OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

OS4 question

(1/5) > >>

R.M. Klippstein:
Will using the OS4 kernels possibly do away with the 4gb limit for files? .vdi files, and others commonly run in excess of 4gb and up tp 8gb in many cases. Need a way of copying these files. Also is there an up-to-date install procedure for the OS4 kernels?

Dave Yeo:
The JFS file system handles files larger then 2/4GBs. I think FAT32 is limited to 4GBs (or is that 2GB?) and of course HPFS is limited to 2GB files.

R.M. Klippstein:
Hi Dave, I'm using eCS with JFS and anything I try to copy craps out when it gets to 4gb. The only way I've found to get around it is to get what I need on a DVD, then use DVD/CD Toys to make a .iso of it. A couple of years ago I used a program that split the big files into a smaller pair and that seemed to work. Can't remember what program I was using, but I do remember it was a real pain to use.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Will using the OS4 kernels possibly do away with the 4gb limit for files? .vdi files, and others commonly run in excess of 4gb and up tp 8gb in many cases.
--- End quote ---

The kernel has nothing to do with file size limits. That is the file system that does that. Mentioned above, FAT32 (in OS/2) is limited to 4 GB (had a fight with that recently).

JFS is limited to something larger than the 25 GB ZIP file that I have for one of my backups (and, yes I can restore it).

I copy those files across my LAN to another eCS machine using RSYNC.

I also copy them to a couple of JFS formatted USB devices, using copy, or RSYNC.

SAMBA will also allow me to copy them to other machines over the LAN (including using win 10 as the client), but the eCS SAMBA client is pretty flaky, while the SAMBA server seems to be rock solid.

FWIW, I have quit using HPFS, which saves me some very valuable shared memory space. I use JFS for everything except sharing files with windows, which requires FAT32. JFS is noticeably faster, and far more reliable, than HPFS IMO. It is recommended to get the latest version from Arca Noae, because it fixes a rare, but very damaging, problem.

I did play with OS/4 for a while, but once it started interfering with my normal system, I quit using it, although I still have it in a virtual machine (which I haven't used for more than a year).

R.M. Klippstein:
Hey Doug, How have you been? Well I hope!
From what you just described, it looks like I should format my memory sticks to JFS and then my copying should proceed without problems, kinda dumb I didn't think of that! I'll give it a try, thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version