• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Peer Guardian for OS2?

Started by kim, 2007.08.10, 13:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

Curious here, but since there are a lot of talk about privacy and big brother are watching us all; but for example Peer Guardian be an interesting security port project for OS2? I kind of like PG due to it's very simple GUI and ease of use; but then again it might just be me :-)

"PeerGuardian is an open source IP filter that is designed to block the IP addresses of certain organizations and corporations that may wish to harm a users privacy while using the Internet and peer-to-peer networks.

PeerGuardian 2 requires no driver installation, yet blocks IP addresses at a far higher speed than was previously available - never above 1% CPU on most test systems. On Windows 2000 and greater PeerGuardian 2 blocks at a kernel level, acting against every protocol used within the windows system. On Windows 98 or Me it blocks TCP only (due to technical reasons, kernel blocking in 98/ME is not feasible) with the same high performance of the Windows 2000 version.

PeerGuardian blocks IP addresses based upon a list of IP addresses collected by many methods. By default, PeerGuardian 2 collects IP addresses from the Blocklist.org website. Blocklist.org is a website designed to allow users to interactively manage and block the IP addresses of certain organisations and companies. Founded in early 2005 by phoenixlabs.org, it is intended to be a platform agnostic database that utilises published open formats. Blocklist.org is still under construction, and more detail about how to use the database to submit new ranges, and report bad ranges will be added to a later version of this manual. "