Author Topic: Final Request for Help for the Final Warp 4 Image Clone  (Read 29559 times)

walking_x

• View Profile
Re: Final Request for Help for the Final Warp 4 Image Clone
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »
Martin, where you will find so many volunteers, who can support this project if it will be "opened"? I'm looking around and see no one. :)

And - this is my own opinion, but "open source" now - is only the method of stealing programer`s time and goodwill. Ok, in Linux, were system is "free" for all - it can be used, because it still create a some kind of sum from multiple sources: single authors, companies...

But here? Where everything is payable - even drivers! Opening under "free" licence will make only one thing - a GIFT of complete, workable thing to Mensys. They put own copyright on it and will start to distribute through subscribtion service ;)

And this - after all of this years, when Gorbunov proclaimed OS/4 as "piracy", fight with it everywhere (even with loader, ok - kernel can be questionable).
Do you really think what someone wants to make such gift for such persons?

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 04:06:55 pm »
Additional information:

walking_x = (REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR)

PLEASE DO NOT POST PUBLICLY IDENTIFIYING INFORMATION ABOUT OUR MEMBERS:
It is not acceptable to post publicly identifying information about our members unless that information has already been publicly offered by them on our forums.

-Robert

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:28:05 pm by Robert Mauro »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
Hi walking_x

Please, look yourself at this platform and community. Do you really see companies/people making millions? Do you see a good supported platform? Do you see a ecosystem of users/developers/companies? Do you see OS2World.com Newsmaster traveling all around the world evangelizing the use of OS/2-eCS and getting a new car?  - I wish :)

No, the reality is that the platform is dying.  How will you solve this?

I personally think that the only way to survive is that everybody put efforts on open source software for this platform, until the day we can have a complete open source replacement for OS/2. At that day we can start creating an ecosystem and people that want to make money with services and software will be able to do so.

Open Source is not stealing programer's time and goodwill. (I disagreed with you on this) If the developer released a software under GNU GPL (copyleft) it forces any other developers to give the source code back. It can help a small software to grow and gain traction.  For example Mensys was forced by license agreement to release the source code of AHCI, XWorkplace updates, MultiMac drivers.  It is not important who sells the binaries, it is important that the source code will be released and anybody can modify it and compile it.

Ex: Mike one day recompiled open source code for Intel network adapters that Mensys ported in Multimac and make the binaries public. Mensys may not liked it, but it was complete legal to do that.  Lesson Learned: It is not a good idea to hide the binaries of open source software.

What you don't want is Mensys to use the OS/4 Loader, that's why OS/4 team don't release it as open source. But Mensys it is not good or bad, it just a player that is selling OS/2 to big customers. It is possible that in 10 or 15 years the companies that buy eCS from Mensys will finally drop OS/2 and selling eCS will no longer be a interesting business. Mensys is a business that wants to sell eCS, but we are a community (OS/2 general community, not only OS2World) that wants to keep using the platform. That is the difference. 

So, what we are going to do? We need to remain as a community, we need to grow and get more users on this community if we ever want to be relevant again (to survive).  The only way for this platform to gain relevance is to became open source, that will finally cut the cord with IBM and as a plus the platform can be free of charge for everybody to use it.  And also turning OS/2 open source in a legal way.

After that a ecosystem can be created when people can start making money with software and services. But only after that.

That's why we need to put efforts today on "Liberating the platform", before everybody here finally drop out.

Let's create a formal and legal open source OS/2 distro that will benefit all of us. Community, OS/4 team, Mensys and  new users.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:11:42 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 05:09:37 pm »
And what, Eugene? ;)
Can you tell something real instead of robotized reactions? I think, no.
Or I am stole something from you or Mensys? No.
Ok, I am - an author of "QSINIT" - another one kernel loader (NOT OS/4). And I can tell only for myself: this loader was written from scratch (it has completely another structure and features). And I will not publish it under GNU licence :) Though I made this project for fun - it takes 3 years from me - and I won't grant its code to you, especially you.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 05:17:02 pm »
Please stop personal attacks.  The discussion between Eugene and OS/4, Sigurd, and everybody else is well know and we are sick of it. 
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »
And Martin - I can publish code, in the future :)
It least, when I will be tired of it ;) Or when IBM publish the sources (because my loader is much more usable, than IBM`s ;)) I'm not planning to sit on sources until the end of time ;)

p.s. again - there are TWO alternative loaders: OS/4 and QS (my project) and I can tell only for myself.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »
Thanks walking_x

