• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Network shared folder on virtual machine in a domain

Started by csanouk, 2012.01.19, 18:12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

csanouk

Hello,

I have on the same computer a windows XP and VirtualBox that run OS/2 Warp 4.5.
On Windows XP I use a virtual card mapped on the network card on OS/2.
I used a network shared folder on windows XP with OS/2.
On Windws XP I installed protocol NETBEUI and TCP/IP.
On OS/2 I installed protocol NETBIOS and NETBIOS over TCP/IP.
I use the command NET USE to create a disk mapped on the shared folder on Windows xp.
All it work even if the network cable is unplugged when I'm on a workgroup.
The problem is when I'm on a domain with Windows XP, the shared folder work when the network cable is plugged. I have an error with the command NET USE on OS/2 when the network cable is unplugged ("can't contact domain"). I use the virtual network card, I can ping the host (Windows XP). Why the physical network card (connected in the domain) is concerned for the network shared folder since it use the virtual network card?
Have you an idea where is the problem?
Thanks for your help.
Sanouk

RobertM

Most likely because with the external connectivity enabled, it is no longer using the loopback, and thus is using the "real" interface.

It's kinda like (in the TCP/IP world) the difference between connecting to 127.0.0.1 or the actual IP address (except both should always work) - I suspect with NETBIOS over TCPIP, it doesn't work that way when the actual interface is enabled and routing traffic.

But... that's just a guess. I haven't played with a similar configuration, so I cannot say for sure.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

csanouk

In my first configuration, I use only NetBEUI protocol between the host (Windows XP configured for the domain) and the guest (OS/2) that use the virtual netwok card to communicate. I don't understand why the netwok shared folder work when the physical network cable is plugged (domain can be join) and it doen't work when the physical network cable is unplugged (message erro in os/2 : "the domain control cannot be found)
In my second configuration,, I use NetBIOS over TCP/IP between the host and the guest and I have the same problem.

Thanks for your help

Sanouk

csanouk

Other information, for the NetBIOS over TCP/IP I used this tuto to help me:

http://www.mit.edu/activities/os2/peer/WARPPEER.HTM

Sanouk

RobertM

Quote from: csanouk on 2012.01.20, 11:39:02
Other information, for the NetBIOS over TCP/IP I used this tuto to help me:

http://www.mit.edu/activities/os2/peer/WARPPEER.HTM

Sanouk

NetBIOS over TCP/IP is of course the same thing Microsoft incorrectly calls NETBEUI (there is actually a protocol called NETBEUI (IBM, 1985,  NetBIOS Extended User Interface (NetBEUI)) that predates Microsoft's incorrect usage of the term by a couple years).

That aside, Microsoft has some issues in their "NETBEUI" and NETBIOS implementations that may be causing this issue. One I ran into is that when only binding NETBIOS in XP, it will still try to route certain traffic over the *UNINSTALLED* (heh) "NETBEUI" interface (interesting, that it binds it anyway, even though it shows it is not bound and has been removed).

What other bugs exist, I don't know - but I am wondering if there's some preference for using a "real" interface over the loopback when one is defined. If so, then you are out of luck. I do know that in early versions of XP, even certain TCP/IP traffic that should have been handled via the loopback, got passed to the "real" interface instead - perhaps it is more of the same, and never was fixed.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|