• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Developer looking for VisualAge C++

Started by RTB2011, 2011.04.25, 13:41:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RTB2011

Hello all, pretty much all that needs to be said is in the description.  I'm a pretty skilled developer at C and C++ on other platforms, and would like to try my hand at OS/2.  I need a decent compiler however, and it's looking as though VisualAge C++ is still required for many things.  If anyone could help me obtain a new or second hand copy I'd be willing to pay a fair fee.

Thanks in advance!

miturbide

Hi RTB2011

Are you looking to develop something specific that requires VisualAge C++.

I'm not an expert in development, but the problem with VisualAge C++ is that compiler that is no longer improved or sold anymore.  Currently the OS/2 and eCS community is also looking at more open source solutions for development like GCC and the QT libraries.

Other thing that I remember about VisualAge C++ is that there was a big difference between version 3 and version 4. Even some developers preferred to stay on version 3, since they don't considered version 4 bugfixed.

Or are you planning to develop something that specifically requires VisualAge c++?

Martin

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

abwillis

I can only think of a one project off the top of my head using VAC 3.08 (XWorkplace) and Odin currently uses VAC3.65 (VAC3.08 may still work but haven't tried recently).  VAC 4 is used for Larsen Commander.  VAC is probably being used for some closed projects but those I can't speak to.  Most other projects are using GCC or OpenWatcom.  I'm not sure where to get a copy of VAC at this point, that is one reason that Odin is wanting to move to GCC (and I've put some time previously into using OW but never got it there).

RTB2011

Well, I am playing with the Rodent.sys driver trying to get it to support the Synaptic Touchpads in relative mode with gestures and tapping disabled as an experiment, eventually planning to make a fully supported absolute mode driver out of it.  it would really help with old notebooks, and I can't seem to get it to compile under OpenWatcom, esspecially the assembly portions.

That and the graphical "GUI builder" would be nice.  I can live without it but in the future it might help.

RobertM

Quote from: abwillis on 2011.04.25, 16:53:59
I can only think of a one project off the top of my head using VAC 3.08 (XWorkplace) and Odin currently uses VAC3.65 (VAC3.08 may still work but haven't tried recently).  VAC 4 is used for Larsen Commander.  VAC is probably being used for some closed projects but those I can't speak to.  Most other projects are using GCC or OpenWatcom.  I'm not sure where to get a copy of VAC at this point, that is one reason that Odin is wanting to move to GCC (and I've put some time previously into using OW but never got it there).

Some additional components for Warp 4 updates and WSeB/Aurora/Merlin used Microsoft C++ compiler - even if you can dig up the version that creates OS/2 executables/drivers/DLLs, I would not suggest it as an option if the most common of such projects is any indication. One of the most notable is the updated OREXX, which leaks a lot of memory and has degraded performance (for instance, when compared to CREXX, it has about 1/50th the performance when working with large stem arrays - and will leak enough resources that ONE script doing complex stem operations will bring the machine to a state require a reboot to free resources).

VAC++ was also used to maintain Lotus Domino GoWebserver and possibly other Domino products.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Hi RTB2011,

If you are looking at rodent.sys is there any chance you might be able to add support for the Acecad D8000 digitizer (A3 size)?  The old Acecad driver stopped working after some update of OS/2 so I'm now left with having to fiddle about when inputting drawings.

ivan

abwillis

Just downloaded the rodent code... it needs masm...   Only rodent.c uses icc which probably would be able to use OW for that easily enough (though rodent.exe is not built by the make file by default as it is commented out).  Masm is not part of VAC, but rather is part of the ddktoolkit.  Tried both wasm and alp to noavail so far for the asm code.

RTB2011

Well, if it's that hard to get looks like I'll be playing with OpenWatcom.  Also, as far as the mouse driver is concerned, looks like I need to assemble the assembly (where I did most of my work) with masm, can't believe that didn't occur to me.  However I have no access to the DDKToolkit. :(

Thanks.  And I'll look into the digitizer tablet, but honestly I have no idea how it works or what protocol it uses.  Does APIC or ACPI perhaps break it?

ivan

I think it was one of the last fixpaks that stopped the digitizer working.

What would you want to know about protocols?  The manual has 7 pages giving information on data formats which I can copy and e-mail to you if you think they would be of any use.

ivan

RobertM

Quote from: RTB2011 on 2011.04.26, 01:30:56Well, if it's that hard to get looks like I'll be playing with OpenWatcom. 
Also...

Give it a little more than a day... there are a couple people on here who probably still have a copy they are willing to sell.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi All

I probably should not suggest checking for torrents for VAC, DDKToolkit and DevCon samples/code but if you cannot find copies to purchase...

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2011.04.26, 03:38:37
Hi All

I probably should not suggest checking for torrents for VAC, DDKToolkit and DevCon samples/code but if you cannot find copies to purchase...

Regards

Pete

Agreed, you shouldn't. Especially for anyone who is not aware that they need to look for a VAC++ v4 or lower with OS/2 support (as ones later than v4 did not support running on OS/2).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

You do not have os2tk45.zip? I think it's on one of the eCS CDs. Or the os2ddk? AFAIK I got it from one of the IBM sites for free, including masm....

abwillis

DDK is not part of the os2tk45.  The toolkit and DDK are different things and I couldn't find that Mensys added the DDK as part of the toolkit on the eCS cd #2 when I looked last night.  I believe Mensys may be able to provide the DDK upon request if I am recalling correctly.

RTB2011

As tempting as Torrents are, I'd really like a legit copy.  Also, they appear to be all dead anyways. ;)