Author Topic: USB  (Read 17879 times)

karotlopj

USB
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:50:52 am »
I can never get USB working on OS/2. I have read numerous guides and tried lots of versions of drivers but don't seem to get anywhere....

Should the stock USB drivers with ACP2 allow me to access a pen drive or USB hard disk?

From what I've read I should only need to unREM the USB statements which appear in config.sys after installation. When I do this LVM tells me that one of my disks is corrupt but I'm unable to access it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: USB
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:37:08 pm »
Hi JohnP.

There is the option to use Lar's USB drivers updated on 2016/02/13:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-viewer.php?dir=/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc&file=usbdrv202.zip

I never use those with ACP2, but I guess they should work without issues.

Just to know more about it, did you have some simpler device like a USB mouse running fine on the USB port? Can you validate that the USB port is working and recognized on OS/2?

Once you have the USB stock (base) driver working, the key driver for USB storage is USBMSD.ADD.
Here it is more info about it.
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/The_Config.sys_Documentation_Project/BASEDEV_Statements#BASEDEV.3DUSBMSD.ADD

Also it is interesting to see what USB Resource Manager tells your about what is plugged on the machine:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-viewer.php?dir=/pub/os2/apps/misc&file=usbres.wpi

Regards

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:39:13 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »
This is interesting....

I just connected up a USB mouse to my ThinkPad T42 and it started working ....

Then I looked at config.sys since I only just installed OS/2 (ACP2) on this system and didn't recall enabling any USB drivers and sure enough they were all REMed out!!

I'm not sure what to think.... Why does my USB mouse work?

I won't be using an external mouse with this system because I prefer the ThinkPad trackpoint, but I'd like to know just why it works without any drivers.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 04:06:17 pm »
Legacy USB mouse may be built into the bios as part of the trackpoint.

To check which USB drivers you need run HCIMONIT in a command window.  It will tell you how many host controllers you have and what types.  You need a driver for each controller, for example, hcimonit on my workstation shows:

You have 5 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
You have 2 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)

And the Config.sys USB entries are:
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:9 /FLOPPIES:1

If your USB stick is formatted as FAT32 you will also need the FAT32 IFS in your config.sys (and installed on your system):
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 04:43:50 pm »
Hi JohnP

You may want to try my little USB configuration application which simply "visualises" the config.sys usb statements allowing you to see what is installed with what options and make changes without hunting through the config.sys file using an editor - also includes a Help file with a USB MSD FAQ. You can find the app on hobbes http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=usbcfg&pushbutton=Search

You want the latest, 082, in either Warpin or Zip package.

As to what builds of USB drivers you should be using: -

1] I notice from other posts that you have an Arca Noae subscription so there are a lot of the drivers you should be using  :-)

2] for drivers not in the Arca Nae package use the last iBM supplied drivers; I guess that is mainly Drives (usb floppy/hard/flash/DVD/CD) so is build 10.162

Alternatively there are "experimental" packages available from Lars, I think this is the current release http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbdrv202.zip

Regards

Pete

karotlopj

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:39:46 pm »
Legacy USB mouse may be built into the bios as part of the trackpoint.

To check which USB drivers you need run HCIMONIT in a command window.  It will tell you how many host controllers you have and what types.  You need a driver for each controller, for example, hcimonit on my workstation shows:

I've searched my hard disk as well as Hobbes but no HCIMONIT. Where can I find it?

You have 5 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
You have 2 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)

And the Config.sys USB entries are:
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:9 /FLOPPIES:1

If your USB stick is formatted as FAT32 you will also need the FAT32 IFS in your config.sys (and installed on your system):
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q

Which versions are these, as there seem to be quite a number floating around. I have the ones from ACP2 installed but REMed out in config.sys. I presume they should suffice...

Though having said that, I've just looked, and have neither USBOHCD.SYS or USBEHCD.SYS on my system, but I do have USBUHCD.SYS and USBUHCD2.SYS

As I said I find this all very confusing.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »
See the attachment for hcimonit.

