• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Chess from OS/2 to be open source software

Started by WarpWorld, 2012.01.05, 13:17:27

Previous topic - Next topic

WarpWorld

Hi people. What do you think about that? That's one of the finest computer chess for me (after Chessmaster when it was making by Mindscape).That chess was freeware and it could be distributed freely.IBM didn't have profit by it, so I don't see problem to open source of it. They (IBM) can release its source under different, own proprietary open source license, it's not important to be GPL,BSD... I tried to contact developers of chess, but I hadn't time and I wasn't successful so we can do it if we want.It would nice to see newer version of it, and to port it to Windows and Linux.

abwillis

Sorry, I wasn't able to fully follow... is it being open sourced or are you hoping to get it to be open sourced?

miturbide

Hi WarpWorld

Do you have the names and e-mail of the author (s)?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

WarpWorld

@abwilis- it was just freeware with closed source.

@martin- I don't have mails. Only what I have is this about developers:

The General, Robert E. Lee Jr.
Member: The A-Team.
The Applet Team (A-Team) of Developers within IBM.

Game is from 1996. and was integrated part of Warp 4 and 4.5, but anyone could install it as free game pack on Warp 3.

Pete

Hi All

Thought I'd posted a comment earlier but it has not shown up hours later so here is the gist again

Would be nice if this was open source as there would then be at least a chance of it getting fixed - crashes constantly after a short period of use here.

If I fancy a game of Chess I now use my old DOS chess game Battle Chess.

Regards

Pete

WarpWorld

Yeah, this will be good thing if it should be successful, to save that good game from oblivion, and disappearing from digital scene.
I played Battle chess, but I don't like it, it's so children-based because of animation, colors and cartoon figures.

This is screenshot how OS/2 Chess works under eCS, made by some Russian guys:

Pete

Hi

Yes, there are 2 options when playing Battle Chess:-

1] the 3d animated game

2] the 2d game - no sound or animation.

After the novelty of the 3d animated game wore off - xx years ago, last millennium even - I play the 2d game.

Of course what is missing from Battle Chess that OS/2 Chess has is the ability to rotate the board.

Regards

Pete