• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Icon routines in OS/2

Started by miturbide, 2007.05.17, 05:07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Quote from: Criguada on 2008.04.08, 13:59:10
Chris is doing a lot of work with his WPSWizard, and since the other project regarding icons (i.e. PNGDesktop) is commercial, I think we should award the bonus to Chris Wohlgemuth (sp?).

Bye
Cris

Hi Cris

Maybe it would be best to wait until WPSWizard actually works?

So far I have tried all the 0.6.1-a* releases and can only say that it has potential but due to the problems of system lockups/crashes that it introduces all releases have been uninstalled rapidly.

Hopefully there will be a usable version of this software sometime...

Regards

Pete

warpcafe

Hi all,

not sure if everybody is following on that - so as a heads-up to everyone not knowing:
From netlabs.org newsletter #58, published today via VOICE:
24. March - 30. March
* WPS-Wizard
  o Tickets 5 and 7 closed
31. March - 6. April
* WPS-Wizard
  o One update and a new tickets raised

...and for further details, contributions, participations, testing:
http://svn.netlabs.org/wps-wizard/wiki

Cheers, hoping that improvements and fixes will keep coming in...
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

wpswizard

Hi all,

Quote from: Pete on 2008.04.08, 15:00:56
Quote from: Criguada on 2008.04.08, 13:59:10
Chris is doing a lot of work with his WPSWizard, and since the other project regarding icons (i.e. PNGDesktop) is commercial, I think we should award the bonus to Chris Wohlgemuth (sp?).

Bye
Cris

Hi Cris

Maybe it would be best to wait until WPSWizard actually works?

So far I have tried all the 0.6.1-a* releases and can only say that it has potential but due to the problems of system lockups/crashes that it introduces all releases have been uninstalled rapidly.

Hopefully there will be a usable version of this software sometime...

Regards

Pete

Just for the record, WPS-Wizard "actually works" for quite a few people. So a "usable version of this software" is available right now.

I won't put my marketing hat on and bend the truth until nobody can recognize it anymore just so everyone can keep a warm and fuzzy feeling. Some will not like the following text and some will label me as an arrogant a**hole. I don't care, it happened before and I'm too old to play those child games.

Pete,

frankly spoken your problem is of no relevance for me for the following reasons.

-First and foremost you are the only one complaining. My time is too valuable to dedicate it to a problem which seldom occurs if at all.
-You fail to provide a ticket in the bug tracker with a usable problem description. Writing of system lockups/crashes in some forum is *not* a proper bug report. I need a crash log or at least a description of the actions you did before a crash happened (which files were involved, which folders, which features were activated etc.). There is quite some debugging support available. Just read the docs.
-You fail to try ideas others suggested to you. For example did you test by now with a non-SMP kernel to see if it's multiprocessor related?

I don't deny your problems but I won't do the tedious debugging for you just because you're not willing or not able to do it (maybe just because you don't have the necessary WPS experience).

Future releases of WPS-Wizard most probably won't fix your problem because I don't work on it. I didn't work on it for the current release, either. The only advice I can give you is trying to find the cause of your crash for yourself by testing, testing, testing with different configurations and issue a bug report afterwards. Yes, this may mean rebooting the system 30 times or more often. I do that, others do that, you can do that. If you don't know how to use a WPS class lister or how to change the install script for customized installs you're simply lost.

There's a commercial product which may be of use for you. Granted this product has it's own fair share of problems and crashes judging from the bug reports I've seen and which is inferior to WPS-wizard.

---

Generally spoken,

- a problem without a ticket in the bug tracker will be ignored
- a problem without an attached description how to see it or without a crash log will be ignored

Regarding the bounty,

everyone can spare his/her breath. I won't claim it for the simple reason the source to WPS-Wizard will not be opened. Some friends have access to it right now but the general public won't. So WPS-Wizard does not qualify anyway.

Why keeping it closed source? Well, something like 11 or 12 years of development went into it (that's longer than some of you are aware of the existence of something like a computer...). It's full of fixes for WPS bugs and I don't intend to disclose this knowledge lightly as it represents a valuable asset. I simply don't like the idea that I will see my own code in some payware a few days after the source is public. In the end it fixes quite a few of the crashes you see in the commercial product.

Regards 

Chris

RobertM

The only problems I have (which I have NOT (yet) submitted tickets for) are when opening certain folders with either large PNG files or large numbers of (non-PNG) images - which will cause the WPS to crash and restart without WPSWizard support - and a desire for more elegant handling of selecting/clicking on a broken shortcut (something other than the Rexx error dialog that pops up).

Other than that, I'm quite happy with it. And as for the above one issue and one desire... I've got no reason nor right to complain because I have yet to submit a bug report (I'd rather test WPSWizard on a clean system and try to replicate the situation AND THEN report it so as not to waste anyone's time if it is something weird and flakey with the one system I am testing on).

So... my thanks to Chris and the current WPSWizard team - and my apologies for not yet submitting a bug report.

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Chris (aka wpswizard)

I have been doing a little testing to try and establish why WPSWizard does not work here.

I have tried installing WPSizard since upgrading mainboard, cpu, ram and graphics card and updating the acpi driver with the same results as when using the previous hardware and earlier acpi driver.

I have submitted a bug report on the problems encountered and look forward to working with you to rectify whatever the cause(s) of the problems are.

Regards

Pete

miturbide

I good site to get Open Source icons is the Gnome art place. The icons are uploaded in PNG and SVG formats.

http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com