Poll

Which editor do you use for coding, writing or daily use?

e -  default editor for os/2 versions 2.0 thru 4.x
6 (35.3%)
THE - a clone of the IBM 3270 editor
0 (0%)
Qedit - A Qt-based editor
2 (11.8%)
EPM - the editor for IBM Presentation Manager
4 (23.5%)
Vile - a microEmacs editor using vi commands
0 (0%)
Vim - The Improved "Visual Interface" editor
0 (0%)
emacs - an interpreter for Emacs Lisp
1 (5.9%)
jEdit - a java-based editor
2 (11.8%)
Tea -the Text Editor of the Atomic era
0 (0%)
joe - a blend of the WordStar and emacs editors
0 (0%)
FTE - A folding text editor for developers
0 (0%)
FED - Folding text Editor by Hargreaves
0 (0%)
MrED - Multi-file Programmers Text Editor
2 (11.8%)
Kon - a fast and easiliy available editor
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Poll: Your favorite text editor  (Read 21351 times)

Rich442

Poll: Your favorite text editor
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »
Please leave a short comment, if you can. I am interested in finding a good IDE for REXX programming/debugging.  I tried to include editors that are readily available (natively or as a port) for OS/2 and eCS.   :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:35:40 am by Richard Crowley »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Your favorite editor for programming
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 06:18:31 pm »
Hi

I'm not a developer but I also started to see with good eyes some Qt4 based editor like Tea or QEdit.
http://trac.netlabs.org/qtapps/wiki/QT4%20Office

I'm not sure if developers are using those , but it also good to keep an eye on those.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Michaelhz

Re: Poll: Your favorite text editor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:12:33 pm »
Well, still use emacs 20.6 from hobbes plus rx-mode (http://www.os2site.com/sw/apps/editors/emacs/v19.33/contrib/rx-mode.zip). Since I use emacs for years, I cannot imagine something else, not even for REXX programming.

BR
Michael

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 04:08:03 am »
EPM is provided with OS/2 and has many nice features.  It supports macros written in Rexx and its own native language called E.
There is a toolkint so that develpers can incorporate the EPM MLE in their own applications.  There are many extensions for EPM freely available from Hobbes.

Mr. Ed (now called MED) is very extensible and has many fine features.  You can find this on Hobbes.  It is not free but its worth the price.  I have added buttons to its toolbar that launches other programs, compilers, assembler, etc.  It supports context sensitive help.  This product seems stabilized at V1.26.  There are also Windows versions.

My personal favorite is the obsolete SPF2 product from CommandTechnology.  When I worked on IBM mainframes I would write Rexx macros under OS/2 and run them mostly unchanged under MVS.  CT no longer supports this product but I have the V 4.0.5 version.  It has served me well from the 1990's until now.  CT makes a respectable ISPF like editor for Windows but nothing for OS/2 anymore.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:10:19 am »
For REXX, your best bet is definitely E it has an excellent REXX support, but it may help to track down some of the enhanced packages for it as well, there is a seriously capable editor hiding behind that simplex  interface.

Generally my favorite editors are no longer available, namely Preditor, Einfalt and Visual Slickedit for OS/2 and I even lost my copies of the first two, for some reason the modern Slickedit for Windows/Mac does not do it for me though ...

There is an extended, but not yet complete list of available editors for OS/2 here:
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Category:Text_editors

karotlopj

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:32:33 pm »
I was reading recently that LPEX was one of the best program editors and I'm tring to track it down to have a look at it.

I believe it was boundled with IBM's VAC++ for OS/2.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:38:46 pm »
LPEX still works on mainframes and looks a bit strange.

My favorite editors are MrEd, Kon, E and FC/2.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 02:22:55 am »
I was reading recently that LPEX was one of the best program editors and I'm tring to track it down to have a look at it.

I believe it was boundled with IBM's VAC++ for OS/2.
It is bundled with VAC++ 4

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:34:41 am »
FTE (Folding Text Editor) is not listed.
I use it here and at work to write REXX scripts.

Indention problem with END that worked well earlier, is somewhat annoying, but syntax highlighting and support for a wide variety of languages make it great.

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:57:34 am »
   FED is not listed too.
   Console, but it's a matter of taste.
   It supports rectangular blocks, for example. Hotkeys are customizable and written on REXX :)
   Sources available.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:03 am »
Kon, MrEd and FC/2  :)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 06:11:30 am »
Visual SlickEdit....old commercial IDE...great stuff...I spent hundreds of hrs professionally developing Oracle SQL code...

RickCHodgin

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:42:31 pm »
Sammy Edward Mitchell wrote a great DOS-based text editor back in the 80s.  It was originally called QEdit, but it's not the famous QEdit, and he later had to change the name.  I used it every day for all development for over a decade.

It's now called TSE, Jr. (The Semware Editor) and can still be obtained.  There's also a more modern more capable Windows version called TSE.  Both have a complete pascal-like macro language and are able to edit files up to the size of virtual memory.  And both have a full set of runtime settings that can be configured and stored in a permanent settings file.  They also have mouse integration.

It's an amazing editor, and remains the best I've ever used to this day in 2016.

As a long time user, I received permission from Sammy to incorporate the entire macro language and feature set into my own editor.  I have called my internal editor structure SEM on his behalf (in Visual FreePro, Jr., my XBASE-like language, it stands for Struct Edit Manager, but is a nod to Sammy Edward Mitchell).  The macro language has not been introduced, and the editor is still missing some other basic functionality.

sem.cpp
sem.h

It is the syntax-highlighting editor seen here in this screenshot in the upper-right.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:44:41 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 10:26:09 pm »
Add me to the list of Visual SlickEdit users. Fairly good source code browsing. I use it mostly for C and C++, but sometimes for REXX and HTML.

Good tagging is a must for an editor, so that's what would lead me to switch. From any function, let me go to the definition. From the definition, let me go to a list of all the locations that function is used.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

mjkerpan

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 07:24:03 pm »
EPM is one of the best features of OS/2. Being able to use it is one reason I keep OS/2 running in a VM on all my Windows and Linux boxes.