Author Topic: Firefox 38.8.0 for OS/2 Beta 7  (Read 46001 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Firefox 38.8.0 for OS/2 Beta 7
« on: May 28, 2016, 08:34:09 pm »
Where to go for download?
And I don't want to start a war or so, but I do read unbelievable bullshit about installing needed libs. He really doesn't understand a thing about the power of OS/2.
All needed libs are in [drive:]\ecs\dll. Its in the config.sys, nothing changes there. Just copy the stuff in this lib. Only fontconfig path is different. How hard is it just to do it this way, I don't need a program which fucks up my system. If I want Linux that badly I go for such a system. So I want to install it my way, in this way no installation is standard, best way to keep it virus free. The trouble of Windows and Linux (Mac) is that everyone has the same layout when it comes to lib files, the best recipe for planting a virus in the system. So if you  want that, dream on..

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
Re: Firefox 38.8.0 for OS/2 Beta 7
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:02:41 pm »
Hi Joop.

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/releases/tag/FIREFOX_38_8_0esr_RELEASE_OS2_Beta_7

Hint to others, if you get error messages re file errors, missing files, or corrupt DLL's and you have already installed the required library's. Try backing up your previous FF 38.x.x and unzip the new zip file over the top of it. That fixed the DLL error messages for me. 38.8 is working well here so far.

Install the libc066 & gcc4core, fontconfig and cairo/pango/icu files from Steve's site at  http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

Until now I've always unzipped firefox*.zip after renaming my old firefox directory.
The latest firefox zip seems to be missing some DLL's that shipped with previous versions.
Using the previous version of Firefox's DLL's appears to work with no errors at all.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:11:14 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:45:54 pm »
Installed 38.8. Its coming up. But I have to tweak it a little so it understands that the preferred language is Dutch, but getting the necessary plug ins I get this

Unexpected response from server

Firefox doesn't know how to communicate with the server.

Check to make sure your system has the Personal Security Manager installed.
    This might be due to a non-standard configuration on the server.

End of try. I have all up and running, have no server, installed too much libs?

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:57:31 am »
Try backing up your previous FF 38.x.x and unzip the new zip file over the top of it. That fixed the DLL error messages for me. 38.8 is working well here so far.

I would never suggest to go this way.  Third part dlls have to reside in proper place = %UNIXROOT%\usr\lib\  but not in FireFox dir.

this is a list of dlls supplied with 38.2.1:
freebl3.dll
mozalloc.dll
mozsqlt3.dll
nspr4.dll
nss3.dll
nssckbi.dll
nssdbm3.dll
nssutil3.dll
plc4.dll
plds4.dll
smime3.dll
softokn3.dll
ssl3.dll
xul.dll

this is a list supplied with 38.8.0 :
mozalloc.dll
mozsqlt3.dll
xul.dll

The rest have gone to  %UNIXROOT%\usr\lib\

By coping new ver of FF over old  you force  FF to use dlls supplied with old ver - what is  completely wrong.

How are you going to know that you are using proper ver of dlls ?

Right scenario is:
1) update/install dlls according to FF README, using ANPM or YUM
2)
.. unzip firefox*.zip after renaming my old firefox directory.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:00:17 am by OS4User »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:06:08 am »
It should work fine with the nspr and nss supplied with FF38.2.1 (or whatever the last release was) or perhaps the ones with my last SM.
Now when (and if) FF 45 comes out...

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:51:37 pm »
It should work fine with the nspr and nss supplied with FF38.2.1 (or whatever the last release was) or perhaps the ones with my last SM.
No, get same error, can't go to www.google.nl or can't go to add on's. Same error as above. Installed all nspr and nss files. Also the readme contains filenames which can't be found on the download site. So how can a package find them, it needs to have a list to act from.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 07:30:15 pm »
OK, thanks for testing. I guess then it'll need the same version of the nss libraries as it was linked against, which would mean unrpming the rpms if zips aren't available. Note that other programs such as the new VirtualBox port (I think) will also need nss and nsprpub.
It's interesting that a Netscape era error message is still lurking in the code.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »
I will point out that it took a couple of minutes, using Arca Noae Package Manager, to get this right, and I used my latest WarpIn installer (at Netlabs, and Hobbes) to get Firefox 38.8.0 properly installed. The WarpIn installer no longer makes any attempt to verify that the user has the proper DLLs (and other things) installed. ANPM (recommended), or the YUM command line, will do that properly. Trying to do it yourself is probably possible, but I suspect that it will turn into an exercise in frustration, before you figure it out. It seems that even the developers don't know what you need.

