Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / Public Discussions / General Discussion
Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
21. Key to/for Open Sourcing OS/2 Software?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I guess the key to getting programs/software for OS/2-eCS to be open sourced is to find the original author and hope he/she agrees to release the source code. Looks like there might be a trend for it.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 14 Apr, 2004 on 21:23
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
22. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign

phaelonimaire (14 Apr, 2004 19:1:
It has always been my opinion that the biggest missing component was a good (embedded?) process manager. I would love to see development begin again on WatchCat. Out of all of the various programs designed to do the same job, I keep moving back to it.

Agree, I started of using WatchCat, then we got Process Commander... but since of problem with PC together with OS2 v4.52 I had to try out some other tools and I ended up usign WatchCat once again. It's one of the first tools that I install on my system, always!

So if this could be opensourced it would be great andif it could be part of eCS for example, even better.

/Kim

Date: 15 Apr, 2004 on 12:12
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 15 Apr, 2004
23. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign

Agree, I started of using WatchCat, then we got Process Commander... but since of problem with PC together with OS2 v4.52 I had to try out some other tools and I ended up usign WatchCat once again. It's one of the first tools that I install on my system, always!

eCS 1.1 and Process Commander working fine here though with the loss of a few functions.

Though I'd like to see the last version of PC source code released and updated.

--
Ben Dragon
Date: 15 Apr, 2004 on 18:42
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
24. Re: Process Commander
last updated at 20 Apr, 2004 16:37 (1 times)

Ben Dragon (15 Apr, 2004 18:42):

eCS 1.1 and Process Commander working fine here though with the loss of a few functions.

Ok, I haven't tried it out for a while, but I recall that it wouldn't work at all for me under WSFeB. You mentioned that it works without any problem except for some minor features; such as?

Well, I've moved this reply to other board as well to keep the thread on topic.. Please follow this for Process Commander thread

Date: 20 Apr, 2004 on 16:31
Kim
Team member
in staff

25. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign

Ben Dragon (15 Apr, 2004 18:42):

StarDock has a bunch of applications where Process Commander is one. Ben's suggestion about seing this products as open source is a great idea.

So question to Martin, has there been any kind of contact with StarDock about releasing code?

Date: 20 Apr, 2004 on 21:04
Martin
Team member
in admin

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
26. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
Not yet Kim. But I will go to them later.

Im pretty sure that Stardock software is on everyones wish list.

Martin

Date: 25 Apr, 2004 on 00:38
Christian Hennecke
Premium member
in spoc

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/os2files/
since: 27 Jan, 2001
27. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
I've tried to convince Brad Wardell shortly after they withdrew from the OS/2 market. No reply. Given Brad Wardell's opinion about OS/2 users, I sincerely doubt that he would open one line of code.

On the other hand, a pal of mine once tried to get WatchCat or Process Commander open-sourced. IIRC Brad wasn't against it, but had lost contact to the developers. My pal finally managed to track them, but one of them didn't want to release the code. Well, that was a few years ago, maybe he wouldn't mind now.

Date: 25 Apr, 2004 on 13:38
Christian Hennecke
Premium member
in spoc

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/os2files/
since: 27 Jan, 2001
28. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
I just read that PhotoTiger, a nice small graphics app that was available in both English and German, is not sold anymore. See www.phototiger.com.
Date: 27 Apr, 2004 on 15:00
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 15 Apr, 2004
29. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
I like that one.

Here's another, what about the Modular Dreams Plugins for Colorworks V2?

Colorworks is becoming less useful all the time but having those plugin modules would certainly breathe some life into it.

Date: 27 Apr, 2004 on 18:27
adam
Normal member
in user

since: 28 Apr, 2004
30. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
Ok, this one is probably way too much of a stretch - but what about Describe? Does anyone know where to get in touch with the people who did Describe or has that already been attempted and it flopped?

regards,
adam

Date: 01 May, 2004 on 12:55
adam
Normal member
in user

31. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
Actually, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. Does anyone know how I could get in touch with any of the people that were behind Describe. Even after 8 years it's still a great word processor - it's a shame to let something like that go to waste. Couldn't hurt to at least try. The worst any of them could say is no.

regards,
adam

Date: 02 May, 2004 on 19:54
adam
Normal member
in user

32. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
Oh and how about wipeout screensaver. I saw a reference on another os/2 website that the Bocasoft team were going to release the source shortly after they made thr program free back in 1998 but haven't found it yet. Does anyone know what the 411 is on this?

regards,
adam

Date: 05 May, 2004 on 19:29
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
33. Re:Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
I havn't seen it listed yet, but how about Innoval's Post Road Mailer? I still continue to use Version 3.0, but there are a few bugs (and improvements - like SMTP with Authentication, and IMAP) I'd love to see.
Date: 10 Aug, 2004 on 06:56
Suggestions for the Open Sourcing OS/2 Software Campaign
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: