Author Topic: Clam-AV virus scanner  (Read 4217 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Clam-AV virus scanner
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:59 pm »
I get strange messages from Google and can't use their search engine. It started today, don't know what's going on. So I want to start with my system if something is wrong. We have clam-av, but I'm unable to download the main cvd. This database is grown out of proportions, my estimate is about 1.3G and with only 1G mem you go to use your swapper.dat extensively. But its going slow and at some point OS/2 send me the message that clam-av doesn't respond and after that most wise thing to do is a restart.
Now is this database grown over the 1G or is something else wrong? Can still use all programs, so my guess is that the database is grown to big with the result that computer with 1G don't have a virus scanner anymore.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Clam-AV virus scanner
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:11:59 pm »
Hi Joop,

What version of Google are you trying to use that gives the odd messages. google.com or the regional variant (google.nl, google.fr etc.)?  Can you give an example of what the messages say?

Some time ago I got odd messages when google automatically switched me to a geolocation regional version.  Since then I found a 'magic' string to add and now only get google.com. 

I must say that over 1 GB does appear to be rather large for a virus definition file, maybe they forgot to compress it.

Edit:
I just had a quick look and the main.cvd appears to be about 105 MB and the daily.cvd is about 10 MB.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:20:01 pm by ivan »

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Clam-AV virus scanner
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 01:30:20 am »
What version of Google are you trying to use that gives the odd messages. google.com or the regional variant (google.nl, google.fr etc.)?  Can you give an example of what the messages say?
I get automatic this: https://www.google.nl/?gws_rd=ssl. I did try to get the message back, but it seems a hickup of Google.
I must say that over 1 GB does appear to be rather large for a virus definition file, maybe they forgot to compress it.
Edit:
I just had a quick look and the main.cvd appears to be about 105 MB and the daily.cvd is about 10 MB.
No, when its loading (don't know if its ready with downloading) it goes strait to the ceiling and beyond. Some time ago it stays just below the 1G, now its going way over. Could it be a setting?