Depending on which controllers your computer has your list of drivers in config.sys will be different to mine.

All of our computers use the USB drivers in the USBDRV202.ZIP package from hobbes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:49:00 pm by ivan »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 07:58:41 pm »
Hi

Also be aware that hcimonit.exe has problems on some systems and returns incorrect results; USBcfg does not use hcimonit.exe but queries the hardware directly and, so far, no one has reported incorrect results.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:52:23 pm »
Sorry Pete, I keep on forgetting your program because we use it so infrequently (last time was about 12 months ago when I setup a new workstation).

karotlopj

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 10:50:15 pm »
Hi

Also be aware that hcimonit.exe has problems on some systems and returns incorrect results; USBcfg does not use hcimonit.exe but queries the hardware directly and, so far, no one has reported incorrect results.

Regards

Pete

've just installed USBcfg and on rebooting was greeted with the msg

USBMSD.ADD: USBD.SYS driver not loaded

I'm using the IBM 10.58 USBMSD.ADD driver

There is no BASEDEV statement for USBD.SYS. Should there be?

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:24:35 am »
USBMSD.sys is the mass storage device driver. It is needed for, well, mass storage devices).
Generally, the old (IBM supplied) USB drivers have a host of problems and defects in detecting and enumerating devices. Go for the AN package or Lars's drivers on Hobbes. The latest releases are stable and so+ve most issues.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:32:25 am »
Hi JohnP

You need USBD.SYS for all USB devices except mouse and keyboard which require USBDHID.SYS.

Looks like I should put a check into USBcfg so that when a driver is selected by the user USBcfg checks that USBD.SYS, or USBHID.SYS in the case of mouse and keyboard, is already selected and if not displays a message warning the user - maybe even offers to "automatically" select the needed driver.

I'm guessing that was bldlevel 10.158 which worked for me but did not work or work as well for other people.

Ideally you want to get hold of the iBM USB updates that include USBMSD.ADD and USBCDROM.ADD buildlevel 10.162 as they are the IBM builds that work best. Sorry, not having purchased Warp4.5+ from IBM I do not know where to get those updates...

Regards

Pete

karotlopj

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 10:13:12 am »
The bldlevel of the IBM ACP2 USB drivers is 10.058.

I have now updated a couple of drivers - USBD.SYS USBMSD.ADD USBUHCD.SYS by Lars Erdmann to 10.202

There was no USBRESMG.SYS in the original so I didn't I didn't include - maybe a mistake.

In any case I still can't mount a 128 MB FAT formatted USB stick.

In CONFIG.SYS I have

BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /A_USAGE:2 /REMOVABLES:2 /V

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 11:59:09 am »
Do you have the FAT32.IFS line in your config.sys and the FAT32.ifs in os2\boot as well as UFAT32.DLL in os2\dll?  You will not be able to see a FAT32 formatted drive without them.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 01:02:06 pm »
A couple of things:
1) you always need USBD.SYS for ALL devices, no matter what device class. USBD.SYS is the "mediator" that interconnects the client drivers for the various device classes (USBHID.SYS, USBMSD.ADD, USBPRT.SYS, USBCOM.SYS, USBAUDIO.SYS, USBETHR.OS2 etc.) with the host controller drivers that do the "real data movement" work (USBUHCD.SYS, USBOHCD.SYS, USBEHCD.SYS)
USBHID.SYS has the special job that it is serving the "HID" device class which encompasses any USB device the user directly interacts with and by itself is the "mediator" for USBKBD.SYS and USBMOUSE.SYS which serve specific HID device types (keyboard and mouse respectively).

2) use HCIMONIT.EXE to tell you what host controllers you have and what type they are (UHCI, OHCI or EHCI). Then, supposing you have 5 UHCI controllers and 1 EHCI controller you need this as a minimum in config.sys to operate up to 4 USB mass memory devices:
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:4

And as ivan has correctly pointed out you of course need to install the file system drivers for all file systems you use.