Author Topic: OS/4 Kernel trouble  (Read 8415 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
OS/4 Kernel trouble
« on: September 05, 2016, 06:18:50 pm »
  I tried the OS/4 kernel on my laptop for the first time today, and while it boots, I get a repeating desktop startup sound, and no devices with IRQ's above 15 work (sound, network, USB). It is the same with or without the /APIC switch. Has anyone run into this before? One thing unusual about this laptop - when using the Netlabs ACPI.PSD, the hardware manager shows ACPI on IRQ 10. Everything else I have seen uses IRQ 9. Maybe related to the issue? I'll attach the kernlog file.

OS4User

• View Profile
Re: OS/4 Kernel trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:58:10 am »
  I tried the OS/4 kernel on my laptop for the first time today, and while it boots, I get a repeating desktop startup sound, and no devices with IRQ's above 15 work (sound, network, USB). It is the same with or without the /APIC switch. Has anyone run into this before? One thing unusual about this laptop - when using the Netlabs ACPI.PSD, the hardware manager shows ACPI on IRQ 10. Everything else I have seen uses IRQ 9. Maybe related to the issue? I'll attach the kernlog file.

Probably it's a bug in the MPtable, pls show an output from http://gus.biysk.ru/os4/tools/mptable-2.0.12.zip

try  to run with ACPI.PSD (patched and with /ST=0)

how many CPU do you see under ACPI.PSD ?

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:35:37 pm »
 I attached the MPTable info. How do I patch ver 3.23.02 of ACPI.PSD? I have 1 CPU and ACPI.PSD indicates one as well. I'll also attach OEMHLP$ using IBM kernel and ACPI.PSD.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:11:38 pm »
I attached the MPTable info. How do I patch ver 3.23.02 of ACPI.PSD? I have 1 CPU and ACPI.PSD indicates one as well. I'll also attach OEMHLP$ using IBM kernel and ACPI.PSD.

There is no patch for 3.23.02 for now,  but you may try to patch and run ACPI.PSD ver 3.22.06 -  the patch is here http://gus.biysk.ru/os4/Patches/AcpiPsdPatches.rar

Do not forget to add /ST=0 to psd command line (PSD=ACPI.PSD  /ST=0) in config.sys

Pls also show output from PCI.EXE

also test test_DMC1.zip

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 02:28:43 am »
 PCI log is attached. I tried test_DMC1, but it is worse: the mouse and keyboard also will not work with it (along with no sound, network or USB). I don't know where to get old versions of ACPI... it looks like Arca Noae doesn't keep older ones available.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:11 pm »
Sure it's a broken MPTable somewhere in BIOS.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:14:50 pm »
 A quick update....thanks to OS4USER I am now able to use the OS/4 kernel with my laptop. After updating the kernel and creating a new clock03c.sys for use with the patched ACPI.SYS he got everything working normally. There are definitely some issues with the BIOS in this thing, but OS4USER found a way!

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 07:55:59 am »
David, tnx for testing  -  it was a real help for improving OS/4 kernel.

Though a little explanation is needed: for your laptop there was a need for a special clock03c.sys because there is a bug in ACPI.SYS, not because it was patched.