• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Thunderbird development discontinued?

Started by melf, 2012.07.09, 12:24:43

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

/Mikael

miturbide

Hi Melf.

Even that the logical step seems to use the browser for mail reading, and even that I kind of get used to Gmail and I found it nice to use. I still got the strange feeling on wanting to download all my emails to my workstation and have it in a place where I can backup them myself.

I'm really going to miss Thunderbird. Some years ago I thought that Mozilla was going to reinforce it, but it never happened.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

aschn

Please note the question mark in Melf's posting.

That's (still?) not the end of Thunderbird. Development will probably be continued by
those people who worked on it before without payment. What has happened is
that the Foundation decided to move developers from one project to the other
and to abandon it. The same has happened with the Mozilla suite/SeaMonkey - but
it's still alive (and well).

Andreas

melf

Thanks Andreas for the clarification of what's happening with Thunderbird.

Martin, I don't think your attitude is strange. I'm not myself very fond of having different kind of data in the so called "cloud", that is, on private companies servers. Also I think that webmail is a lot more awkward to use.
/Mikael

dryeo

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.07.09, 16:02:11
Even that the logical step seems to use the browser for mail reading, and even that I kind of get used to Gmail and I found it nice to use. I still got the strange feeling on wanting to download all my emails to my workstation and have it in a place where I can backup them myself.

I'm really going to miss Thunderbird. Some years ago I thought that Mozilla was going to reinforce it, but it never happened.

I just download my Gmail mail to Thunderbird and post it back through Gmail using pop and smpt. LDAP also works if you want to keep everything in sync.
As Andreas pointed out, Mozilla isn't killing Thunderbird, they're just reassigning the paid developers to the mobile version of Firefox. Releases will continue but will mostly be bug and security fixes and any enhancements the community adds.

bottomtop

The thing that really clinched Thunderbird as the ideal solution for me was the extensions.  With Thunderbird, Lightning, SoGo and Davmail, I can connect to our workplace Exchange Webmail Server from anywhere and use my laptop as a thick client with full mail, calendar and LDAP support (including offline sync).   Even if the current feature set is locked down, I'm a happy camper!

But a word of warning - the "mystery crash" in thunderbird is related to the popup calendar reminders through lightning.   Turn those off and its smooth sailing (apart from the occassional random crash when trying to print).

Blonde Guy

Quote from: bottomtop on 2012.07.11, 00:45:12
The thing that really clinched Thunderbird as the ideal solution for me was the extensions.  With Thunderbird, Lightning, SoGo and Davmail, I can connect to our workplace Exchange Webmail Server from anywhere and use my laptop as a thick client with full mail, calendar and LDAP support (including offline sync).   Even if the current feature set is locked down, I'm a happy camper!

But a word of warning - the "mystery crash" in thunderbird is related to the popup calendar reminders through lightning.   Turn those off and its smooth sailing (apart from the occassional random crash when trying to print).

Are you doing this with the eCS version of Thunderbird?

Neil
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

bottomtop

Yes - the most recent Thundebird port 10.0.?

It wasn't possible to use Davmail on EcS/OS2 until Java6 became available.