It is good to know that the door is open for discussion.  I didn't know you were the author of QSLoader, thanks for creating it.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:52 am »
Ok, I am - an author of "QSINIT" - another one kernel loader (NOT OS/4). And I can tell only for myself: this loader was written from scratch (it has completely another structure and features). And I will not publish it under GNU licence :) Though I made this project for fun - it takes 3 years from me - and I won't grant its code to you, especially you.

I did test this Loader Yesterday as well. It worked OK but - as with the OS/4 Loader, even worse the eCS OS2LDR - I still have this weird boot hangs, I guess this is an ACPI/Memory/Driver conflict issue. This loader (was not hard to find with using google for QSINIT) reports the right amount of Memory as well, same as the OS/4 where eCS Loader fail. When "Loading" the loader offers a to switch via F9 to a menue but I did not test it.

I did install Suse Linux 12.3 alongside OS/2 and Windows 8 Pro, with AirBootManager I do have a triple boot Tablet yet.

I did look further into the sound problem as well - as the driver allways loads I still have sometimes sound, sometimes not. With the "unimix -list" and "unimix -card" commands I did receive this:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Version 1.0
Detected UNIAUD version 20.20
Control ID: 1
Interface: virtual mixer device
Device(client): 0, subdevice (substream) 0
Name: [Speaker Playback Volume]
Index: 0
Element type: integer type
Count of values: 2
Value:
Bounds: min: 0, max: 87, step: 0
value 0: 87
value 1: 87
Control ID: 2
Name: [Speaker Playback Switch]
Element type: boolean type
Value:
Bounds: min: 0, max: 1, step: 0
value 0: 1
value 1: 1
Control ID: 3
Name: [Headphone Playback Volume]
Value:
value 0: 80
value 1: 80
Control ID: 4
Name: [Headphone Playback Switch]
Value:
value 1: 1
Control ID: 5
Name: [Internal Mic Boost Volume]
Value:
Bounds: min: 0, max: 3, step: 0
value 0: 0
value 1: 0
Control ID: 6
Name: [Mic Boost Volume]
Seite 1
unimix09042013
Value:
Bounds: min: 0, max: 3, step: 0
Control ID: 7
Name: [Capture Switch]
Value:
Control ID: 8
Name: [Capture Volume]
Value:
Bounds: min: 0, max: 63, step: 0
value 0: 23
value 1: 23
Control ID: 9
Name: [Master Playback Volume]
Count of values: 1
Value:
value 0: 87
Control ID: 10
Name: [Master Playback Switch]
Count of values: 1
Value:
[C:\mmos2]unimix -names
Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Version 1.0
Detected UNIAUD version 20.20
ID: 1, name: [Speaker Playback Volume]
ID: 2, name: [Speaker Playback Switch]
ID: 3, name: [Headphone Playback Volume]
ID: 4, name: [Headphone Playback Switch]
ID: 5, name: [Internal Mic Boost Volume]
ID: 6, name: [Mic Boost Volume]
ID: 7, name: [Capture Switch]
ID: 8, name: [Capture Volume]
ID: 9, name: [Master Playback Volume]
ID: 10, name: [Master Playback Switch]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

