OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

SMTube 16.3.0 - "Unable to Retrieve the YouTube Page"

(1/2) > >>

Mark Szkolnicki:
Hi Al!!

I finally had some additional time to test various items in the last two months, including getting SMPlayer 16.4.0 to run.

As that was highly successful I installed SMTube 16.3.0, to test access to the SMPlayer YouTube browser, and ran into a snag there.

Opening, it shows a TonVid.com window, with various avaiable Popular videos - you can also search for others.

However, clicking on any of the videos, it looks like they attempt to connect in SMPlayer and I get a "Unable to retrieve the YouTube Page"

Reading on the SMPlayer site, this seems to have been an on again off again problem with SMTube through various versions - some people have had success solving the problem supposedly installing some OpenSSL libraries while others have suggested installing Microsoft Visual Studio runtime DLL's. In one case installing a new unstable developmental version solved the problem.

With that in mind, has anyone else run into this problem  on SMTube on OS2/eCS, especially this version? Does it look as if I'm missing some additional DLL's that may need to be installed? I didn't see anything mentioned in Silvan's Read Me that came with the package.

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen in advance and Best!

Mark

Dave Yeo:
Youtube has recently changed over to pure HTTPS, so SMTube probably needs to be linked against OpenSSL or TLS. I don't think we have a port of TLS yet so it would be OpenSSL, probably the one installed by YUM/RPM. Usually there is a configure option or the build script will find the libs if installed in \usr.

Mark Szkolnicki:
Hi Dave!

| Youtube has recently changed over to pure HTTPS, so SMTube probably needs to be linked against OpenSSL or TLS. I don't think we
 | have a port of TLS yet so it would be OpenSSL, probably the one installed by YUM/RPM.

I checked through both the Arca Noae Package Manager and YUM/RPM, and both indicate that the OpenSSL is at the most current level (1.0.0 R1 in Arca Noae PM, 1.0.0r-1.oc00.i386 in yum/rpm)

| Usually there is a configure option or the build script will find the libs if installed in \usr.

Haven't checked that - will have to look and let you know (if I know what to look for, not being a programmer)

M

Dave Yeo:
Sorry, I probably mis-understood and thought you were building SMTube. Often configure scripts are run at the beginning of a build to set things up for the individual environment.
sh configure --help will give the options that the configure script can take.
BTW, the Arca Noae Package Manager is just a front end to YUM/RPM

Mark Szkolnicki:
Morning Dave!

| Sorry, I probably mis-understood and thought you were building SMTube.

No problem - what I was mentioning on the SMPlayer site was an error ticket that some users had opened some time ago related to a very similar topic in the SMTube "15" builds, and the remedies they suggested for the end user

https://sourceforge.net/p/smplayer/bugs/717/

I don't know if its the same ticket item reoccurring in the "16" builds here, or something else altogether. There doesn't seem to be a lot of guidance for the end user in the ticket linked above, other than what I stated. But having used OS/2 / eCS for going on 25 years, I've become rather good at troubleshooting, if I know where to start to look ................

| BTW, the Arca Noae Package Manager is just a front end to YUM/RPM

Actually I was aware of that - I was having some problems originally with YUM, pre- ANPM, and with Martin's and Doug's advice got it going perfectly on two partitions each on two machines (being working systems, I always like to have a fallback if one OS partition is having problems).

The problem that time was the transition from Python 2.6.x to Python 2.7.x during a YUM update - some CMD files for the bootstrap were pointing to the old runtime files in Python 2.6 and there were some problems with the library structure (now fixed at least here).

I only installed installed the ANPM a couple of weeks ago, to test with the advent of Blue Lion in the works - working flawlessly on 3 of 4 partitions, so can access YUM either way, if needed - for some reason the ANPM on the other partition can't seem to connect (but I will solve that when I get a chance as the YUM/RPM bootstrap set-up on that partition still works perfectly)

Thats why I was wondering about DLL's or other files in the UNIX type file structure, causing the problem in SMTube - whether a DLL or file was missing or misplaced in the structure, and also why I was wondering if anyone else using the OS/2/eCS version of SMTube had encountered this.

Other than the connect to YouTube problem, the SMTube installation seems to be functioning as designed as far as I can see - I prefer SMPlayer to VLC/2, as I was having hard lock-up problems with VLC/2 after running a video, most times requiring a reboot. Have not had that problem here with SMPlayer (and Mplayer of course )

Best!

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version