• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

GEN MAC news?

Started by onlineuser2, 2012.02.20, 15:28:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Smedley

Quote from: eirik on 2012.03.01, 15:14:36

• Net access (wired and wireless)

Out of curiosity - what devices (PCI ID or brand/chipset) are people looking for support for? Obviously Mensys were looking at the Intel Wireless Driver as the enxt addition to Multimac, but I'm curious about what end users need?

miturbide

Hi Paul

As a end user I require support for the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 mini PCI wireless adapter.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

DougB

Hi Paul.

I would assume that anything that does actually work with GENMAC will be considered to be "supported", even if it needs to be run in "UNSUPPORTED" mode. So, new things that we have no support for, at the moment should be listed here, preferably with the product name, the vendor ID and the device ID, as described by the PCI program, when possible. Of course, if a new driver can also pick up something that is currently supported by GENMAC, that is very good.

My current requirement is for a Realtek RTL8191SEvB wireless LAN controller. [10EC:8172].

ivan

Hi Paul,

I'll add my request.  The Broadcom BCM5704  vid:14e4  dev:1648.

ivan

DougB

QuoteThe Broadcom BCM5704  vid:14e4  dev:1648.

Ivan, it seems that most, if not all, of the Broadcom BCM57xx devices use the same driver, so it is quite likely that your device will work with GENMAC. I added your device to the GENMU_TEST package at:

ftp://genmac@ftp.os2voice.org/

If it asks for a password, use the word "unsupported" (no quotes, and lower case). If it does work, I will add it to the GENMU package, and it may be possible to get it added to the GENMAC installer that comes with eCS 2.11 (if we are quick enough).

Sigurd

Hi Paul,

while I have no idea when or if ever the Mensys Multimac for Intel WLAN Devices will see the light of day I would like to add my

Intel WiFi Link 1000 BNG (8086:0083)

Adpater.

While looking for the "real" internal chipset - as it is a one year old laptop and Intel chipsets for WLAn should have a number from 5100 or 6100 up since then - I found this website:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=18201

from what I assume that it is the Intel 6XXX chipset (here named as 6200/6250 or 6300 chipset (wich do might differ only in case of the numbers of possible antennas (as far as I remeber 6100 has one antenna connectors, 6200 two and (no suprise) 6300 three)))).

So, it looks like I might do have the same as Martin does.

Please let me know if you decide to start and when you will start as I then would like to sponsor you.

Thanks

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Sigurd on 2012.03.04, 09:18:15
Please let me know if you decide to start and when you will start as I then would like to sponsor you.

I had from free time over the last couple of days... let me say... it will be non-trivial to say the least..

Just for the nl80211 layer that is used to configure the wireless driver, there is 270k of header files that need to be made to compile with Watcom (there are designed for use with gcc).  Add to that that in it's current form, multimac doesn't contain any of the linux/* header files - it implements those functions in it's own header files. I believe Steven and David are planning to change this, but at this stage, it would take a huge amount of work to get any current linux wifi driver compiling.  After a few hours spent, I still was getting errors for the configuration headers.

Even once this is done and the driver is compiling, wpa_supplicant will need to be built with support for nl80211 too - I enabled it but got a bunch of errors due to missing definitions in headers.  I didn't have time to investigate further.

Cheers,

Paul

eirik

Some days ago Paul asked what WiFi drivers people were looking for in a WiFi MultiMac project. Given that many eCS users go for Lenovo Thinkpads, the Intel Centrino 6xxx series looks like a good bet.  Paul remarks that this is well embedded in Mensys' plans, but just to be on the safe side :-)

After failing to get the GenMac Intel 4965 driver to work the Intel 5xxx and 6xxx series (I was involved with this attempt), the arguments for WiFi MultiMac driver become even more profound.

Eirik