• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Suggestions for eCS as SOHO Server

Started by Terry, 2012.02.02, 23:49:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

I'm looking to install eCS v2.0 on a new SOHO desktop box to be used not only for standard OS/2-friendly apps, but; also as a server to a WinXP box & Vista laptop.

Recently, I've consolidated computer software into more accessible library/shelf storage. For example, I have "rediscovered" a quite extensive Lotus Notes (circa v4.6) collection including an OS/2 Domino Webserver Go v4.6.1; OS/2 VX-Rexx Client/Server V2.1; OS/2 VisualAge TeamConnection Enterprise Edition -- (+ some other VisualAge apps) among the OS/2 software apps -- DB2 on hand includes DB2 v5.2 & DB2 v6.1 UDBs -- And a ReportSmith that can be installed into Win-eCS for database reporting.

Question #1:[/b]  What newer "Server Applications" are OS/2 Forum members currently using and for what purposes?

Question #2:[/b]  Can any of these newer "Server Applications" may be coordinated with OS/2 apps mentioned above?

Question #3:[/b]  Is there a more newer "K-V-M approach" (or other desktop apps) to concurrently access WinXP & Vista boxes from eCS?

Perhaps, part of the fun and challenge, will be getting everything to communicate within the SOHO.

DougB

It is not entirely clear what kind of server(s) you are looking for. However, I will give this a try;

First, I know very little about any of the software that you listed. Most of it is pretty old, and I suspect that it is not used much any more.

Answer #1: I use the following:

SAMBA for LAN. SAMBA is compatible with later versions of windows. The server seems to be pretty solid, but EVFS/EVFSGUI seems to be pretty flaky. It works pretty well with XP and Win7.

Peter Moylan's mail server works very well.

Peter Moylan's FTP server works very well.

Web/2 works well as a very basic web server (HTML, CGI, etc.).

RSync has a server mode that works pretty good.

PM VNC server works well for remote desktop, when used with the VNC viewer.

There are more advanced servers available, but i know little about them.

Answer #2:

I have no idea.

Answer #3:

Not really sure what you are looking for here. I assume that SAMBA is what you are looking for, if you just want a local area network.

QuotePerhaps, part of the fun and challenge, will be getting everything to communicate within the SOHO.

As long as you have a working TCP/IP on each system, all of the above should work. Remember the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid).

rocalos2

Hello.
I'm using all server what you say. But I can't found documentation about web/2 on dink.org. The  site is down.
Best regards
Roberto Calzavara

Blonde Guy

I'm rebuilding my server at this time. I was using an all-IBM approach with Warp Server, Lotus Go, DB2 and WebSphere.

I'm planning to change to more modern servers. Samba is great with the following reservation.

Samba is quite a bit less reliable than the IBM file and print client. Any serious connections will work for a time, then fail. However, Samba also uses modern features which allow effortless connection from other operating systems, particularly Mac OS X newer than Panther. So I am going with Samba, and changing heavy applications to use something else. I suspect the problems with Samba are on the client in the NetDrive part anyway, because the same problems exist with NetDrive over FTP.

I'm planning to go to AMP plus Tomcat. I need a Java web application server, but I haven't tested one successfully yet.

There has been some great work on rsync, I'm planning to keep that as my backup scheme for my eCS computers. I don't know if it's a reasonable choice for MacOS or Windows. I have alternatives for Windows that look more attractive anyway. So rsyncd is a certain.

I need to set up SSL so I can have secure remote access. PMVNC is excellent with clients on all devices including iPad and Android.

I'm keeping Weasel and FtpServer because I'm used to them. I'm planning to implement an application repository for RPM.

I'm going to set up eCups for printing. This is far from satisfactory at this point, but I'll simply document and open bugs. I have printed with various versions of eCups and while none of my printers currently work on eCups, I will figure out how it's done.

That's about it. Progress will be slow because I'm actually kind of swamped with OS/2 software development work. Who'd have thought that possible in 2012?
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Pete

Hi Blonde Guy

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2012.02.07, 16:43:10

... I'm actually kind of swamped with OS/2 software development work. Who'd have thought that possible in 2012?

Really? Wow! ...

If you need to subcontract any software development I'm sure there are several people - including myself - who would be interested in helping you out  :-)

Regards

Pete

DougB

rocalos2
QuoteBut I can't found documentation about web/2 on dink.org. The  site is down.

Yes, Dink left a few years ago. I am not sure if there is any real documentation for Web/2. All I have is the package, with some samples., and all I use it for, is to run Web Family Tree (which is a cgi script). It isn't difficult to figure it out, just add a file called index.html, and it will load that when anybody accesses port 80 on your machine. index.html can be used to link to other pages to make a complete web site.

Blonde Guy
QuoteI suspect the problems with Samba are on the client in the NetDrive part anyway, because the same problems exist with NetDrive over FTP.

I don't have NetDrive, so I wasn't sure about that. I agree that the main problems are in the EVFS/EVFSGUI client. The latest ndpsmb.dll seems to work better, but it still has problems. I can't really tell if it is the dll, or if it is the GUI that causes the trouble,. I have found that  setting the cache timeout to 420 seconds, and the Listings to cache to 80 (the maximum), does make it work better, but not perfectly. FWIW, I don't see many problems when accessing the SAMBA server from XP or Win7, it is only the SAMBA client in eCS that seems to have serious problems.

Re: RSync:
QuoteI have alternatives for Windows that look more attractive anyway.

I have tested a package called DeltaCopy (server, and client, for windows), which is compatible with RSync. I don't really use it because I don't really use windows much, so I can't really say that it is reliable, but it does work.

QuoteI'm going to set up eCups for printing. This is far from satisfactory at this point, but I'll simply document and open bugs.

That has been my experience with CUPS too. I can get the test page to print, but it always cuts off the left hand half inch, no matter what I try. It seems to be something wrong in the page dimension calculations, but nobody seems interested in fixing it, and I don't know enough about it to even try. Of course, my printer (Canon i960) is old now, and it seems that there are not a lot of them left (best printer I ever had), so there isn't much point in pushing the issue.