly wrong. I installed eCS 2 on my Lenovo X200T in compatibility mode, once installation was finished I switched to AHCI, primary for Windows 7. eCS2 does still run with AHCI mode.

Even more difficult: With the HP Mini 210 Netbook I once had, that did not come with compatibitility mode at all. I used the DFSEE boot CD to wipe the whole HDD and partionate it. Then I installed a (because of the Intel10 Chipset not usually supported) self patched Windows XP on it. After that I copied an eCS installation Image I made with another PC via the availiable DFSEE option on the HDD of the Netbook (Installation even via USB was not possible). It started and it did run very well in AHCI mode.

rudi

Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.12.15, 11:06:50
It started and it did run very well in AHCI mode.

Then either that option doesn't do what it promises or the notebook does some
extra magic to enable compatibility by default. None of the current DANI drivers
supports native AHCI. She once told me that making that happen would require
a major conceptual rework of both DANIATAPI and DANIS506. An endeavor for
which she had not enough motivation anymore...

Kreso

:)So this will be an interesting thread. Here are the answers:
1. Yes system cannot boot from HD. I realize that.
2. it is LVM and JFS
3. Boot Manager involved - YES. Win 7 will be installed.
For understanding: Via BIOS I can set COMPATIBILITY or AHCI mod.
If in COMPATIBILITY then system hangs immediately after reboot start.
If in AHCI then Boot Manager start-EcS selected(its the only one), Boot start, came to DANI, show first line of the driver, next msg is that OS/2 cannot operate HD.
I have mounted HD with freshly installed EcS 2 on another ThinkPad (R60) with AHCI enabled, to my new ThinkPad L512. Result is the same as in above answers. Does not work in any case with same massages. In R60 is working without problems (some small, but for those I know the reason&can be easily solved). So my conclusion is that Dani is not fully AHCI compatible or L52 have something different in implementing AHCI, or it is unsuported chipset. That I have to check (today)  

Sigurd

Quote from: rudi on 2010.12.15, 11:44:25
Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.12.15, 11:06:50
It started and it did run very well in AHCI mode.

Then either that option doesn't do what it promises or the notebook does some
extra magic to enable compatibility by default. None of the current DANI drivers
supports native AHCI. She once told me that making that happen would require
a major conceptual rework of both DANIATAPI and DANIS506. An endeavor for
which she had not enough motivation anymore...

Hi Rudi,

yes, it may have happend by accident or some "inbuild compatibiliy mode" I did / do not know. I just can write / tell what did happen to me. I am as suprised about this as others may be as well!
To figure out WHY this happen is beyond my skills....

BTW: Did the Virtualbox Image arrive and was it usefull for you?

Pete

Hi Kreso

Your reply suggests the Boot Volume is an LVM Volume using BootableJFS.

A BootableJFS volume should be created as a Compatibility Volume not an LVM Volume.

I wonder if that is the cause of the problem?

Regards

Pete

Sigurd

Just to give it:

here you can see what I have done with the netbook:

http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=2785

and here are some more interesting suggestions given by Mikael Elf, even if it might not be related to AHCI it shows, that there may be unexpected ways to overcome such problems, if you are bold,enthusiastic and imagninative enough as Mikael ;-)  :

http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=2294

HTH

Kreso

:) :)So Guys there is a progress. EcS v2 is installed. Here is HOW:
1. BIOS - COMPATIBILITY
2. My own values on preboot screen
3. At the end of phase1 (reboot delay 20s) - eject CD
4. Boot Manager - EcS (booting from HD) - inserting CD 1
5. My surprise boot continue
6. Choose options
7. phase 2 finished (repeat as phase 1)
8.reboot
9. finish installation
10. reboot ALL OK   I am happy, very happy  :D :D :D

Tried with AHCI - NO GO. Same as before - Dani and OS/2 cannot operate HD...

There is difference between R60 and L512 in AHCI implementation.

One more interesting think: with acpi enabled with SMP  system shows 4 processors.

Pete: You are right. During last installation I change it to HPFS. Volume is compatible not LVM.

Next step is network. That I did not configure yet. I will do that at home.

OriAl

Does Danis506.add support SATA drives?

Kreso

:) :)Yes, but not in AHCI

RobertM

Quote from: Kreso on 2010.12.15, 21:40:54
:) :)Yes, but not in AHCI

Interestingly enough, I am working on installing Windows 7 x64 on an Asus KGPE-D16, and it will NOT install with ACHI enabled in the BIOS. The motherboard oddly comes with IDE mode enabled, and there are others who are having the same issue and citing crappy ACHI support.

Anyway, eCS v2 installed on the machine (figured I'd run a test), but though it recognized the CPUs (dual 8 core CPUs), enabling ACPI causes eCS to crash early in the boot process. Didn't have time to play with the config...

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|