• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Customizing OS/2

Started by BookWorm, 2011.03.06, 04:41:19

Previous topic - Next topic

BookWorm

OS/2 seems to be very easy to customize. Any icon can be changed, and an *icon* *editor* is in the properties menu. Are there any icons that can't be changed this easily? I dual boot with Windows; will Recourse Hacker (a Windows program) modify OS/2 files?

There is an OS/2 version of Object Desktop. Does it include WindowBlinds? If so, how badly does Windowblinds affect OS/2 performance? I downloaded a...um..."trial version of the full version" of Object Desktop 2004 from a site I probably can't mention here, and my 850 Mhz PIII with 320Mb RAM seemed perfectly fine at first, then slowed down terribly. Windows Explorer (XP Pro service pack 2) became violently unstable. I was blaming Windowblinds for this, but then McAffe Quarantined the...um...key.  :-[

If Object Desktop isn't too slow, does anyone have a spare copy (either version - preferably 2004 for XP, the last available for OS/2) to sell?

abwillis

Object Desktop for OS/2 precedes Windowblinds by several years.  I have not used Object Desktop but I have certainly never heard of any complaints of speed issues under OS/2.  I knew some folks that used the Windowblinds and as I recall it did seem a little problematic but that was never something I have heard of in the OS/2 product.
Andy

Ben

Windowblinds is a Windows only product.

Object Desktop was originally an OS/2 product only until Mr. B. Wardell didn't get his way with IBM and moved to the Windows platform while dropping the OS/2 product line altogether.

I'm not sure if OD for OS/2 is still being sold, if so, it hasn't been updated in years and it is extremely unlikely that it ever will be. Certainly the gap between the product on the above mentioned platforms are so great now, that there is only a small correlation.

I use OD for OS/2 and I find some of applications indispensable, though there have been some attempts to duplicate them, only a few have been successful, others having varying degrees of success.

RobertM

Quote from: BookWorm on 2011.03.06, 04:41:19
OS/2 seems to be very easy to customize. Any icon can be changed, and an *icon* *editor* is in the properties menu. Are there any icons that can't be changed this easily? I dual boot with Windows; will Recourse Hacker (a Windows program) modify OS/2 files?

There are a number of icons that are not as easy to change, as their bitmaps are stored as resources in DLLs (not a large number, but a number). Those icons can be changed by "hacking" the DLL files using the resource editor/compiler or by using other tools available for OS/2 (which generally utilize those tools in the background). There's info buried someplace on the forums on how to do this. If you can't find it (and are interested in changing the difficult-to-change icons), let us know. I am sure someone will dig it up.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|