• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 native port of Java 6

Started by miturbide, 2007.05.17, 04:47:54

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

I believe JAVA is a critical app and some effort needs to be put into porting it. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer :-( and can only give moral and bounty support.

cytan

myrkraverk

Thank you, I didn't know about the java7os2 project.  I am going to move/repost my thoughts/experiments to their dev mailing list, and see what happens.

As for helping out for non-developers: There are always tasks at hand.  For example, with a project like this with external moving sources, there is syncing up with the outside world.  And during the initial stages, when there are multiple build failures, it is making sure once a file/component builds, it stays built -- that is, it is very easy to miss breaking one file, while working on something seemingly irrelevant.

Have fun

myrkraverk

I have put my preliminaries on the java7os2 project's dev mailing list:

https://java7os2.dev.java.net/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=dev

Next I will start to setup my dev environment and port the build system (as in the TODO post), starting with this:

http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/index.php?page=build-environment

I'll post more stuff to the dev list, as I get there.

miturbide

Hi

Does any Linux user had used OpenJDK libraries? how it is working ? how it is the compatibility with the Java runtime from Sun ?

Thanks
Martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

cytan

I haven't heard anything since February. Is this project still being pursued?

cytan

Blonde Guy

Nothing is happening over at Java7os2.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

miturbide

.... yep, there haven't been news about an OS/2 port. But what I was asking is if OpenJDK is running fine on Linux (since there are some Linux users here in the community too).

It seems that the openjdk package is distribuited with OpenSuse, Redhat, Debian and seems to be a port for MacOS.  THere was also the intention to make it run on Haiku OS (BeOS Open Source).

Seems like this open source project is going on fine. (taking about the project in general terms, not the OS/2 port).
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

miturbide

I still dream about this project from time to time ;)

Here it is the Source Code of JRE
http://download.java.net/jdk6/source/

And here it is OpenJDK
http://openjdk.java.net/

had anybody tried OpenJDK under Ubuntu, does it had good compatibility to run Java applications as it is right now ?

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

cytan

I just looked at the build requirements for both Java 6 and Java 7: both require motif libraries which I don't believe we have. And also binary plugs which are stuff that's not opensourced yet (but maybe not required for a JDK 6 implementation but it looks like 7 requires it). So unless I'm wrong we  cannot build either 6 or 7 right now without motif.

Here's the build instructions link: http://openjdk.java.net/groups/build/

cytan

chennecke

Regarding OpenJDK: It seems works quite nicely on the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.10, also in Firefox 3.5.

Well, face it, folks. OS/2 will not see another native port of Java. Golden Code will not provide the source of their native port and resources are few. However, the port of Flash 10 will result in a much updated Odin. This should make creating and updating an Odin-based port possible--and hopefully also ironing out the issues that existed with Innotek's Java ports.

lpino

Quote from: chennecke on 2009.12.01, 14:29:23
Regarding OpenJDK: It seems works quite nicely on the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.10, also in Firefox 3.5.

Well, face it, folks. OS/2 will not see another native port of Java. Golden Code will not provide the source of their native port and resources are few. However, the port of Flash 10 will result in a much updated Odin. This should make creating and updating an Odin-based port possible--and hopefully also ironing out the issues that existed with Innotek's Java ports.

What if?,,, only what if you could put a price on a port.
More than 4000 signed to open the source of OS/2. 10 buck would bring 40000, maybe we could start by adding money to a bounty.
How many people would be willing to pay to update Java? I know I would.
We should go over the idea in our heads. Of course if there is any millionare on the list willing to give away some money, please contact me or Martin and who knows maybe we have a port after all. ;)

Thanks.

rwklein

Quote from: lpino on 2009.12.01, 20:44:30

What if?,,, only what if you could put a price on a port.
More than 4000 signed to open the source of OS/2. 10 buck would bring 40000, maybe we could start by adding money to a bounty.
How many people would be willing to pay to update Java? I know I would.
We should go over the idea in our heads. Of course if there is any millionare on the list willing to give away some money, please contact me or Martin and who knows maybe we have a port after all. ;)

Thanks.

From my point of the view the bounty system is something that sadly is not working. With that I mean is that everywhere the price of people there spare time is going up.  About 10 years ago some people outside Western Europe/North America could work for a low rate. But as far as I can tell the bounties don't fetch enough to make people interested. But I could be wrong.  From what I'm seeing prices are going up.

Thats why a lot of stuff can only be done with more money then just a few hundred dollars.

On the topic of Java, Mensys is aware of this issue and the its on the list just like Flash we are working on (its being updated as well Flash to go to a more stable build).

Our developer is working slowly in the background to move forward on Java based on ODIN.
But we don't make any promises of a public release in the next few months. It might accelrate
suddenly. But we don't have anything useful on the table.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

Robert Deed

That isn't every rational.  A port of 1.6 can't exist because goldencode won't open their outdated and buggy source?   Even if they did release the source it wouldn't be of much use in porting 1.6.  I bet the open jvm could be ported to os/2 possibly easier then trying to make the windows version which is increasingly bound to more advance win32 parts could be.  Perhaps the biggest issue wig be the ui parts.  However the work would only need to be done once.  We as a whole have to stop the belief that if someone won't release source we are doomed.  If they did it.  Someone else can.  And make it an open project from the start would mean we would never be forced to do the work a second time.  

chennecke

I suggest that you actually read postings before responding. Even though it's outdated now, having Golden Code's source code would still have helped with a number of implementation issues. As for it being so buggy judging from my own experience their release was a lot less problematic than the Innotek one. But anyway, the main issue is man-power -- as always. This could only be solved with massive funding. And if it were available, there would still be the issue of finding enough developers who have the right skill set and are available. Well, I'd love to be proven wrong but for now I'd rather be realistic.

Robert Deed

I should read before I post?  OpenJDK is not equal to Sun's licensed JDK which goldencode was working with.  OpenJDK is a different beast, with a different code base, which is mostly linux/unix based due to the fact that the project started off as a grassroots effort from Linux developers to have a fully open sourced java.  Having the source to an outdated, proprietary implementation  would do little to help, while it might help get something out quicker, it would probably need to all be rewritten in order for it to actually work.  Attempts to hack things to work is half the reason why OS/2 is no longer my main operating system.  We spend 3x the manhours trying to make things which should never work work, instead of actually focusing on what needs to be done.  Maybe it is just a lack of manpower, maybe it is a lack of skills.. who knows.  

Throughout the years of using OS/2 I have seen some amazing and very promising software, native written from the ground up and functional.  I have been disappointed in any attempt to transplant software from windows.

I was posting this due to the fact that the openjdk/sun teams have just announced that the remaining non-open sourced parts of the code have been replaced/released

Quote from: chennecke on 2009.12.05, 12:18:19
I suggest that you actually read postings before responding. Even though it's outdated now, having Golden Code's source code would still have helped with a number of implementation issues. As for it being so buggy judging from my own experience their release was a lot less problematic than the Innotek one. But anyway, the main issue is man-power -- as always. This could only be solved with massive funding. And if it were available, there would still be the issue of finding enough developers who have the right skill set and are available. Well, I'd love to be proven wrong but for now I'd rather be realistic.