Author Topic: Video drivers  (Read 12866 times)

karotlopj

Video drivers
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:24 pm »
I have never been sure about which video driver to pick when doing an instll of OS/2 - it's usually a matter of hit and miss until the display finally looks right...

I have just (re-) installed OS/2 (ACP2) on a ThinkPad T42, have rebooted and am doing a selective install. The Primary Display option shows SVGA (ATI) - not sure why this one has been picked....When I select this option I am greeted with a large selection of options with the cursor on

GENERIC VESA Unaccelerated & VGA GRADDs

I guess I should pick this ...although there are also three ATI options in the list or should I have previously downloaded  any  video video drivers specific to this laptop?

When I reboot and go into 'System - Properties' -> Screen ->  Pg 2

I need to select a monitor, there are four Thinkpad options - what happens if I picke a resolution higher than the laptop's capabilities?

I pick IBM ThinkPad  1024x768 and reboot.. Windows is able to show to display a higher resolution straight away with a automatic restore if you don't select the one shown. Why can't OS/2 do that?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Video drivers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:56 pm »
Why OS/2 can not do that ? Well MCP 1/2 where never really shipped with wide variety of (video) drivers.
You are most likely best of for that Thinkpad laptop to install the normal VGA driver.

Then download SNAP to get a good crisp driver.
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-viewer.php?dir=/pub/os2/system/drivers/video&file=snap-os2-3.1.8.zip&backto=%2Fh-search.php%3Fkey%3DSNAP%26pushbutton%3DSearch

As an alternative you could take an AN subscription and run Panorama. But I think SNAP is more preferred for that model Thinkpad.

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »
I have taken out a subscription but have not looked into the Panorama drivers yet.

I believe that my laptop came out with OS/2 support, although are you suggesting that the SNAP would be better than the model specific driver?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 07:14:46 am »
If you go to the Lenova site and look for an OS/2 video driver for your T42, you'll find a special SNAP build which works the same as the regular SNAP on the T42. At least that was my experience with my T42 where eCS2.2b2 installed SNAP and I replaced with the T42 specific build.
Also don't use ACPI with the T42, APM supports it well, including suspend here.

karotlopj

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:10 am »
If you google lenovo 't42 os2 warp video driver' you get to

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds000838

ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:48:15 am »
If you google lenovo 't42 os2 warp video driver' you get to

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds000838

http://support.lenovo.com/fr/fr/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T42?linkTrack=GPS:Body_Browse%20Products|Sub-Series%20Selected&tabName=downloads&beta=false

Then, remove selected OS and set it to "pick an OS" and add into third field " OS/2 ".
You have ATI mobility 7500 video driver for T42
 ;)

karotlopj

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:59:25 am »
Thanks!

Not easy to find is it?

I wish there was an OS/2 section on ThinkWiki as a single point of reference for hardware and software for ThinkPads.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:55 am »
I'd vote for a "Market Place Application" for OS/2, eCS and Arca Noae Blue Lion as one otherwise may have to search the net for a long time to find useful gems for hours that others may already know about. Don't invent the wheel over and over again.

It could use info from for example eCSoft/2 to present applications, drivers etc. to the user with descriptive text/summary, a sample image, application icon and link to the authors web site etc.

A Market Place App should itself not be an installer, just give information in a pleasant and informative way and initiate downloads and hand over the rest to whatever installer technology each application use, that take care of the rest, such as adding required libraries. Optional components can of course be... optional/selectable.

karotlopj

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:38:56 pm »
After finally locating the OS/2 Video driver for my ThinkPad T42 I downloaded it .....

and it turns out to be a DOS self extracting file

and I don't have a floppy drive

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:26:22 am »
What format is it? Doesn't it run in a dos box?

warpsalad

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 10:14:09 am »
After finally locating the OS/2 Video driver for my ThinkPad T42 I downloaded it .....

and I don't have a floppy drive

Hey John,

The OS/2 Video driver supplied by IBM/ATI is in fact a watered-down SciTech SNAP driver. So using the full unlocked SciTech package there from Hobbes will give you more options. Furthermore I've had extreme difficulty getting the ATI supplied packages to function properly (they don't install properly or boot into an unsupported resolution by the ThinkPad display).

If you do need any IBM diskette driver packages extracted I have all of the equipment to do so (I had to do it for my T43p's OS/2 audio driver).

karotlopj

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:34:04 pm »
Hey John,

The OS/2 Video driver supplied by IBM/ATI is in fact a watered-down SciTech SNAP driver. So using the full unlocked SciTech package there from Hobbes will give you more options. Furthermore I've had extreme difficulty getting the ATI supplied packages to function properly (they don't install properly or boot into an unsupported resolution by the ThinkPad display).

If you do need any IBM diskette driver packages extracted I have all of the equipment to do so (I had to do it for my T43p's OS/2 audio driver).

I did eventually unpack the IBM supplied driver, and it turned out to be a DOS self extracting archive!! And since I didn't have DOS installed, so a simple process, that should have taken a few minutes took several hours. And once I did get the driver installed it eventually cause a hang on boot up.

Thanks for the advice. I will investigate the SciTech pkg on Hobbes.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 02:00:55 pm »

Hi

This was part of the reason why I repackaged the Audio driver on hobbes some years ago. The self extracting files are not usable today. The best way to deal with those files today is with VirtualMachines and add virtual floppy drives for it to unpack to the virtual floppy and after that zipping them.

Maybe it is time to do the same for video drivers at hobbes.

JohnP: I think you will be fine with SNAP from hobbes.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

karotlopj

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 04:52:36 pm »
Martin,

Upgrading my ThinkPad T42 with bootable JFS and now these new SNAP drivers has brought a new lease of life to this old laptop!