• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB to Parallel Bridge

Started by djcaetano, 2011.04.02, 01:04:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Smedley

Hi All,
Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2011.04.02, 11:54:31
Hi Daniel
Quote from: djcaetano on 2011.04.02, 01:04:52
Hello guys...
I am buying a new machine (brand new i7 2600 processor, 8GB of RAM, intel H67 based motherboard) and I hope to run eComStation 2 in this machine. It will be here by april 20, so I am only guessing if it will work.

I just bought the same processor, but I chose an Intel P67 based motherboard.  I have eCS 2 running, but currently not in a satisfactory manner.

Onboard LAN (Realtek R8111c) is not (yet) supported by the new eCS Realtek driver - although it is supported in the latest linux source, so it should be trivial to add support.

Sound is recognised by Uniaud 2.1.x but not Uniaud 1.9.x (due to higher ALSA version in 2.1.x)

SATA controller only works in generic mode until Danis506 is updated.

Widescreen activator doesn't recognise the CPU bridge but I'm in conversation with Robert Lalla on that issue and hope to have that resolved soon.

High IRQ loads are common - I believe this is due to system MTRR not being set correctly.  Unfortunately whilst Lars Erdmann has a utility to set MTRR's - it's currently failing here with:
GRADD.SYS returns error 65330 in IOCTL call GRADDPDD_QUERYMTRR.Cannot query MTRRs.

and Lars is very busy right now.

Once all the above is resolved it should be a nice system :)

Just to update things... no real progress...

I have an updated atombios.sys - and can add 1920x1080 to the list of supported resolutions, however it doesn't work correctly.

A little hard to describe, but when booted to 1920x1080 - there is a strip of the desktop missing down both the LH and RH sides of the screen - enough so that the icons on the desktop on the LH are completely missing, as is the eCS button on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.

Steven Levine sent me an updated danis506 with the Cougar Point SATA controller ID added, but it isn't being recognised yet.

System MTRR are still unable to be set.

Meanwhile, Ubuntu 10.10 works fantastically on the hardware, and eCS in Virtualbox flies :)

Cheers,

Paul

ivan

Hi Paul,

Are you using SNAP for video?  I ask because that is what I use with my 1920 x 1200 monitor (Hans-G HH281) and I have no problems at all - just went into screen settings, selected 1920 x 1200, rebooted and away it went.

ivan

Paul Smedley

Ivan,

Snap won't work with my i7-2600 - so using Panorama + widescreen activator.

Cheers,

Paul

ivan

Hi Paul,

Yours is Intel, all mine are AMD and therein lies a tale. 

I gave up on Intel years ago because of problems with getting OS/2 and Intel to work together on the newer Intel offerings.  For me AMD  just works in all offerings.

ivan

Andreas Kohl

From my experience:
All that USB-Parallel-Adapters are crap. Better using an internal or external Printerserver for such purposes, it's also true for Windows NT, 2000, XP systems.
I recommend HP JetDirect or Emulex NetJet. Both have internal and external models for ethernet or token-ring.

djcaetano

Quote from: Andreas Kohl on 2011.04.13, 21:03:52
From my experience:
All that USB-Parallel-Adapters are crap. Better using an internal or external Printerserver for such purposes, it's also true for Windows NT, 2000, XP systems.
I recommend HP JetDirect or Emulex NetJet. Both have internal and external models for ethernet or token-ring.

I've got an used HP JetDirect 170x (external). It arrives next week. I hope it works with eComStation. :)