Author Topic: libusb-1.0 port to OS/2 - help needed  (Read 75693 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: libusb-1.0 port to OS/2 - help needed
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:31 am »
  Thanks again Paul... this new lsusb works just fine. I have also got your latest SANE working with Tame too - very nice! Think I'll push the envelope and see if I can get saned working and scan remotely...8-)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 08:36:59 am »
Hi Dave,

Thanks again Paul... this new lsusb works just fine. I have also got your latest SANE working with Tame too - very nice! Think I'll push the envelope and see if I can get saned working and scan remotely...8-)

Cool - great to hear! IIRC your printer is connected to a print server and not USB connected?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2013, 11:57:23 am »
libmtp build updated to use libusb10.dll - http://smedley.id.au/tmp/libmtp-1.1.6-os2.zip

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2013, 12:00:00 pm »
I also have an (untested) heimdall build for anyone feeling brave and who owns a Samsung device

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2013, 10:20:21 pm »
Paul,

Yes, my printer is connected to a print server. Just FYI - reading the instructions for hpaio (even though I don't have an HP scanner) inspired me to try getting the HP backend for CUPS printing working. Setting up hplip.conf and running 'hp-mkuri -i 192.168.0.200' (which gave me the proper setting to use for the device), then changing the printer setting in CUPS and now I can print with the HP backend from HPLIP... woohoo! Now I am wondering if it would be possible to use any of the Python scripts that came with HPLIP? I'll eventually get to remote scanning....

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2013, 10:57:14 am »
Hi Dave,
  Yes, my printer is connected to a print server. Just FYI - reading the instructions for hpaio (even though I don't have an HP scanner) inspired me to try getting the HP backend for CUPS printing working. Setting up hplip.conf and running 'hp-mkuri -i 192.168.0.200' (which gave me the proper setting to use for the device), then changing the printer setting in CUPS and now I can print with the HP backend from HPLIP... woohoo! Now I am wondering if it would be possible to use any of the Python scripts that came with HPLIP? I'll eventually get to remote scanning....

I'll try put together a printing  package based on 3.13.3 soon.  The python scripts from hplip aren't usable yet.  There are a couple of python modules that need to be compiled/installed, and PyQt probably needs some more work.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2013, 11:27:43 am »
I'll try put together a printing  package based on 3.13.3 soon.  The python scripts from hplip aren't usable yet.  There are a couple of python modules that need to be compiled/installed, and PyQt probably needs some more work.

I should also add that based on the amount of feedback on hplip and other things in general, I don't know that it's worth the significant effort that would be involved in getting PyQt and the hplip python scripts working.....

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »
I should also add that based on the amount of feedback on hplip and other things in general, I don't know that it's worth the significant effort that would be involved in getting PyQt and the hplip python scripts working.....

Hi Paul. Please remember that only about one in a hundred will say anything. Most users are not even sure what you are talking about, but they do appreciate the work that you do.

Personally, I have been using CUPS with my Canon i960, but it doesn't work properly. There seems to be something messed up in the configuration, and it cuts off about 5 mm on the right side of the page. The old OMNI driver, for the Canon i950 works better (and a LOT faster). CUPS does print though.

My brother has a Canon MP620, that you got working about a year ago, using WiFi (bjnp.exe, which doesn't seem to exist in the latest CUPS packages). At the end of June, I will be trying to update that again. Hopefully, the update will be done by installing eCS 2.2 GA.   :)   I will also try to get the built in scanner to work, if I have the time.

Meanwhile, I have been looking at what is available to update my own printer. The i960 has been showing its age, recently. It seems that every printer on the "working" list is not available, and there are newer ones that have replaced them (compatibility unknown). I probably won't get serious about that until August, but it seems to be a real problem. New printers, that are supported, don't even exist on the clearance shelves (but I haven't spent a lot of time looking, yet). I suppose that one answer would be to get an Apple printer, which is likely to get support, eventually. I am considering getting a color laser printer, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I don't use very often.

About 30 years ago, I attended a presentation by IBM, where it was stated that printers probably wouldn't exist by1990. I knew that wasn't going to work when I saw the presenter check his e-mail, and print every one of them so he could read them (shredding them after reading, of course). Today, printers will become obsolete, simply because they change so fast that nobody can keep up to the changes, and people are starting to realize that it is faster, and easier, to view things on the screen. Portable screens also make that much easier.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2013, 06:59:04 pm »
Hi Paul,

It's all good! I just like to tinker with these things and see how far I can take them. Any effort you take on any of this stuff is certainly appreciated by me at least... and I'm sure a lot of lurkers too.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2013, 07:34:46 pm »
Hi Paul,

I am one of the silent majority regarding CUPS and hplip. 

When the combination works with my HP Color Laserjet 3500 it works extremely well - this is through the print server on my D-Link Nas.  The problem I have is when the nas goes into sleep mode there is no way I can do any more printing without having to re-install CUPS.  I am assuming this is a problem caused by the nas and not CUPS/hplip hence I have not commented about it before this.

It is much quicker to just save up printing - by printing to file - and then open a cut down version of win XP in VirtualBox and print from there.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2013, 04:51:36 am »
Hi Doug,

Hi Paul. Please remember that only about one in a hundred will say anything. Most users are not even sure what you are talking about, but they do appreciate the work that you do.

You are probably correct about the one in a hundred, but it's extremely frustrating.  Take libusb for example. I'd estimate I spent 20 - 30 hours working on it, possibly more, over a period of several weeks. Now that the port is available, it opens several doors in terms of other software that can be ported & used on OS/2.

I don't *personally* need any of these ports. My desktop OS has been Ubuntu since April 2011. The work I do on OS/2 is purely for a) entertainment and b) because I still have a soft spot for OS/2. I get a lot of satisfaction from getting things working, but in some cases, I put things out there via places like os2world, and based on no feedback - so I don't even know if they're found to be a) useful of b) work they never end up on my site as I don't want to link to things that a) aren't useful or b) don't work, to the possible detriment of other users.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2013, 05:27:35 am »
Hi Paul,

I've spent some time trying to get network scanning going with saned and I'm so close I can smell it... but not quite there. 'Scanimage -L' works fine remotely, but when I try to do 'scanimage > scan.pnm', I hear the scanner initialize, then there is a 30 second lull, then the scanner initializes again and an error show on the remote machine: 'scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O'. I'm pretty sure I got all the proper settings in the various conf and TCPIP files.

Is there a way to set up debugging of the network interface of SANE?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2013, 06:15:11 am »
Hi Doug,

You are probably correct about the one in a hundred, but it's extremely frustrating.  Take libusb for example. I'd estimate I spent 20 - 30 hours working on it, possibly more, over a period of several weeks. Now that the port is available, it opens several doors in terms of other software that can be ported & used on OS/2.

I think that something like libusb would mean something only to other developers, who might need it for a project that they are working on. A normal user would have no need for such a thing, by itself. Since you asked for help, those who try to do more than sit back and wait, stepped forward, and did some testing. I must admit that I, for one, did not see any use for it, until you mentioned USB scanners. Whether it will actually turn into something useful, or not, remains to be seen, although initial reports from those who did some USB scanner testing, would seem to be somewhat encouraging. Then, there is the question about how many OS2/eCS users even have a USB scanner. I would bet that there are not a lot. If libusb turns out to be useful for scanners, there may be more, in the future. I for one have an antique Epson ES-1000C SCSI scanner, that doesn't want to work on recent hardware, and SCSI is becoming more of a problem, so I am thinking about getting a new scanner. I expect that it will be USB, when I find something that will likely work. Unfortunately, you usually cannot buy something, and return it just because it won't work with eCS.

I don't *personally* need any of these ports. My desktop OS has been Ubuntu since April 2011. The work I do on OS/2 is purely for a) entertainment and b) because I still have a soft spot for OS/2. I get a lot of satisfaction from getting things working, but in some cases, I put things out there via places like os2world, and based on no feedback - so I don't even know if they're found to be a) useful of b) work they never end up on my site as I don't want to link to things that a) aren't useful or b) don't work, to the possible detriment of other users.

We all appreciate what you do, many just don't bother to say so.

Perhaps you need to split your web site into two parts. 1) with "proven" software, and 2) with "experimental" software. When somebody reports that "experimental" software works, move it to the "proven" area (perhaps three good reports would be better). In fact, three parts, with the third being software support stuff, might make sense.

As for "aren't useful": I admit that I find a lot of what gets ported to be "not useful". I hate to say so, because others obviously find some of it to be useful, and every once in a while, I go looking for something that has been around for a while, that I didn't find useful when it first appeared. Perhaps you need some way for users to request "useful" ports. That would, of course, lead to porting libraries etc. Just picking something, because it sounds like something that people would like, will work sometimes, but spending two weeks on a picture viewer is probably a waste of time, because we already have PMView, which is hard to beat.

At the moment, I have been putting off collecting the information required to try to get Uniaud to work on my new Lenovo ThinkPad L530 system. Version 2.02.01, produced by DAZAR1, creates sound, but it is not right. Older versions won't even load. Now that David A. has got the Realtek Multimac driver working with it, I should get on with reporting the Uniaud problem, but I must admit that sound, on a laptop, is not a high priority for me.

If you are looking for something to do (yeah, right), Have a look at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Thinkpad-acpi. There is some indication that the program might enable WiFi radios on ThinkPad models where GENMAC/XWLAN won't do it. It has a number of other "interesting" features as well.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2013, 11:55:46 am »
Hi Dave,

I've spent some time trying to get network scanning going with saned and I'm so close I can smell it... but not quite there. 'Scanimage -L' works fine remotely, but when I try to do 'scanimage > scan.pnm', I hear the scanner initialize, then there is a 30 second lull, then the scanner initializes again and an error show on the remote machine: 'scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O'. I'm pretty sure I got all the proper settings in the various conf and TCPIP files.

Is there a way to set up debugging of the network interface of SANE?

I haven't tried saned ina  number of years. I did a quick google and found http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/

It suggests:
You can start saned with debugging enabled. To do this, you to disable the saned in your inetd.conf or xinetd.conf - otherwise you will get an error message telling you that saned couldn't bind a port. Just comment it out with hash-marks (#) or stop the whole inetd or xinetd server. Then start saned from the command line like this
       # SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=128 saned -d128

(assuming you have a Mustek SCSI scanner, see the man page of your backend for the exact name of the debug variable). If you are using csh or tcsh, you need to use setenv to set the debug variable.

Maybe you can find the error from the output yourself, if not, you can include it into a mail to the sane-devel mailing list. There should also be some output in your syslog.

On the client side you should use something like
        $ SANE_DEBUG_NET=128 scanimage -L

muffetta

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:59 pm »
Hi Paul, this info are also for my usb model?