• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB when booting from CD

Started by GCarmer, 2007.11.27, 20:44:28

Previous topic - Next topic

GCarmer

How can I enable USB ports to use flash drives when booting from a Warp 4.51 CD?

Pete

Quote from: GCarmer on 2007.11.27, 20:44:28
How can I enable USB ports to use flash drives when booting from a Warp 4.51 CD?

Hi

Not having installed 4.5x myself I have no idea if the CD has the same sort of pre-boot menu as eCS which allows the setting of various options including USB support.

Are you actually trying to install or just booting from the CD for maintenance purposes?

If "Yes" to "maintenance purposes" then Bootable may be the answer to your problem; boot to a Desktop with working network and internet plus whatever apps you decide to add. Works great  :-)

Bootable can be found here  http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/index.html

If trying to install maybe you could look into creating a set of install floppies with that support included or creating a new CD with updated drivers and whatever support you need added.

I'm not quite sure how to go about that; UpdateCD  http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm  can be used to update an existing install CD image with newer drivers etc but I have no idea if you could add the support you need. Might be worth looking into though.

Regards

Pete

Robert Deed

You would need to edit the bootable part of the cd in order to enable USB during the boot process (it is normally disabled). 

A work around would be if your computer has a bios which will fake the flash drive as a hd.  My PC does this when USB is set to "Legacy" mode.   This will also clone the USB mouse and keyboard as PS/2 versions for OS's which don't recognize USB keyboards and mice.

Quote from: GCarmer on 2007.11.27, 20:44:28

GCarmer

Gentlemen,

The systems that I work on use the original Warp 4.51 installation. I created a bootable CD using the original drivers that came with Warp 4.51. I use the disk as a diagnostic tool to partition, format, CHKDSK, backup, and restore the operating system.

I cannot use Bootable or eCs boot CDs because the drivers in those packages are much newer that the ones used in our systems, and when I use the diagnostic tools like LVM to create partitions, the original OS does not recognize the partition. I cannot upgrade the systems with newer drivers.

What I have been trying quite unsuccessfully at doing is adding USB drivers to my boot CD. These are the statements in my CONFIG.SYS.

BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS /V
BASEDEV=CWUSBD.SYS /V
BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /FIXED_DISKS:0 /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE
DEVICE=usbresmg.sys

Everything seems to load correctly. When it boots up, I can run all of the diagnostics on my CD. But as soon as I plug in a flash drive, I get a system halt. The trap error states the there was a problem with USBUHCD$.

I have added these same statements into the CONFIG.SYS for the system booting from the hard drive on my test system and they work fine. I can read and write to the flash drive. The problem is that I cannot make any changes to our live systems.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Pete

Hi George

1] Bootable uses whatever drivers you have installed; LVM is optional.

2] The USB drivers supplied with 4.51 do not work very well for mass storage devices; they need updating.

3] The even older CW USB drivers may be of some use but from posts I have seen they are not as much use as the last IBM USB driver release.

4] Bit surprised you do not get errors during boot with a config.sys usb section like that :-)
Either use the CW driver or the IBM driver but not Both versions of the same driver - you may also want to check      what USB Controllers and how many are involved.

I suggest updating all IBM USB and IDE drivers plus Danis506.add and daniatapi.flt drivers to current levels for at least the system that you are trying to create this CD on.

Once you have functioning USB Mass Storage support create a Bootable CD without Desktop or networking support. With luck it will work to boot all similar (near identical hardware) systems but the CD/DVD drive letter needs to be exactly the same on all systems ie if you create a Bootable CD in drive S: then that CD will only work in systems that have S: as the CD/DVD drive letter.

If you decide to update the IBM USB drivers USBcfg could be of help in getting USB configuration correct  http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

Note: USBcfg does *Not* work with CWUSB drivers at all.

Regards

Pete

pphhee

I may be wrong but :

BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
BASEDEV=CWUSBUHC.SYS /V
BASEDEV=CWUSBD.SYS /V
BASEDEV=CWUSBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:1 /FIXED_DISKS:0 /FORCE_TO_REMOVABLE
DEVICE=usbresmg.sys

Everything seems to load correctly. When it boots up, I can run all of the diagnostics on my CD. But as soon as I plug in a flash drive, I get a system halt. The trap error states the there was a problem with USBUHCD$.

I see only one instance for your UHCI.
Does that means that you have only ONE UHCI controller on your PC?

I would add as much as controllers (also EHCI and OHCI) theire are in your system.