FWIW, I installed FF 38.8.0 last night, and it seems to be working well. The only anomaly, that I have noticed, is that it insists that I haven't used FF for a while, it welcomes me back, and it offers to clean up Firefox. I haven't let it do that, yet.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 07:47:25 pm »
OK, thanks for testing. I guess then it'll need the same version of the nss libraries as it was linked against, which would mean unrpming the rpms if zips aren't available. Note that other programs such as the new VirtualBox port (I think) will also need nss and nsprpub.
It's interesting that a Netscape era error message is still lurking in the code.
Thanks Dave, couldn't find a package for unrpming. I do have more bugs, but I'm not sure if this has to do with libs which aren't the right version or which are missing. But I don't get any errors at startup. Yet it can't call a page. This frightens me, mallware can find its way without warning. Hopefully OS/2 will shut the program down when something is started at the background and is not known by OS/2. 

In several occasions with early eComstation installations all rpm installations failed with at the end a chaos on the computer. No thanks, may be I will install rpm when Blue Lion (or whatever they will call it) comes out in my native language, but that will be no sooner than somewhere in 2017. They make the same mistake as with eComstation, when other language packs are coming out they are behind compared to the native English one, which will lead to differences in what you can do at programming level.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 08:24:26 pm »
couldn't find a package for unrpming.

Apparently 7ZIP will do it, but I seem to recall that it takes two passes.

In several occasions with early eComstation installations all rpm installations failed with at the end a chaos on the computer.

That is why you should get, and use, Arca Noae Package Manager (and avoid the experimental repository). It cannot compensate for poor RPM/YUM packaging (which happens far too often), but it almost always stops before any damage can be done.

They make the same mistake as with eComstation, when other language packs are coming out they are behind compared to the native English one, which will lead to differences in what you can do at programming level.

That is not necessarily a "mistake". It is the reality that there just aren't enough people to do the job. The English version appears first, simply because that is the language that is already done during development. It takes some time for other languages to be done, and verified, before they can be released. It is not an ideal situation, but I don't know of any good way to speed up the process.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 09:39:39 pm »
Recent releases of the Archive Viewer, including the one that comes with eCS2.2beta2 (or get the latest from Alex's site) will open RPMs.
As for malware, most is compiled or at least expects Windows and won't get very far on OS/2.
Now a days the real danger is from JavaScript malware leveraging security holes in the browser, which is why it is important to use the latest possible. Things like one tab spying on a neighbouring tab to get passwords and such is a possibility. I recommend using NoScript or at least an ad blocker as most of the malicious code is in third party ads and can be on any page.
Then there is trickery used to get you to go to a malicious page. Today I noticed 3 messages in 3 mailing lists trying to get users to go to various (very likely malicious) pages. Seems Blonde Guys password leaked out  :(

Daniel

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 11:56:53 pm »
Using an ad and malware blocking "hosts" file is quite useful, and free.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm has the info. The file, which is plain text, is at http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip
Just rename "x:\mptn\etc\hosts" to "hosts.bak" or such, where "x" is your boot partition, and unzip the downloaded file in the same directory. It makes for a much calmer and safer browsing experience.

If you have added any lines to your hosts file you will have to add them to the replacement file. Most have never touched the file and need do nothing.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 01:10:15 am »
Hi Joop

Thanks Dave, couldn't find a package for unrpming.

Use the Archive Viewer supplied with eCS - or the latest version http://www.altsan.org/programming/os2/#arcview

Regards

Pete

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 01:14:57 am »
couldn't find a package for unrpming.
Unpackaging .rpm files works as follows:

Code: [Select]
rpm2cpio file.rpm | cpio -i
See How do I extract a RPM file? - Ask Ubuntu

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 11:01:12 am »
In ecs22b2 only the first start show this message:
Flash Plugin!
NSPR4.DLL not found....
The second start is all ok.

In ecs2.0, in all cases show that message error. Only if copy the unixroot\usr\lib\nspr4.dll to firefox folder solve the problem.

Saludos