Author Topic: SMTube 16.3.0 - "Unable to Retrieve the YouTube Page"  (Read 12177 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
SMTube 16.3.0 - "Unable to Retrieve the YouTube Page"
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:51:05 pm »
Hi Al!!

I finally had some additional time to test various items in the last two months, including getting SMPlayer 16.4.0 to run.

As that was highly successful I installed SMTube 16.3.0, to test access to the SMPlayer YouTube browser, and ran into a snag there.

Opening, it shows a TonVid.com window, with various avaiable Popular videos - you can also search for others.

However, clicking on any of the videos, it looks like they attempt to connect in SMPlayer and I get a "Unable to retrieve the YouTube Page"

Reading on the SMPlayer site, this seems to have been an on again off again problem with SMTube through various versions - some people have had success solving the problem supposedly installing some OpenSSL libraries while others have suggested installing Microsoft Visual Studio runtime DLL's. In one case installing a new unstable developmental version solved the problem.

With that in mind, has anyone else run into this problem  on SMTube on OS2/eCS, especially this version? Does it look as if I'm missing some additional DLL's that may need to be installed? I didn't see anything mentioned in Silvan's Read Me that came with the package.

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen in advance and Best!

Mark
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: SMTube 16.3.0 - "Unable to Retrieve the YouTube Page"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:43:02 am »
Youtube has recently changed over to pure HTTPS, so SMTube probably needs to be linked against OpenSSL or TLS. I don't think we have a port of TLS yet so it would be OpenSSL, probably the one installed by YUM/RPM. Usually there is a configure option or the build script will find the libs if installed in \usr.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:24:32 am »
Hi Dave!

| Youtube has recently changed over to pure HTTPS, so SMTube probably needs to be linked against OpenSSL or TLS. I don't think we
 | have a port of TLS yet so it would be OpenSSL, probably the one installed by YUM/RPM.

I checked through both the Arca Noae Package Manager and YUM/RPM, and both indicate that the OpenSSL is at the most current level (1.0.0 R1 in Arca Noae PM, 1.0.0r-1.oc00.i386 in yum/rpm)

| Usually there is a configure option or the build script will find the libs if installed in \usr.

Haven't checked that - will have to look and let you know (if I know what to look for, not being a programmer)

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:43:37 am »
Sorry, I probably mis-understood and thought you were building SMTube. Often configure scripts are run at the beginning of a build to set things up for the individual environment.
sh configure --help will give the options that the configure script can take.
BTW, the Arca Noae Package Manager is just a front end to YUM/RPM

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:27:59 pm »
Morning Dave!

| Sorry, I probably mis-understood and thought you were building SMTube.

No problem - what I was mentioning on the SMPlayer site was an error ticket that some users had opened some time ago related to a very similar topic in the SMTube "15" builds, and the remedies they suggested for the end user

https://sourceforge.net/p/smplayer/bugs/717/

I don't know if its the same ticket item reoccurring in the "16" builds here, or something else altogether. There doesn't seem to be a lot of guidance for the end user in the ticket linked above, other than what I stated. But having used OS/2 / eCS for going on 25 years, I've become rather good at troubleshooting, if I know where to start to look ................

| BTW, the Arca Noae Package Manager is just a front end to YUM/RPM

Actually I was aware of that - I was having some problems originally with YUM, pre- ANPM, and with Martin's and Doug's advice got it going perfectly on two partitions each on two machines (being working systems, I always like to have a fallback if one OS partition is having problems).

The problem that time was the transition from Python 2.6.x to Python 2.7.x during a YUM update - some CMD files for the bootstrap were pointing to the old runtime files in Python 2.6 and there were some problems with the library structure (now fixed at least here).

I only installed installed the ANPM a couple of weeks ago, to test with the advent of Blue Lion in the works - working flawlessly on 3 of 4 partitions, so can access YUM either way, if needed - for some reason the ANPM on the other partition can't seem to connect (but I will solve that when I get a chance as the YUM/RPM bootstrap set-up on that partition still works perfectly)

Thats why I was wondering about DLL's or other files in the UNIX type file structure, causing the problem in SMTube - whether a DLL or file was missing or misplaced in the structure, and also why I was wondering if anyone else using the OS/2/eCS version of SMTube had encountered this.

Other than the connect to YouTube problem, the SMTube installation seems to be functioning as designed as far as I can see - I prefer SMPlayer to VLC/2, as I was having hard lock-up problems with VLC/2 after running a video, most times requiring a reboot. Have not had that problem here with SMPlayer (and Mplayer of course )

Best!

Mark

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:11:31 am »
Hi Al!!

I finally had some additional time to test various items in the last two months, including getting SMPlayer 16.4.0 to run.

As that was highly successful I installed SMTube 16.3.0, to test access to the SMPlayer YouTube browser, and ran into a snag there.

Opening, it shows a TonVid.com window, with various avaiable Popular videos - you can also search for others.

However, clicking on any of the videos, it looks like they attempt to connect in SMPlayer and I get a "Unable to retrieve the YouTube Page"

Reading on the SMPlayer site, this seems to have been an on again off again problem with SMTube through various versions - some people have had success solving the problem supposedly installing some OpenSSL libraries while others have suggested installing Microsoft Visual Studio runtime DLL's. In one case installing a new unstable developmental version solved the problem.

With that in mind, has anyone else run into this problem  on SMTube on OS2/eCS, especially this version? Does it look as if I'm missing some additional DLL's that may need to be installed? I didn't see anything mentioned in Silvan's Read Me that came with the package.

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen in advance and Best!

Mark

New smplayer and new smtube is available at the usual place. With those Youtube should work.
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 01:10:35 am »
As usual, Sylvan. thanks!

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 11:09:37 pm »
Thanks for the Updates, Silvan!

I tested them (SMPLAYER 16.8.0 and SMTUBE 16.7.2 both), and they did help with a choppiness using YouTube and SMTube.

Related to to the original problem, after testing on our long weekend here, I found that I could use the previous SMTube (16.3.0) successfully on the other partitions I have installed (all eCS 2.2 Beta) - the only one that was having problems with was the partition I use the most (an installation of eCS 2.1).

After the discussions with Dave Yeo above, I did some fiddling with the installation of OpenSSL on the eCS 2.1 partition - it had  1.0.0r-1 installed. Backleveling to 1.0.0n-1with ANPM made no difference - same problem.

I used one of the partitions which I was still getting up to speed, and had OpenSSL 1.0.0a-5 installed, and which SMTube worked on, and upleveled it to 1.0.0n-1 with ANPM, and SMTube 16.3.0 still worked, although the audio was choppy with both levels of OpenSSL (choppiness seems to be fixed with 16.7.2). I upleveled again on that partition to 1.0.0r-1, and again SMTube continued to work.

So I don't think the problem  on the eCS v2.1 partition is related to the eCS / OS2 OpenSSL installation.

Silvan, I know you do the builds based on the SMPlayer and SMTube sources - do you know why in the past the "Unable to Retrieve the YouTube Page" problem occurred in the past, on other platforms? Having SMTube working on my other partitions on two machines means I have it available anyway, but I'm interested in solving problems, when I have time - any idea as to what could have changed, as this problem seems to have occurred before, with other SMTube builds, based on reading tickets #645 and #717 on https://sourceforge.net/p/smplayer/bugs/

Just curious and Best, Sir!

Mark