• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Your OS/2 Abandonware Wishlist

Started by Terry, 2007.09.10, 23:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Quote from: James on 2007.09.16, 04:26:38
Hockware Vispro C/C++, IBM Visual Age for Basic, hmmm

Hi James

If you are really desperate for a copy of IBM VA Basic for Windows and OS/2 I know I have 1 somewhere.

However, if you are not in the UK the postage would probably be more than the package is worth - unless you are really desperate  :-)

As to the "Abandonware Wishlist" I think you should add every app that is still available, not supported or maintained but requiring a Licence to use.

Regards

Pete

warpcafe

Quote from: Pete on 2007.09.19, 03:36:50
If you are really desperate for a copy of IBM VA Basic for Windows and OS/2 I know I have 1 somewhere.

Yeah... I have 1 copy of that too. FORGET IT. :-)
That thing is even less useable than VB3 GA was on windows!
I remember that I was more than disappointed by that... piece of... ehh... software.

I agree that if there would be a VB4-like OS/2 native counterpart, I would spend a lot of money on that.
Let me put it that way: Someone can give me an IDE for BASIC which follows the OS/2 approach and object model (and API!!!!!!) and creates OS/2 native executables on click, supporting Warp4-style controls (including containers)... then let me know! I'll gladly pay for that about everything I can afford...

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

cyberspittle

Hi Pete,

No. I'm not in the market for the IBM product. I have MS VB4 in WinOS2 session if needed. However, my VB is now .Net 2003. However, I am still using and am happy with EMX. I was just adding my thoughts to the list.

lpino

I would like to see Mesa 2.x, Mathematica 4.x, Maple and a little application that did 3D edition and came as a demo on Warp 4.

weisj

I would love to see BackupWiz by PCX made available again - only because the list of SCSI drives it supports needs to be expanded to cover more of todays drives.  I still use it for all my backups and have found no bugs in it, so there is little need of support for it - just a way for new people to purchase it or otherwise get a copy in a legal way.

I also think KEDIT by Mansfield Software Group should be made available again.  I have used it as my main character editor for 14 years now, and have not run into any bugs in over 10 years, so again, support would only be in the form of information and how to use it...  John.

mnerlich

Game Links Golf 1.5 for OS/2

would be great, mn.
*** OS/2- and eCS-Fan from Germany ***

Andi710

MD+F SX-Paint II. Quite decent application that I continue to use for things like animated GIFs, and anti-aliased fonts. Is a little unstable (handle with care ;o) But overall pretty good.

ModZilla

MZ LIKE TO SEE PORTING OF MICRO STATION AND/OR INTERGRAPH ON THE UNIX BASED MOTOROLA 68000 HP GRAPHX STATION TO OS/2 WARP OR EVEN ON PCDOS 2000...AND WORKING AS GOOD AS IT DID SO BEAUTIFULLY ON UNIX BASED PC TERMINALS IN THE LATE 80'S, WITH EMAIL, BLOCK FILES AND CHAT, ET AL BUT I HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING JUST HOW TO PORT IT MYSELF EVEN TO DOS...AS THEN THERE WAS NO WINDOZE OR LINUX, ONLY DOS, BUT WITH OS/2 ON THE HORIZON THEN IT COULD HAVE HAPPENED IN BY THE  MID 90'S PERHAPS, BUT I WAS NOT FWD THINKING...IF ONLY I HAD THE KNOWLEDGE WAY BACK WHEN,  ACAD WOULD HAVE BEEN TOAST AND BY NOW OS/2 OPEN SOURCE MAY HAVE BEEN MORE VIABLE HAD IT HAPPENED? JUST KEEPING THE THOUGHT ALIVE, MAYBE JUST MAYBE...MZ
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

reini1976

MS PM Addon for WinNT 4
MS LanManager 2.2 (incl. OS/2 1.3)
all MS and IBM 16-bit SDK's and DDK's

Regards

reini1976

Dennis

magog

As reported bugs for Golden Code Java 1.4.1 are also not fixed (sound issues, large file support using NIO,...) this can also be called abandonware.

The best would be if GC opens their code to help to port newer Java versions like 1.6 and the upcoming 1.7 but obviously that's something they don't want to.
I also don't think that it helps GC to sit on their code to make GC Java 1.4.1 sell better.
Java 1.4 is dead. I see it but GC doesn't.

It costs more and more of my (free) time to port back newer Java applications to Java 1.4 as I did in the past with Azureus 2.x, Eclipse 3.2.x, Commonist 0.3.17 (http://djini.de/software/commonist/) and some other tools.
If the sources are not available it's even harder to do.
Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

Saijin_Naib

Is there any way to convince them to open up GC java out of the (lol) goodness of their hearts? There must be a way to convince them not to hoarde code they have no intention of ever using.

Phil

I would likto add Bluecad to the list.  Cadware ceased development on os2 ver in late 90's (still producing windoze ver)
Bluecad for os2 ver 1.0 and one update is available free.  I believe this is worthy of consideration.
Regards:
Phil

reini1976

MS OS/2 1.x DDK

Very, very hard to find.

Regards

reini1976

lpino

I would like:

• Mathematica for OS/2
  • WordPerfect 6.0 for OS/2 (beta never finished)
  • Maple for OS/2 (I have a copy somewhere)
  • Mathematica for OS/2
  • Mesa 2.2

That's to name a few.

Leonardo Pino