Author Topic: Need help with QSINIT  (Read 19697 times)

karotlopj

Need help with QSINIT
« on: May 29, 2016, 11:01:07 pm »
I have finally managed to get PXE boot working to load QSINIT, not sure how, a lot of trial and a great deal of error, but I am now at a point  where I get something like this on the screen... (See attached image). I don't get any of the options shown at the bottom, such as boot, shell or apps...

Except mine includes the menu in OS2LDR.INI

[kernel]
; os2ldr.ibm (os2ldr from IBM) and launch it
os2ldr.old   =  IBM OS2LDR  ,Restart
os2krnl      =  104b_SMP
os2krnl.dbg  =  104a_SMP dbg
os4krnl      =  CurrentD      ,LOGSIZE=128,PRELOAD,LOADSYM
os4krnl      =  use config.os4,LOGSIZE=128,PRELOAD,CFGEXT=os4
os4krnl      =  CurrentD 2048 ,LOGSIZE=128,PRELOAD,LOADSYM,VALIMIT=2048
os4krnlr     =  CurrentR      ,LOGSIZE=128,PRELOAD
k3925        =  3925          ,LOGSIZE=128,PRELOAD
k2247        =  2247          ,LOGSIZE=128,PRELOAD
os4krnl      =  Show driver names,ALTF2

But nothing works!

How do I get to boot from QSINIT.LDI?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:07:06 pm by John Poltorak »

walking_x

• View Profile
Re: Need help with QSINIT
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 12:55:56 pm »
Did you read ramdisk\paedisk.txt in QSINIT archive?

You need to create ram disk if you using PXEOS4, the way to do it - described in this file.

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:32:23 pm »
Did you read ramdisk\paedisk.txt in QSINIT archive?

You need to create ram disk if you using PXEOS4, the way to do it - described in this file.

I have just read it and don't understand what to do....

8. The same process can be used for PXE boot (with PXEOS4).
   Just put QSSETUP.CMD and FATOS2.ZIP to TFTP dir for this PC.

But where do I find QSSETUP.CMD?

6. Create QSSETUP.CMD (example contents) in this root:

rem create FAT ramdisk with max 1900Mb and guaranteed 100Mb size
   rem and Q: LVM drive letter
   RAMDISK Q: min=100 max=1900
   rem ramdisk mounted to first available QSINIT drive letter, this will
   rem be C:, so unzip ZIP to drive C:
   echo unzipping...
   unzip /q /boot FATOS2.ZIP c:\
   rem launch OS2KRNL from the root of RAM disk
   bootos2 os2krnl source=c

Am I supposed to find a \BOOT directory or do I need to create one within qsinit.ldi

I'm very confused by all this...

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 05:08:39 pm »
/boot - is a key, not directory. It means loading from boot device via OS/2 micro-FSD mechanism. This is tftp in PXE case.
Try unzip /? in QSINIT shell.

QSSETUP.CMD - is something like AUTOEXEC.BAT and it is optional. Just create a new one.

karotlopj

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:47:57 am »
/boot - is a key, not directory. It means loading from boot device via OS/2 micro-FSD mechanism. This is tftp in PXE case.
Try unzip /? in QSINIT shell.

QSSETUP.CMD - is something like AUTOEXEC.BAT and it is optional. Just create a new one.

I am still not clear what you mean....

In  TFTPROOT I have a directory of pxeos4.cfg which contains a file corresponding to the MAC address of the NIC which contains:-

# sample config for pxeos4

#tftp-packet-size=1410 # TFTP data packet size

device-id=128 # first HDD
device-part=2 # 0 - non partitioned, 1-4 - primary, 5+ - extended
drive=C # boot drive letter

# TFTP dir for files requested by os4ldr. Also file names in this config are
# relative to this dir if these names are not started from /
system-root=os4

# initial files to be loaded by microFSD
os4ldr=OS2LDR.OS4
os4boot=hpfsmini.fsd

In TFTPROOT I have:-

\os4\OS2LDR.OS4
\os4\QSSETUP.CMD
\os4\OS2LDR.INI
\os4\hpfsmini.fsd
\os4\QSINIT.LDI

I have no idea what to put in QSSETUP.CMD, so I have just put this in:-

echo hello
dir
pause

When I booting I just get as as far as the screen in Post 1.

I don't know what the QSINIT shell is... I don't see any prompt where I can enter any commands

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:40:40 am »

I think you are expecting something after you boot OS/2. QSINIT does it's work in place of OS2LDR. When you see the menu (as posted a few posts back), that has the option to drop to the QSINIT shell (F3 will drop you to the QSINIT command line - it is an OS in itself). QSINIT can use some files from the root of the boot drive, as documented. I suggest that you start with a less complicated setup, and get that working, then add whatever else you want.

karotlopj

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:31 am »

I think you are expecting something after you boot OS/2. QSINIT does it's work in place of OS2LDR. When you see the menu (as posted a few posts back), that has the option to drop to the QSINIT shell (F3 will drop you to the QSINIT command line - it is an OS in itself). QSINIT can use some files from the root of the boot drive, as documented. I suggest that you start with a less complicated setup, and get that working, then add whatever else you want.

