• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Warpstock Europe 2007

Started by warpcafe, 2007.06.11, 12:24:30

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Hi all,

first let me apologize for the headline. That was a teaser to attract your attention. ;-)
Yep, put the blame on me, but the reason is worth it, I believe...

Some time ago, Christian Hennecke and I have started a "discussion" in the Netlabs wiki (at wiki.netlabs.org) about plans and an approach to set up websites for Warpstock Europe events or "warp events" in general. We have got pretty far and into details describing what such website should offer and be like and why.
Since we initially started, that page was hit around 1100 times. But I couldn't find any feedback or comments or whatever except correction of misspelled words and other such stuff. Nah, come on!

As I know that it sometimes is tedious to get a hold on the means to provide feedback and given the fact you are reading this thread here at os2world.com, I just wanted to point you to this subject again:

We are waiting for feedback, suggestions and criticism regarding the ideas we have put down.

Why should you care?
Well, I guess most of us enjoy Warpstock Europe events or "Warp events" at least, even if we don't go there for arbitrary reasons.
The discussed website(s) will make it easier to set up future events (we hope), keep people in touch, provide news and finally give a better impression of a community that is still "alive".
They will help us share knowledge, resources (people, devices...), experiences and contacts (facilities, organisation, etc.).
And last but not least, in their final stage, they will provide a real-time snapshot view of what is happening in warp events around the world at any day.

Who should participate in the discussion?
You might think this is only relevant to people
- running events or
- planning to run events or
- have run events in the past
- are part of some organisation/team/club/user group
Nope, Sir - have we got news for you:
EVERYONE (!) who has an interest in seeing warp events happening is welcome!

What can you do?
Tell us if you are missing something! We all have somehow "narrowed perspectives" on event planning, organisation and community websites.
What Christian and I have gathered might not pay attention to something you might want to see.
Or tell us about your experiences with community websites, CMS systems, whatever might possibly help us.

How can you participate?
First, go to http://wiki.netlabs.org/index.php/Warpstock_Europe_Websites and get an impression on what it's about.
Then either ask for a wiki account (explained in top part of wiki page) and start putting your stuff in there.
Or - if you don't like wikis, netlabs or messing around with incorporating your feedback into other people's stuff, simply use a reply to this thread here at os2world to share your thoughts.

What if I don't add my 2 cents?
You will not be allowed to complain about "no event updates" or "no event news" or "no events at all".
You have been warned. ;-)

Sincerely looking forward to your feedback,
Thomas
(aka WarpCafe, co-organizer of Warpstock Europe 2006 at Cologne, Germany)

P.S.:
I didn't mean to show-off with that "co-organizer..." bla-bla: That was just to show I'm taking this serious...

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

kim

One things that I think is missing out from the Warpstock Europe event is more dialog and discussions - Often during presentations that people have found very interesting there is often way too less time to talk and discuss the topic itself. The improvement could either be done by adding specific time to each of the presentation for this and as well I think that there should be a great interest for quite a few to have as well moderated discussion sessions as well where a specific topic is on the table.

warpcafe

Hi Kim,

I definitely agree.
I remember that US Warpstocks (in the past) seem to have kind of public discussion sessions... not sure if memory serves... but that is indeed a good idea.
It might not have any direct impact on the website stuff, but future organizers surely will welcome that suggestion and also we (the website "guys") should keep in mind that people might want to have a way of providing a wishlist upfront - be it in matters of topics or suggestions like this one. So it indeed has some impact on the website "features".

Thanks for the feedback - it's appreciated!!

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy