• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Sound in Virtual PC 5.1 (for os/2 host)

Started by os2monkey, 2012.03.18, 01:33:46

Previous topic - Next topic

os2monkey

I seem to be having problems getting sound to work in virtual pc 5.1 running windows 2000 (in ecomstation 2.1).
I loaded the tweaker settings and checked off "enable sound in virtual machines".. yet when I load up the windows 2000 box there is no sound.
The drivers appear to be installed and working in windows, just no sound.

My card is AC97 Audio Codec · ADI 1981 HD, and i'm using the generic AC'97 ecomstation alsa drivers, and it works fine in ecomstation.
I did read on this page that maybe only the soundblaster live works well:
http://home.earthlink.net/~planetecs/VirtualPC.htm

So i'm not sure if it's just that my built in sound card is not supported.
Just curious if anyone has experience with that though.

Thanks!

Blonde Guy

It's probably not your sound card, but your sound driver. Switch to uniaud, and it will probably work.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Pete

Hi

As the recent/current builds of uniaud do not support sound in VirtualPC there is not much point in trying them.

As it is an AC'97 device with an AD1981 mixer - no mention of the soundchip though - I would suggest backleveling uniaud to 114RC6 and then testing.

Regards

Pete

abwillis

Quote from: Pete on 2012.03.18, 03:10:51
Hi
As the recent/current builds of uniaud do not support sound in VirtualPC there is not much point in trying them.
As it is an AC'97 device with an AD1981 mixer - no mention of the soundchip though - I would suggest backleveling uniaud to 114RC6 and then testing.
Regards
Pete
Actually, being an AC'97 chipset, Uniaud should work just fine with it.  The problem is with the newer chipsets.
Andy

os2monkey

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2012.03.18, 01:35:18
It's probably not your sound card, but your sound driver. Switch to uniaud, and it will probably work.

It looks to me like I am using Uniaud.
When the system boots i'm seeing a messaging saying "Universal Audio Drivers mmpm/2 1.9.5" or something similar to that.
And looking at the config.sys I see:
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\UNIAUD32.SYS /V
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\UNIAUD16.SYS /V /C

So should I try to downgrade to an older version?.. and if so how to you downgrade with the newer one currently installed - meaning do I just run the installer for the older version, or do I have to remove this one first.

Also, my computer is a IBM ThinkCentre 8215-A1U. So far I've not been able to find the specific audio chip in to specs - it just says "AC97 Audio Codec · ADI 1981 HD" under audio specs.

os2monkey

Actually,
I figured out how to uninstall it.
114-RC6 seemed to install fine, and appears to load in my config sys fine, but there is no sound on the whole system.
114-RC7 reports an error initializing the card at boot.

I then install 191-1922.zip, which has the same effect as my original drivers - the ecomstation system sounds are working fine but no audio in virtual pc.

So any other ideas?

Thanks

os2monkey

Well iv'e decided to give a sound blaster live pci card a try. Should I use the uniaud drivers, or the older os/2 specific os/2 drivers, when it gets here?

marcbryant

I had the same problem.  Had to use a SB card and the audio drivers from ecomstation 1.2.

os2monkey

Quote from: marcbryant on 2012.03.19, 02:23:51
I had the same problem.  Had to use a SB card and the audio drivers from ecomstation 1.2.

Hi, Which audiio drivers are those? You mean the older uniaud, or something else?

marcbryant

The drivers on the ecomstation 1.2 disk.

melf

I decided to try VPC5.1 on eCS 2.1. It was some years since I used it. I use XP SP3 on VPC where Soundblaster 16 i installed (default it seems). On eCS I have an AC97 (SoundMAx) and using Uniaud delivered with eCS2.1. Sound works fine! This may not help you, but at least you know it might work..

However I have another problem, which I'll describe in a new thread.
/Mikael

os2monkey

Quote from: melf on 2012.03.20, 16:25:14
I decided to try VPC5.1 on eCS 2.1. It was some years since I used it. I use XP SP3 on VPC where Soundblaster 16 i installed (default it seems). On eCS I have an AC97 (SoundMAx) and using Uniaud delivered with eCS2.1. Sound works fine! This may not help you, but at least you know it might work..

However I have another problem, which I'll describe in a new thread.
Hmm... strange since I had selected AC97 during the 2.1 install, and am also using Uniaud but it doesn't work for me.. but maybe there is something different with our specific chipsets.
I just received my soundblaster card so hopefully it will work.

os2monkey

Quote from: marcbryant on 2012.03.19, 16:28:12
The drivers on the ecomstation 1.2 disk.
Well I don't have the ecomstation 1.2 disk (just 2.1) - so i'll just have to try some of the older uniaud drivers I guess, if the default ones don't work with my soundblaster card.
But maybe i'll get lucky and it will just work with it.