I don't get any options such as shell or apps, just a menu displayed in my first message. I have no idea what should loadd QSSETUP or what should go in it. I don't see how I can get a less complicated setup. I know some part of QSINIT is working because I see the menu, but have no idea how to create a ramdisk to boot from. I have read the docs many times but it is unclear what I'm missing. To install QSINIT, only these three steps are required.

* rename original IBM OS2LDR to OS2LDR.OLD (for example). You can add it into
   loader menu as one of options (with RESTART key).

* put OS2LDR and QSINIT.LDI to the root of boot drive.

* create OS2LDR.INI text file, for example:

That sounds pretty straightforward and even simple enough for me to follow, but there must be something else....

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 10:55:58 am »
If you look to the bottom of menu screen - you can see the hint line about available keys, where "[F3] - shell" is present ;) I.e. F3 in menu goes to shell. "Exit" in shell will return you to menu.

And about qssetup.cmd. Is your tftp server hosted on unix? Just try to lower case file name (i.e. qssetup.cmd, not QSSETUP.CMD).

karotlopj

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 11:23:27 am »
If you look to the bottom of menu screen - you can see the hint line about available keys, where "[F3] - shell" is present ;) I.e. F3 in menu goes to shell. "Exit" in shell will return you to menu.

And about qssetup.cmd. Is your tftp server hosted on unix? Just try to lower case file name (i.e. qssetup.cmd, not QSSETUP.CMD).

As i said in my original msg - I don't get any of the options shown at the bottom, such as boot, shell or apps... so there is no [F3]...

My tftp server is on FreeNAS and I did notice that case seemed to be significant when loading OS2LDR.OS4 which would only load when the filename was in uppercase. But I think there is some vital step missing as far as QSSETUP goes...

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 04:04:12 pm »
Oops, you are using OS/4 loader instead of QSINIT. Menu looks the same, except bottom part :)
I.e. you put wrong OS2LDR file - from OS/4 distribution.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:07:52 pm by walking_x »

karotlopj

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:51:35 am »
Many thanks for pointing this out, I do get the options now, and it's nice to be able bypass Boot Manager if I have lost access to a disk....

Now I'll start finding out what can be done with QSINIT, but I haven't worked out if I can fully boot up OS/2 from a ramdisk.

Does QSINIT use these parameters from PXEOS4's default.cfg?

#device-id=128 # first HDD
#device-part=2 # 0 - non partitioned, 1-4 - primary, 5+ - extended
drive=P # boot drive letter

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 01:46:38 pm »
No, this is PXEOS4's own ability to simulate boot from hard disk.
It provides OS/2 loader and kernel from tftp and then changes boot type to HPFS from selected partition.
Initially, it was developed for easy kernel swapping during tests, but suitable for using PXE as source in other custom ways.

karotlopj

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 08:37:04 pm »
What I can't work out is whether QSINIT can load OS2KRNL and boot OS/2 from a ramdisk....

Can you give me an example of a QSSETUP.CMD which does something, anything at all...

I have created one containg the following:-

echo hello
dir
pause
RAMDISK Q:

and placed it in the same directory as QSINIT.LDI expecting it to run automatically but see no output. How do I get it to run?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 07:13:59 am »
What I can't work out is whether QSINIT can load OS2KRNL and boot OS/2 from a ramdisk....

Yes, it can. READ the instructions in the documentation.

You DO need to use a FAT16 RAMDISK, and your ZIPed system needs to have all 8.3 file names. QSINIT unzips the ZIPed system into the RAMDISK, then it can boot from it. FAT16 is necessary because QSINIT cannot unzip into a HPFS RAMDISK, and OS/2 cannot operate a FAT32 RAMDISK before it loads the FAT32 driver.

Can you give me an example of a QSSETUP.CMD which does something, anything at all...

Mine has this:
Code: [Select]
RAMDISK min=1536 max=2047 R:
log save c:\log.txt

It creates a RAMDISK with minimum size of 1536 meg, and a maximum size of 2047 meg, then assigns LVM drive address R:. Then, it copies the QSINIT log file to what QSINIT sees as the C: drive, which is seen by OS/2, after BASEDEV=hd4disk.add loads, as the R: drive.

and placed it in the same directory as QSINIT.LDI expecting it to run automatically but see no output. How do I get it to run?

You are still missing the concept that QSINIT is an OS (similar to DOS). It runs when you boot, and shows you the menu options. I am not sure if the menu shows before QSSETUP.CMD is run, or after, but it is all done by the time it starts to load OS2KRNL. You should be able to see it if you use F3, when the menu is showing, and drop to a command line in QSINIT. I doubt if "pause" is a good thing to do (hopefully, it does nothing). I also doubt if "echo" does anything useful. Remember that QSSETUP.CMD is an "AUTOEXEC.BAT" for the QSINIT OS, and the QSINIT OS is all done by the time OS2KRNL loads.

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 08:49:47 am »
"Pause" will, actually, makes pause.
So, your cmd file should print directory, yes.

This means file in wrong place (or, still, name case troubles on linux server? I'm using OS/2 hosted tftp). May be I need to add check for QSSETUP.CMD in pxe case, not only for "qssetup.cmd" ;)