• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VPC5.1 - vpc and desktop freezes when I'm about to connect to the Internet

Started by melf, 2012.03.20, 16:42:09

Previous topic - Next topic

abwillis

Quote from: DougB on 2012.03.22, 07:52:21
I also use VPC 5.1 on my ThinkPad T43, with GENMAC drivers for the Broadcom NIC, and Intel (2915) WiFi. I don't think I ever even considered using VPC with the WiFi, but I just tried it, and it, somehow, disables the NIC, so it won't connect. It does work fine on the wired NIC, using DHCP for the host, and the clients.
It disables the wireless NIC as it tries to go into promiscuous mode (it is seen as two NICs by the router - in fact we used to have to use NAT at work with a VM solution as the ports were setup to be disabled if seeing more than one NIC attached).  I don't know if that is merely a driver limitation or not.
To use it with WiFI connection requires binding the VS to the wired NIC and then having the wired NIC set with a static IP in a different subnet than the WiFI is on
(e.g. 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) and having a static route set on the router so that calls to the one subnet forward to the other... I don't recall the details.  On Lewis Rosenthal's wireless list there are details written up by Dave Saville on how to do it.

RobertM

Quote from: melf on 2012.03.22, 17:54:08
Thanks for info Doug. I just tried NAT in a wired connection (Broadcom Netextreme ,B57). It worked the same way, ie freezing. Well, I'll go on experimenting, and see what's happening.

And Broadcom with virtual switch - no freeze but no go... :-) .

There are about a half dozen BC57 drivers on Hobbes. I found, for my BC57 based NICs, i had to try a bunch before i found one that worked correctly. Neither the IBM supplied or eCS v1.2 supplied ones worked.

(Cards in question are built into an IBM x440)

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

melf

Yes, of course you're right, there are a lot of them. The one delivered with eCS2.1 works for me (my problem turned out to be my XP setup inside VPC), but only if setup as lan0, which seem to some golden rule if also having a wireless card.
/Mikael