• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VLC player Port

Started by miturbide, 2008.01.06, 18:16:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

The first port of VLC Player arrived. Its a Technical Preview made by KO Myung-Hun, dont expect that everything will work as its still in development. You can download it from hobbes
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/incoming/vlc-1.0.5-tp1.zip Check the readme for requirements, addtional it needs the gcc442 lib.

sXwamp

I'm getting this error!

"Cannot determine unprivileged user for VLC!"

Can anyone get this to run?

Tellie

Hi, It's running here, but mpg and/ or avi is not running.

There are minimum features to compile and to run.
--plugin-path should be specified whenever run vlc

Ex) vlc --plugin-path=/usr/local/lib/vlc
And when try to run a mpg i get:

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

miturbide

About VLC Player port.

Let's check KO Myung-Hun port:

Search: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=vlc-1.0.5-tp1
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

sXwamp

Thank you KO Myung-Hun,

VLC media player v1.0.5 for OS/2 Beta 1 The cross-platform open-source multimedia framework, player and server VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, DivX, MPEG-1, mp3, ogg, aac ...) as well as DVDs, Audio CDs VCDs, and various streaming protocols.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=lc-1.0.5-beta1&pushbutton=Search

The streaming is better than WarpVision and mPlayer for me, but it does get out up snyc sometimes. It's only in beta, but I think it will definitely be better than WarpVision and mPlayer, any thoughts?

I'm getting an extra pay check on the first, is anyone willing to match $50 USD for KO Myung-Hun's hard work on VLC ???

Greggory

Pete

Hi Greggory

I take that vlc delivers audio with the video on your system?

When I installed vlc a week or 2 ago it seemed to work fine but now, without changing any settings, I cannot get any audio from vlc.

Any configuration tips to resolve this?

Regards

Pete

sXwamp

Quote from: Pete on 2010.06.23, 21:15:57
Hi Greggory

I take that vlc delivers audio with the video on your system?

When I installed vlc a week or 2 ago it seemed to work fine but now, without changing any settings, I cannot get any audio from vlc.

Any configuration tips to resolve this?

Regards

Pete

I'm running eCS 2.0GA with default uniaud16.sys and Paul's uniaud32.sys 1.9.22.   I had the same problem when I first installed VLC, but under preferences=>Audio , I changed the output to Simple DirectMedia Layer audio output and that got the sound working for me! Note: quit and restart VLC each time  you change the audio options.

Hope this helps!

Greggory

Pete

Hi Greggory

eCS2.0GA comes with an updated uniaud16.sys and uniaud32.sys build 1.9.22 - neither of which are any use with the hardware here and are responsible for continual looping sounds so I've backlevelled those to usable versions.

You may be interested to know there is a uniaud 1.9.22 update here ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud/Uniaud191-1922.zip.

It does improve on the builds supplied with eCS2.0GA - only takes 3 attempts to boot without looping sounds here whereas with the eCS2.0GA versions system sounds had to be turned off to avoid the problem - but is still not as good as the builds I am using which rarely have the looping sound problem.

I did have vlc working fine using K Audio and have no idea why it stopped working. Having changed that to Simple DirectMedia Layer audio I now have sound.

This is probably an important tip for those who did not know:  "Note: quit and restart VLC each time  you change the audio options."

Thanks

Pete

sXwamp

Quote from: Pete on 2010.06.24, 01:21:07
Hi Greggory

....It does improve on the builds supplied with eCS2.0GA - only takes 3 attempts to boot without looping sounds here whereas with the eCS2.0GA versions system sounds had to be turned off to avoid the problem - but is still not as good as the builds I am using which rarely have the looping sound problem.....

Thanks

Pete

Trying taking out the QRYMMCD.EXE demon from the config.sys and reboot.  I was lucky that it was the cause of my looping problem not had a problem since.

Greggory

Pete

Hi Greggory

What is the purpose of the QRYMMCD.EXE demon? - I'd just like to know before considering REMming that line.

I'm not that sure it will make any difference anyway as every uniaud32 later than 1.9.2 does not get Control IDs correct which I suspect may be part of the looping sound problem.

The output of unimix -list > ad1988.txt for uniaud32 1.9.2 shows Control ID3 for Headphone Playback Volume and Control ID4 for Headphone Playback Switch. All later uniaud32 builds have Headphone Playback Volume missing and show Control ID3 as Headphone Playback Switch - which means that every Control ID >2 is incorrect with the later builds.

Regards

Pete

sXwamp

Quote from: Pete on 2010.06.24, 02:55:02
Hi Greggory

What is the purpose of the QRYMMCD.EXE demon? - I'd just like to know before considering REMming that line.

Regards

Pete

It has to do with the Audio CD.

> Queries the Audio CD
> >
> Source: > Source:
> >
> cfgdat09.htm > cfgdat09.htm .  

I haven't missed anything after taking it out of my CONFIG.SYS.   I would recommend trying it, because it solved my problems and I now have a pretty stable system now!  All I know that it works for some and doesn't work for others, also Roderick Klein recommended it first.

Greggory

Pete

Hi Greggory

I put a REM at the start of the QRYMMCD.EXE config.sys line and agree that it does not seem to cause any problems. I can still play audio CDs - and I have not had looping/repeating sounds at all with the 114rc6 uniaud16.sys.

I'm currently testing the uniaud16.sys from ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud/Uniaud191-1922.zip - seems good so far but I've only booted a couple of times since installing this build.

I'm not testing either of the available uniaud32.sys 1.9.22 builds as the mixer Control IDs are so incorrect.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi Greggory

I cannot recommend the uniaud16.sys from ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud/Uniaud191-1922.zip as it seems to slow the system down considerably if sounds are involved. An example would be Klondike Solitaire which takes much longer to deal and move cards when using this uniaud16.sys build.

Back to using the uniaud16.sys from uniaud114rc6 ...

Regards

Pete

The Blue Warper

Quote from: Pete on 2010.06.24, 02:55:02

The output of unimix -list > ad1988.txt for uniaud32 1.9.2 shows Control ID3 for Headphone Playback Volume and Control ID4 for Headphone Playback Switch. All later uniaud32 builds have Headphone Playback Volume missing and show Control ID3 as Headphone Playback Switch - which means that every Control ID >2 is incorrect with the later builds.

I suspect that might be related to the recently added ability to adjust headphone volume (see http://svn.netlabs.org/uniaud/changeset/486 ).  If I understand correctly, the ID count was thus increased by one.
Have you tried manually setting your values for each ID?

Pete

Hi Blue Warper

uniaud32 1.9.22 simply does not list a Control ID for headphone volume; uniaud32 1.9.2 does.

Looks like the "recently added ability to adjust headphone volume" actually removed that ability for my hardware.

Regards

Pete