• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eros2's Screensaver Modules

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.01.27, 18:26:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Eros2's Modules: http://eros2.info/ssaver_modules_en.shtml

Hey guys, I was thinking that eros2's screensaver modules look really awesome, and were in fact VERY cool when I used them for Desktop Painter, so I asked him yesterday if he would ever port them to Doodle. He said that he was too busy to do it, but I was welcome to the sources so that I could port them to Doodle. Thing is, as you all know, I am no programmer :C So, I now have the packages, and the Doodle Sources. Now, I am stuck. I have NO idea what needs to be done from here. I tried to read the Doodle, manual but its not descriptive enough, I dont understand what I have to do. If anyone could help me out or perhaps try and port for me? That would be awesome! I think Doodle's Screensaver could really use some new modules, and these modules are bad-ass :D

Doodle

Hi there,

Sorry to say that I don't have time to port them either, but please let me know if I can help you in any other ways!
I'd be interested in which manual you've read (which is not descriptive enough), so I may extend it.

Anyway, to create new screen saver modules, one has to download the sources of DSSaver (these are in the "srcbin" packages). That package has a readme.txt, which tells that you'll need the OpenWatcom C/C++ compiler and the OS/2 Developer's Toolkit to be able to compile the sources. The first one is freely downloadable, the second one is on one of the eCS CDs.

Then, there is a PDF in the package, called SSaver Programmers Guide, which describes the possibilities and the API of the screen saver system. You should read that one too, to get an idea on how the DSSaver core and its modules cooperate.

Bye,
  Doodle

Saijin_Naib

I was referring to the SS Programmers Guide.pdf, but it only seems not descriptive enough because I don't know how to program at all and I'm at quite a loss as to where to start! I have both your sources and eros2's sources and I took your blank module and I think that I will try and make a simple screensaver off of that so that I can get an idea of how this works. If I can figure that out, I will try and see if I can get the eros2 modules to port over to your screesaver. But first, I have to set up the build stuff. I just got the Open Watcom C compiler from their site. Its an installer .exe, so at least I wont mess that part up :P I chose full install, not sure if I need it or not, but it cant hurt right? I am just very daunted by all the source files, I dont really know what has to be changed where for it all to come together and work. Thanks for the help so far doodle, you got me pointed in the right direction. Hopefully I can figure something out before too long.

jep

Hello Sajin_Naib,

have you got something for us to try, any progress?!

Can we help each other to find something out?!
Perhaps someone else may be able to give a hint or 2 to create something?!

I've now compiled Doodles examples and would like to learn something that can result in graphical output, why not a screen saver module?!

//Jan-Erik

Saijin_Naib

No, sorry Jep. I gave up a while ago -_- I couldn't get things to compile without pages of errors, so I just stopped.

jep

Hello,

Well, I don't have lxlite here, but OpenWatcom and the os2toolkit... sure it tell you that things doesn't compile right, but it does work, just answer that you don't want it to delete the files and you're one step futher. :-)

The problems you may face is that the code expect you to have certain images placed in a hardcoded path, but that's something one can live with, as one want the code to compile and show some output.

The result is that e.g. some images may not show up, but all you have to do is to change the paths in some source files.

You should tehn use the tester tool, just drag & drop the .dll's and you'll get a window with a preview and some buttons to test it. Doodle has done a great job, even though the error messages may seem problematic.

//Jan-Erik