• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Common File Open/Save Dialog

Started by miturbide, 2007.05.17, 04:50:54

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Supporting thread for the Common File Open/Save Dialog bounty. The original and old bounty thread can be found here.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

miturbide

Hi

Eugene Gorbunoff ask me if there is any detailed list of technical requirements (List of features which the sponsors expect to see) for this bounty.

Seems that ecomstation.ru is working on a Common File Open/Save Dialog and wants to see if in the future they will be able to claim this bounty.

Your comments are welcome. !
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

jep

Hi,

It would be very interseting to have a new and improved version that perhaps can be made intelligent and fast as well. It should be a complete replacement for the dll that contain the current Open/Save Dialog with calls like the old version though allow for new features as well etc.

Do we have to buy the code (and rights?) for the dll that contain the current Open/Save Dialog from IBM so it can be replaced with a new one so we ensure that there's nothing missing?

//Jan-Erik

warpcafe

Hi guys,

well I can create a lilst of requirements!! Good to see some progress finally.
I also created some fake screenshots a time ago to explain what I mean... let me dig that out tonite.

For the DLL rights:
I think it's not even necessary to do so. If I remember correctly someone told me that a way of "subclassing" will work... just like how xWorkplace is replacing parts of dialogues. Basically, as we all know, the WPS is nothing but objects and classes... ;)
And even if not - at least we would have the API ready so all "new" applications (and those where the source code is available for maintenance) could be changed to use the new dialogs.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Ben

It would seem to me that if someone could get their hands on the sources to X-File, that would be a good place to start.

Upgrade that and modernize its look and feel, eliminate the remaining bugs and save oneself from having to re-make the wheel.

I do not know if the author is still in the OS/2 community, but the program itself hasn't been updated in a long time which is a clue.

His name is Michael Shilllingford of Codesmith Software from Canada and as far as I know you can still register the software with BMT Micro.

Maybe someone in the community has something to add that could help.

Saijin_Naib

If I recall correctly, EcoSoftware has a mock-up of the common file dialog somewhere in their documents. I'll see if I can find it after class.

RobertM

Very little to add other than yes, you can still register it, as of at least a year ago (when I registered another copy). I dont recall if Mensys (or BMT - forget who I ordered from) provided the key or the author did.

Perhaps contacting one of them (Mensys/BMT) regarding contacting the author might work.

-Rob

Quote from: Ben on 2009.09.08, 14:29:42
It would seem to me that if someone could get their hands on the sources to X-File, that would be a good place to start.

Upgrade that and modernize its look and feel, eliminate the remaining bugs and save oneself from having to re-make the wheel.

I do not know if the author is still in the OS/2 community, but the program itself hasn't been updated in a long time which is a clue.

His name is Michael Shilllingford of Codesmith Software from Canada and as far as I know you can still register the software with BMT Micro.

UPDATE 01: Both Mensys and BMT Micro still sell x-File.

UPDATE 02: I ordered through Mensys, and received my invoice via Mensys, but my product key (with Mensys cc'd) from BMT Micro. Thus, I'd suggest contacting BMT about a method to contact the author since they seem to be the ones dealing with registration for this product regardless of which of the two places it is ordered from.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

rbri

I already tried both ways (BMT) and direct Mail (because there are some traces in the internet) but without any success so far. But maybe someone else has more luck....

RBRi

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.09.08, 21:35:23
Very little to add other than yes, you can still register it, as of at least a year ago (when I registered another copy). I dont recall if Mensys (or BMT - forget who I ordered from) provided the key or the author did.

Perhaps contacting one of them (Mensys/BMT) regarding contacting the author might work.

-Rob

Quote from: Ben on 2009.09.08, 14:29:42

RobertM

I have emailed him and asked him the following (assuming the email address I have - which is about 4 years old, is valid):

Dear Michael,

I am writing in regards to x-File for OS/2 and am interested in knowing if you would be willing to do the following:
(1) Open Source it so it can be expanded upon or updated
(2) Provide code to a specific person or people so they could make an updated release to put on Mensys/BMT Micro
or
(3) Update it (thread in progress on the OS/2 World Forums on some ideas) and release a new version via Mensys/BMT Micro

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Invalid email address. I will try some of the co-contributors next.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Some tips on how he wrote it (and x-It) are located here:
http://www.edm2.com/0501/hooks.html

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

rbri

I found this (outdated) site http://www.raftfernie.com/michael.htm, but got also no response so far. Maybe my English was to bad to ask in the right way.

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.09.08, 21:57:50

RobertM

Quote from: rbri on 2009.09.08, 22:05:08
I found this (outdated) site http://www.raftfernie.com/michael.htm, but got also no response so far. Maybe my English was to bad to ask in the right way.

Well, that is definitely the correct Michael, so one can hope. Nice find!!!

Best,
Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

rbri

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.09.08, 22:07:02
Quote from: rbri on 2009.09.08, 22:05:08

Well, that is definitely the correct Michael, so one can hope. Nice find!!!

Best,
Rob

Please inform me, if you get in contact....

RBRi

miturbide

Hi About, X-File.

I had been requesting the source code to Michael over a year. (aprox). He had been very busy and was unable to find the code. On Jun 15 he told that he hasn't find the source code yet.

I also had contact him today telling that there is more interest on having his software turned open source. I just hope that he can take some time to find the source code. From my point of view it was ok with him to open source it.

Martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide