• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Vx-REXX install error (free space on disk)

Started by warpcafe, 2010.11.29, 11:14:31

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Hi all,

I guess this is a well-known issue and obviously most people have a solution for it - otherwise I would have found Q&A for it... Also not that I somehow was successful when I installed Vx-Rexx a year ago ...but I simply can't remember what I did ;)

Problem:
When installing Vx-Rexx, the installer checks the amount of available disk space.
With hard drives or free space above a certain limit (I guess more than 2 GB), the routine fails to determine the amount correctly and thus issues a "not enough free space" error. With contemporary HDDs of way beyond hundreds of Gigabytes this will most likely happen almost everywhere :)

Question:
What is the "best" solution to this? I think what I did back then was to create a SUBST'ed drive that I installed to and then corrected the drive letter in config.sys and INI (if any).
But now I wonder... is there perhaps a patched installer or something similar to overcome the problem?

Ideas on how to solve the issue "best", most "elegantly" or "simple", anyone?

TIA
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

herwigb

Hallo Thomas,

I did the following recently:

1. Make the driveletter, where VX-REXX should be installed, invisible using LVM.
2. Mount a RAMFS drive using exactly the same driveletter.
3. Install VX-REXX on the RAMFS drive.
4. Zip it up preserving tree structure. Copy the ZIP file somewhere.
5. Give the driveletter back to the original partition.
6. Unzip the ZIP file on it.

I think I had to reboot twice in the whole process, but it worked well.

There are other scenarios to resolve this: FIle the partition with rubbish, use a TVFS drive in between.

Just for the records: I am working on a WPI installation package fpr VX-REXX, as it is really a PITA.

Regards,
Herwig
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

warpcafe

Hi,

well... sadly there is no "like" button on OS2World. Yet. ;)
Thanks for the hints... I guess that was what I did (RAMFS)... hey and note that I am volunteering as a beta tester for the Vx-Rexx WPI package!! :-P

Cheers.
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy