• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

GNASH open source Flash 7

Started by miturbide, 2007.05.17, 04:39:11

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Hi Robert,

of course you were right when donating to him directly, as it was not tied to the specific bounty!

And from that perspective... I fear that my attempt to sponsor "Paul" by sponsoring the "GNASH" bounty might have missed the intention. But that is neglectable, as at the end of the day Paul gets some money in an "official" way (so that other people are aware of it) and that's all I wanted. ;-)

In general, I think we must try to clearly separate bounties from feedback or, to put it that way - don't use bounties as a way of feedback. ...and by saying "we must try" I actually mean myself. ;-)

At some point, it is getting difficult: The bounty system is a very tentative way of giving feedback in a "public" way so that everyone can see that someone has done something for a developer. I think we also need "public" ways of providing *feedback* - e.g. when I say "thank you, Paul" it should be visible to everyone, maybe this encourages other users to do the same.
Perhaps many folks out there might think "A developer won't care if I say only <thanks>..." and that is something that can be changed by letting everyone else see your thankfulness... even (and especially) without money.

One of such ways of public feedback/thanks is an award - like the os/2 world awards. We should have such things (or better additional, different things) on a more frequent basis...?

Oops. Getting off-topic too much, I think I should make this an article...

Greetings
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

kim

And here is another OT of this thread. But, another way to provide feedback is to use the comment feature that is available in all news articles, if you haven't noticed, then check the lower right corner - if it says (0) Comments then there is no comments to the posted articles.

Hopefully if people finds it hard to post an e-mail to a developer then use the comment feature also I know sometimes that some developers keeps their e-mail addresses out of the documentation due to spam. For me a comment to an article could as well be a mini-review of the application itself with a fancy screenshoot.

Paul Smedley

Hi All,

Quote from: kimhav on 2007.05.22, 11:34:24
And here is another OT of this thread. But, another way to provide feedback is to use the comment feature that is available in all news articles, if you haven't noticed, then check the lower right corner - if it says (0) Comments then there is no comments to the posted articles.

Hopefully if people finds it hard to post an e-mail to a developer then use the comment feature also I know sometimes that some developers keeps their e-mail addresses out of the documentation due to spam. For me a comment to an article could as well be a mini-review of the application itself with a fancy screenshoot.

Wow - I didn't mean to spark such a big OT discussion :)

Note that I really do appreciate people's contributions, whether it be through the links at my site or through the Bounty system - it's nice to know that people appreciate the stuff that I do.

I didn't mean to come across as whinging - although I am English so it does happen sometimes :P (ie whinging pom - probably only the Aussies will get this!!) - just expressing that if developers don't hear about people using the port, then they may assume that's because nobody is using them and stop updating them.

My focus on updating ports is:
a) something I use myself
b) stuff I receive feedback on or find out that people ARE actually using

Other developers I've spoken to feel the same way - they spend many hours working on a piece of software, then receive no feedback.  I'm lucky in that most of my ports are hosted on download.smedley.info which is at Mensys and they provide me download statistics so that I can at least see that things are being downloaded and presumably they're being used...

Anyway... back to work :)

Cheers,

Paul.

warpcafe

Hi Kim,

RIGHT! That's true, good point.

( Funny enough, I wanted to do a comment on something yesterday but wasn't logged in. I was taken to the login, logged in, got back to the comment link, but when clicking it, I was redirected back to the "you're not logged in" screen. Hmm... then I found out that it might be a browser (cache, whatever) issue and shut down/restarted my browser, did my login FIRST, and THEN tried to use the comment-link. It works. )

Using the comments links however makes sense only, if the article/news was submitted by the author himself. If one of our news editors / admins is doing the announcement, we can still provide "thanks" visible to anyone (at os2world.com) but perhaps not the author himself.
Still, that's a good idea - will do that in the future. ;-)

Regards,
Thomas

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

kim

I agree that if the author hasn't posted the information themself but still I know from the old forum that sooner or later the author of an application usually finds the way to the comments and reads them. Might not be that they actually answer any of the question, suggestions or negative comments or what ever posted. But, suddenly there is actually some kind of feedback. Also I think that posting comments on a site, in a forum, might be bit easier since it's kind of more anonymous, ie you're not facing or speaking directly to the reciever.

It's all about getting over that there are no stupid question and the only stupid questions are the ones that you didn't ask. As well, I think that the tone in this forum is kind of nice and open minded, at least it's what I think, and this hopefully helps out a bit to take the first step to post comment or something at all. I know quite a few people that got them self burnt when posting questions or suggestions in usenet groups - so far I think we done a good work to avoid that within this forum.

rcsteiner

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.05.18, 12:09:01Personally, I gotta say, that one of the things that pisses me off the most about the OS/2/eComStation community is the general complete lack of feedback.

I'd give you tons of feedback, but I don't think I actually use any of your ports.  :-(  I have a lot of ported UNIX stuff in my software collection, of course, but it's mostly stuff like Links, slrn, pine, mc, an older XFree86 plus various apps (GIMP, XV, etc.), etc.
--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

Blonde Guy

I just tried gnash on the oddtodd collection, and I didn't achieve playback. Here one of many test files that don't play on my system -- http://www.oddtodd.com/laidoff2.swf

It gives this information when it fails:
mdb:110, lastbuf:0 skiping granule 0
Assertion failed: data_size > pos, file sound_handler_sdl.cpp, line 609

Killed by SIGABRT
pid=0x0073 ppid=0x0068 tid=0x0008 slot=0x00e1 pri=0x0400 mc=0x0001
N:\P\GNASH\GNASH.EXE

All of the flash files on the website will play in the 7.14 version of innotek player. The example I gave will play in the Flash 5 or maybe even Flash 4 player.

Neil
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

kim

Ouch! This morning we recieved another 200 USD to this bounty (!) and the total value is currently now 370 USD and that is the highest amount that we so far have had on a single bounty!

Paul Smedley

Quote from: kimhav on 2007.07.11, 12:41:32
Ouch! This morning we recieved another 200 USD to this bounty (!) and the total value is currently now 370 USD and that is the highest amount that we so far have had on a single bounty!

Yeah - it's pretty incredible!  I'm currently working on an updated build of Gnash based on the latest CVS code.  I forwarded Neil's problem to the Gnash mailing list - that problem should be fixed in CVS - so we'll soon see :)

I have two weeks off work starting in a couple of weeks - hopefully I'll have some time then to look at a Firefox plugin for Gnash.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Smedley

Updated build from latest cvs...

download.smedley.info/gnash-cvs20070713-os2.zip

Blonde Guy

OK, I tried the 20070713 version of gnash, and it doesn't crash anymore, but neither does it go beyond the loading screen. However, I tried episode 2, and that appears to load and play just fine, at least on my laptop.

http://www.oddtodd.com/helpwanted1.swf

Not every flash cartoon on the site plays, but it's really cool that some do. Thanks for the interesting port.

Neil

Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2007.07.15, 08:22:51
OK, I tried the 20070713 version of gnash, and it doesn't crash anymore, but neither does it go beyond the loading screen. However, I tried episode 2, and that appears to load and play just fine, at least on my laptop.

http://www.oddtodd.com/helpwanted1.swf

Not every flash cartoon on the site plays, but it's really cool that some do. Thanks for the interesting port.

Hi Neil - thanks for the feedback.  People do need to understand that not only is the OS/2 port of gnash a work in progress, but Gnash itself is also a work in progress - there are things that don't currently work in the OS/2 port that also don't work with Gnash on other platforms.

It would be good if people could post compatability problems with Gnash/2 and specific swf files to the Gnash newsgroup so that we can confirm if the problem is os specific or cross platform.

Cheers,

Paul.

kim

Just a few lines about the Gnash Mailing Lists/Newsgroups

Gnash has three mailing lists hosted at gnu.org. Archives of these lists are stored at http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/:

Announcements about Gnash and most other GNU Software are made on <info-gnu@gnu.org>.

kim

Well, since Paul has made a claim on this bounty I guess that it's time to see if we can close this bounty based on that everybody has the same opinion.

rdconsult

Hello,

is it planned to merge   the os/2port code addtions to the source   into the Gnash project  CVS?

Do we have a second /backup   person/environment  to recompile  the current CVS at any time to get the  same results?

kind regards

Rainer