Author Topic: Firefox 38.8.0 for OS/2 Beta 7  (Read 46014 times)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 38.8.0 for OS/2 Beta 7
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:23 am »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 05:20:22 am »
Thanks Dave for the zipper with must have stuff. Probably I forgot one, but I did copy all to the directory eCS\dll.  The nss stuff was already in the right place, same date same time. No nix directory stuff. Next you have to re-install all what you had added. First get the browser in my language. Next get the fonts right, tabpage kicked out in order to get my page space back. Have to install or renew the mm stuff, but a youtube film did play, only it stutters. Seems to be a problem in FF, not in porting. And finally its sees the world instead of only my computer system. All in all, its getting worse with FF if your mindset is somewhat different, your native is not English and your screen is still modest instead of some kind of digital wallpaper.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 04:38:23 pm »
Had to install all the extensions again. I had copied them from a previous version. But after that FF keeps nagging at the bottom with all kinds of message for a fresh restart. Oh yeh, welcome back it said grmbl... Finally I did that and had to reinstall all from scratch. So, it might be handy to keep notes on what you did, like some sick person who programmed that FF keeps thumbnails from each screen. That directory is filling up like hell. The worst thing is that it is hidden and that you have to make a new Boolean for stopping it. What had they in mind with such behavior? If you want to stop this behavior you have to use "browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled" with value: true. Go to the page about:config. With the other mouse button you get a menu and choose from that menu  add. You get a question what, there you fill in "browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled" and next you get a screen with value, choose "true". Next you get a page with all "browser..." and you can control if your new added is between them. If so close screen.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:47:29 pm by Joop »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2016, 04:55:19 pm »
If you want an other font or you want back your "real estate" in screen-size you have to install a few extensions.
I have these;
Exif Viewer version 2.00.1-signed.1-signed - I use this for checking on photo's on the net.
Locale Switcher version 3.1-signed.1-signed - I use this one for switching from English to Dutch in menu's et all
Tab Mix Plus version 0.5.0.0 - I use this to set single window browsing and hide tab-pages if you only have one. This give more room for pages.
Theme Font & Size Changer version 43.4 - I use this one to change to an other font in the menu's et all. Standard it is large and takes valuable space. With this you can choose for another font and font-size.
Nederlands (NL) Language Pack version 38.8.0 - I use this for the conversion to Dutch.

Have fun!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »
The "welcome back..." thing is a known bug fixed by deleting parent.lock in your profile. You should be able to find your old profile on your desktop, which is another bug on OS/2 as the desktop isn't the place to back up stuff to.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2016, 02:47:29 am »
Tab Mix Plus version 0.5.0.0 - I use this to set single window browsing and hide tab-pages if you only have one. This give more room for pages.
I deleted Tab Mix Plus version 0.5.0.0, from the log it shows not so compatible and give some error.
I found another extension:
Hide Tab Bar With One Tab version 1.5.1-signed.1-signed, this was the reason for Tab Mix Plus, this one does the same automatic.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 06:48:36 pm »
I check my html pages with total validator. With FF 24.8.1 Beta 4 the result page from total validator is accepted and set to screen. With FF 38.8.0 Beta 7 I have problems. The page is not accepted and not set to screen. Get an error back from total validator that I have to shut down the browser and start over again. Is this behavior only with me or are there more users with same kind of problems?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 08:08:16 pm »
The "welcome back..." thing is a known bug fixed by deleting parent.lock in your profile. You should be able to find your old profile on your desktop, which is another bug on OS/2 as the desktop isn't the place to back up stuff to.

I have a couple of systems where it "doesn't matter", so I did the cleanup, as offered. In fact, I think it did improve the operation, and nothing seems to have gone away. It does put the old stuff on the desktop, but I just deleted that. Now, I have done it on my main system, and that is okay too.

MAKE a BACKUP first, but it may be worth doing the cleanup.

YMMV