Author Topic: Open Watcom libraries  (Read 7977 times)

arr531

Open Watcom libraries
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:17:33 am »
Hi all, I wonder if someone could point me to some info on how to compile the clib source. I have open watcom 1.9 for OS/2 and I have downloaded the source and modified some of the time function code but I have never done a compile on the clib stuff. Could I just simply recompile the time function code or does all the libraries have to be compiled at once? Is this info buried somewhere in the help file? I will continue to browse it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Open Watcom libraries
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:05:57 pm »
Hi Adam

I have zero idea about this, but can you please specify where (URL) are you getting the source code of clib to have more information about it.

Also, maybe if you specify why are the reassons to compile clib (like for what is required to change the time functions code in your case, or if it just an experiment, or if it just because you want to learn how to compile it ) someone can give you some idea or a workarround.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »
In theory, assuming there is a makefile in that directory, you may be able to just invoke wmake though you may have to set up the environment.
In practice, OpenWatcom hasn't had much love for a while and you'll probably have to build the whole source and then be able to just build in the directory where you modified stuff.
Really you should start out by building the head of trunk as Steven has added some OS/2 specific fixes, IIRC related to using high memory. Its always built fine for me by following the directions. Never did try to build from a subdirectory.

arr531

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:05:48 pm »
Hi guys, I am modifying the time and localtime functions. Trying to squash some bugs I noticed when I used the functions along with strftime in some test programs I compiled. I will check for the make file but I don't recall seeing one. I will check again.  This is where I found the source for 1.9:
ftp://ftp.openwatcom.org/pub/source/

I will let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:49:45 am »
Hi guys, I am modifying the time and localtime functions. Trying to squash some bugs I noticed when I used the functions along with strftime in some test programs I compiled. I will check for the make file but I don't recall seeing one. I will check again.  This is where I found the source for 1.9:
ftp://ftp.openwatcom.org/pub/source/

I will let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks
That is the release source, which is years old. The mailing list and website for OpenWatcom are down but you should be able to access the trunk here:

http://perforce.openwatcom.org:4000/@md=d&cd=//&c=Ihi@//?ac=82

Although many of us are actually using this fork:
https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2

arr531

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 01:30:13 pm »
Oh I realize that. I tried v2 fork but the ide kept crashing on me so that is why I went back to 1.9. The ide from 1.9 doesn't give me any issues. I will check out the links.

That is stuff I have already looked at following the links from the open watcom website. I will stick with 1.9. It doesn't give me any issues.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:34:41 pm by adam »

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »
Although many of us are actually using this fork:
https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2
A few people have reported problems with this. AFAIK Jiri did a lot of work to extend C++ compatibility but this all lacks proper testing and debugging. So OS/2 programmer I know stick with the official 1.9 for good reasons.

Frank regularly builds whole package from the perforce repository and runs the regression tests. Unfortunately the openwatcom news server is down since a while. But I can look for the link if needed.

arr531

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:49:35 pm »
Oh and the v2 installer actually didn't create program objects for any of the tools. I just ended up with an empty folder on the desktop as well . Never had any issues with installing the 1.9 version. So far nothing has went poof on me with 1.9. I think I will stick with it for now.

Adam