so I modified my startup.cmd to this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM NET START REQ
REM @if errorlevel 2 C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\lserr.exe
c:\mmos2\unimix -id1 -cnt0 -val87 -cnt1 -val87
c:\mmos2\unimix -id2 -cnt0 -val1 -cnt1 -val1
c:\mmos2\unimix -id3 -cnt0 -val87 -cnt1 -val87
c:\mmos2\unimix -id4 -cnt0 -val1 -cnt1 -val1
c:\mmos2\unimix -id5 -cnt0 -val3 -cnt1 -val3
c:\mmos2\unimix -id6 -cnt0 -val3 -cnt1 -val3
c:\mmos2\unimix -id7 -cnt0 -val1 -cnt1 -val1
c:\mmos2\unimix -id8 -cnt0 -val63 -cnt1 -val63
c:\mmos2\unimix -id9 -cnt0 -val87
c:\mmos2\unimix -id10 -cnt0 -val1
EXIT
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes the startup.cmd fails to set the values for some IDS, sometimes not, I guess this is where I get sound or not.
The (wihtout a problem) running Linux Installation did show me as well to have two Audio Adapters, The "Intel Display Audio 2805" - that is allways shown by UNIAUD Driver - and the Realtek HD269 - where the Microfone etc. are connected with.
I guess sometimes uniaud is loading both devices (but even while having sound the microfone does not work)  sometimes not.

Is there a way to load the UNIAUD driver twotimes?

And some very good news: Two finger touch is working as well now, thanks to Wim!  :-)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:48:39 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 02:08:27 pm »
BIOS on EFI motherboards have a tonns of bugs ;) I've tested one on B75 chipset - and SPACE key in Installation CD initial setup (in text mode) was not working until BIOS update ;)
Trap can be caused by multiple reasons:
  * on later stages (just before PM) - new panorama + ACPI.
  * immediately after start - memory issues (list of usable memory in these BIOSes is some kind of chaos ;) - still thinking how to check it before use).

Another problem is - new APCIs patch something in IBM loader, or get some data from hardcoded offsets in it - and unable to do the same with alternative loaders. This is a bad method, when code is nailed up to 104 or 105_SMP kernel and loader.
I saw messages about successful results with /VW key only, i.e.:

alternative loader + IBM kernel + new ACPI.PSD /VW

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 10:31:55 am »
I already had to use /VW switch as otherwise the boot process failed with "OS2AHCI can not reserve IRQ 19 - already claimed". I experimented with different kernel/loaders, the best results so far I get with OS/4 Loader + Kernel 104a_SMP.

Some other news:

- Wim gave me the merged Touch+Stylus Driver yesterday so that it is working right not with both at the same time - all credits to Wim for his - once again - splendid work!

- I think I can have less problems with Driver Loading during boot process if I can slow down the boot process a bit. The boot process with HPFS386 takes on this SSD only about 12 seconds, I guess it is just to quick to let OS/2 load all drivers, especially the whole sound driver. I already realized that some kind of "halt" was used with eCS 2.2 config.sys, I just have to take a closer look at this as I do not have eCS 2.2 running right now

- The LAN chip (RTL8169 with Mensys Multimac Driver) works very good when pluged into the Docking Station. But - once I want to start the Slate outside the docking station Boot Process stops while trying to load the RTL driver and needs an "ENTER". This does not happenend last year with eCS 2.1, the boot process continued with loading even if the LAN chip can not be seen be eCS. I have to take a closer look at this as well to get rid of this problem.

- At the weekend I will give WLAN another try :-)

Suggestions, hints, comments are highly appreciated!

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 01:38:13 pm »
And another one funny thing - about SSD ;)
At least Corsair, at least on one motherboard model sometimes returns a garbage instead of data - while working through BIOS in PIO mode (prior to DANIS/AHCI start). After switching to native SATA in disk driver - everything becomes fine...
But on initial stage this produces strange traps, denied kernel file and so on...

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:07 pm »
Hi Sigurd

With regard to slowing boot down - not something most of us want to do  ;-)  - I think you may want to try BootDly.SYS

This driver is definitely supplied with eCS2.1 and 2.2 but I'm not sure if it is included in earlier eCS versions. If you have either eCS2.1/2.2 you should find BootDly.SYS in \os2\boot and docs in \ecs\DOC\BOOTDLY

Regards

Pete

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:55 pm »
In an earlier post Martin says this platform is "dying". Well, that has been the case since 1994 when Gerstner had had his people tell Microsoft that OS/2 was not going to be marketed to home users anymore.
Since then there are new reasons to keep this platform alive. The least of which is virus control.

The work done recently on USB, ACPI and video is very encouraging for the continuation of THE platform.
The hardware problems that this thread discusses all seem related to areas where work is in progress.