• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Virtual Box port bounty

Started by kim, 2007.09.29, 19:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.10.28, 08:17:33
I have the latest svn code compiling - just need to do some testing and maybe I can make something available publically.....

<sarcastic attempt at humor>
You know Paul, this is getting quite annoying! You post you're gonna have something available... and it takes almost an hour and a half!!! I remember the last time I was looking for something I really needed (new RxSQL), and it took a few MINUTES before you posted a link to a new build you put together!!!!
</sarcastic attempt at humor>
;)  :)  ;D  :)

What can I say? You're amazing!!!! You and the rest of the gang cranking out all these ports and programs deserve to be highly commended and thanked!!!

If I get around to playing with it, I'll post some feedback...

From all of us, thanks again!!!!

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

MrJinx

I kept getting to old version until I cleared my cache in firefox... :o
With the added files I get further but it complains about my HD image file.

[C:\PROGRAMS\VBOX]vditool new d:\hdaimg.hda 2048
vditool    Copyright (c) 2004-2007 innotek GmbH.

Creating VDI: file="d:\hdaimg.hda" size=2048 MB...
The operation completed successfully!

[C:\PROGRAMS\VBOX]vboxbfe -hda d:\hdaimg.hda -cdrom S: -boot d
VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Oct 28 2007 16:53:31
VMDK: descriptor does not start as expected in 'D:/hdaimg.hda'!
VBox status code: -3200 (VERR_VDI_INVALID_HEADER)
VD: error opening image file 'D:/hdaimg.hda'!
PIIX3 cannot attach drive to the Primary Master!
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_VDI_INVALID_HEADER)!
Error: VM creation failed with VERR_VDI_INVALID_HEADER.

Ideas? Anyone..

os2monkey

I just tried the same method to create a hard drive image as MrJinx above, and had the same error.
But then I downloaded virtualbox windows version onto a windows box, made a hard drive image there, and then copied that image over to the ECS machine.
I ran this:
VBoxBFE -m 256 -hda c:\win2k.vdi -cdrom S:

I then got the virtual box bootup welcome screen and pressed f12 to select a bootup drive.
If I pick either floopy or cdrom however as the boot drive it dies with this error:

!!Assertion Failed!!
Expression: <none>
Location  : U:/dev/virtualbox/vbox/src/VBox/Devices/PC/DevPcBios.cpp(579) int pc
biosIOPortWrite(PDMDEVINS*, void*, short unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned in
t)
PC BIOS panic at rombios.c(8935)

cytan

Any other success or failure stories up to this point?

cytan

David McKenna

No success here... like the others I can't get it to recognize any boot medium. I have tried to boot from floppy and CDROM. It always fails with the message: FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted. I have tried every switch on the command line listed by VBoxBFE but nothing helps.

David McKenna

Hmmm... I just noticed that VBoxC.dll listed at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Binaries_overview is missing from this build archive. Could this be a problem?

Dave McKenna

Paul Smedley

Quote from: David McKenna on 2007.11.01, 23:21:50
   Hmmm... I just noticed that VBoxC.dll listed at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Binaries_overview is missing from this build archive. Could this be a problem?

Dave McKenna
That binaries overview seems like it may be out of date - there is a VBoxXCOM.dll in the package which I think is the COM stuff

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.11.02, 01:04:09
Quote from: David McKenna on 2007.11.01, 23:21:50

Dave McKenna
That binaries overview seems like it may be out of date - there is a VBoxXCOM.dll in the package which I think is the COM stuff

Or I could have ballsed up and missed a couple of subdirectories when packaging the build (Thanks Trevor!).

Please try http://download.smedley.info/virtualbox-svn-20071103-os2.zip

MrJinx

I tried again with the latest build.
I destroyed the previous image file and re-created it with the new package. The hard drive image file is on a JFS volume.

[C:\PROGRAMS\VBOX]vditool new d:\hdaimg.hda 4096

Creating VDI: file="d:\hdaimg.hda" size=4096 MB...

VMDK: cannot read descriptor in 'D:/hdaimg.hda'!

The image file created is 16,896 bytes if that helps any.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: MrJinx on 2007.11.03, 06:34:47
I tried again with the latest build.
I destroyed the previous image file and re-created it with the new package. The hard drive image file is on a JFS volume.

[C:\PROGRAMS\VBOX]vditool new d:\hdaimg.hda 4096

Creating VDI: file="d:\hdaimg.hda" size=4096 MB...

VMDK: cannot read descriptor in 'D:/hdaimg.hda'!

The image file created is 16,896 bytes if that helps any.

I did some limited testing using virtualbox.exe (the gui frontend) and an iso of windows 2000 - i got as far as win2k booting from the iso image so appears things do work.....

os2monkey

Hi Paul,

I just downloaded your new package and it is working better (but still having an issue).
I can now run virtualbox.exe directly and the gui loads up fine without error now - and I can create the virtual computer and assign a hard drive image. But if I try to assign a host cdrom drive or floppy drive within the settings, it does not see any of my local drives. So there still appears to be an issue with floopy and cd/dvd boot drives (which I need to load my os from a cd).

Paul Smedley

Quote from: os2monkey on 2007.11.03, 09:39:41
Hi Paul,

I just downloaded your new package and it is working better (but still having an issue).
I can now run virtualbox.exe directly and the gui loads up fine without error now - and I can create the virtual computer and assign a hard drive image. But if I try to assign a host cdrom drive or floppy drive within the settings, it does not see any of my local drives. So there still appears to be an issue with floopy and cd/dvd boot drives (which I need to load my os from a cd).

I also saw the problem of not being about to select a drive letter from the gui - will look in to that when I get some free time.

You could always make an ISO of the cd so that you can install....

MrJinx

Well, It looks like making my xp install cd into an iso worked. In my previous post I was still having problems with the vditool. I went back and made a 2 gig instead of 4 gig vdi file, and have a almost completed xp install as I write this.
I was wonder if anyone knows how to get just the guest addins iso? Or do I need to download the windows version from innotek to get it?
I didn't see it in Paul's distro anywhere. More to follow.
Thanks Paul!!
It looks like a good start... :D 

David McKenna

Get the latest additions here: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.2/ . I haven't tried them myself yet. I have tried the latest build archive and can now start the VirtualBox GUI. Looks impressive. I also am not able to mount any CD or floppy drive. I tried creating a machine using default values and booting Damn Small Linux iso and it booted properly, but I can't use my keyboard in it at all. Mouse works OK, but I can't get the mouse out using the right <CTRL> key. Luckily <CTRL> <ESC> brings up the eCS task list. I've got to read more of the manual....

Thanks again to Paul!

Dave McKenna

MrJinx

After completing the XP-SP2 pro install, I was able to select standard windows resolutions. Mouse had to be captured to be usable. Host + P will pause the session, Host + P again resumes and releases the mouse.
After installing the Guest addins, Any attempt to change the resolution other than color depth, causes the vbox session to exit. Looking at the VBOXBFE log file. It looks like the call to resize fails.

Log created: 2007-11-03T08:51:00.148000000Z
Executable: C:\PROGRAMS\VBOX\VBOXBFE.EXE

!!Assertion Failed!!
Expression: f
Location  : U:/dev/virtualbox/vbox/src/VBox/Frontends/VBoxBFE/DisplayImpl.cpp(133) int VMDisplay::handleDisplayResize(int, int)

The mouse addin works fine, Seamless windows is not available. I have not been able to get NAT working or tried shared folders yet.

I am able to use vbox without trouble from the commandline but using the virtualbox exe, I get all the proper dialogs. I can mount iso(s) for the CD but not the actual drive. When starting a created profile, The Win XP image crashes before the splash screen(In the vbox window not vbox its self.)

Yet the same image file ran from vboxbfe boots up fine.