• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VLC 1.1.9 - No Go

Started by Ben, 2011.05.15, 14:39:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I have been using VLC 1.1.7 now for a while. It's one of the very best video players out there for OS/2, (and other platforms too... or so I have read).

However when I gave 1.1.9 a go, it exits passively, silently slipping away with my expectations, leaving not a trace of its passing.

Has anyone had any better luck?

Pete

Hi Ben

Just downloaded and unzipped vlc119 - had to then copy the contents of the vlc2 directory to the existing vlc directory.

Drag'n'Dropping a video clip onto my vlc program object caused playback to start; video played fine, no problems spotted.

You could try starting vlc from the command line to see if there is any message about the failure to run there.

Regards

Pete

Ben

Thanks for the feedback, Pete.

I also did a drop-in of 1.1.9 over 1.1.7.

Afterwards I downgraded from 1.1.9 to 1.1.7 and everything worked fine again.

Also did the commandline with the same results as with the object.

I can't imagine why the old one works, but not the new one, but it's nice to have reduced the likelihood of the software being the problem.  :)

Now all I have to figure out is why 1.1.9 doesn't like my system. ???

ivan

Ben you are not the only one it doesn't work for.  All it does is just peg the CPU at full speed causing the CPU fan to sing.  Other than that nothing.  ALL the older versions work with out problems.

ivan

Pete

Hi Ben

Sorry, should have also said that I deleted the contents of the existing vlc directory prior to copying the v1.1.9 files into it; ie I did *not* overwrite the existing installation.

You may want to try starting vlc with the option to generate a logfile - something I've not had to do so far myself so I'm not sure how to... I've just run this command:-

[J:\PROGRAMS\MULTIMEDIA\VLC\USR\LOCAL\BIN]vlc -H > vlchelp.txt

Searching through the vlchelp.txt file I see a few options for generating a logfile - you may want to have a look at those yourself although I think you only really need to use this command:-

[J:\PROGRAMS\MULTIMEDIA\VLC\USR\LOCAL\BIN]vlc --logfile=vlclog.txt

I have had a quick hunt around to see if I can find some possible answers to "vlc does not start" and the best seems to be on this page http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html?en/index.html#id2470084

"VLC has a strange behavior...

The first thing to do is to reset the VLC preferences in the preferences dialog of the application and restart VLC. If VLC doesn't even start anymore, delete VLC's configuration file (see the previous question to know about its location). Then restart VLC. If it does not get any better, read the following questions! "

It also has a section "Where does VLC store its config file?" - but omits the information for OS/2 based systems...

The file is called vlcrc

Mine is in %HOME%\vlc where %HOME% is the value of the SET HOME line in the config.sys file.

Hope the above is of help - If not you may want to email the porter, KO Myung-Hun, whose email address is in the readme.eng file.

Pete

fjr

No problem here on eCS 2.1.
Just unzipped the VLC 1.1.9 package into a g:\vlc2\ directory subtree and changed the LIBPATH entry in CONFIG.SYS to g:\vlc2\usr\local\lib.
Everything is running fine. (Except 50% of my movie DVDs.)

Cheers/2
frajo

Ben

I recently downloaded and installed VLC version 1.1.11 and it works perfectly!  :D

I did delete the old version this time, rather than extract over it... maybe that had something to do with it, but I have not the time to check out that aspect.

For those that have been following this thread, this is just FYI.

fjr

Quote from: Ben on 2011.08.07, 23:25:40

I recently downloaded and installed VLC version 1.1.11 and it works perfectly!  :D

Thanks for mentioning the new VLC version. Just installed it.

Unfortunately it doesn't embrace the latest change for the .../share/lua/playlist/youtube.lua file which is necessary to display youtube videos after some youtube code change in July. See http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-commits/2011-July/008084.html .
Don't know how to do it myself as there's no path like .../share/lua/playlist in the eCS distribution.

Cheers/2
frajo

rudi

QuoteDon't know how to do it myself as there's no path like

I have not tried this but...

• Grab lua-5.1.4-os2.zip from Hobbes. It contains the lua "compiler".
  • Grab original youtube.lua (for example from a Windows or Linux distro).
  • Apply the modification to youtube.lua
  • Run: luac.exe -o youtube.luac youtube.lua
  • Copy the new youtube.luac to /lib/vlc/lua/playlist