Author Topic: Two Programs with the Same File Association  (Read 6534 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Two Programs with the Same File Association
« on: September 09, 2016, 02:44:20 pm »
Hi

This question may be basic but I forgot how to do it.
I have two programs that can open icon files, PMView and Icon Editor.

When you doble click the file it opens PMView by default.
How do I change it to open Icon Editor by default? Is there a way to do it without removing the PMView ICO association?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Two Programs with the Same File Association
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:27:03 pm »
You can use
assoedit.wpi

Saludos

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 05:42:56 pm »
Hi

Thanks Roberto, I just tried with AssoEdit and it worked.

If somebody knows any other way (maybe without a third party software) to do it please let me know to document it on the wiki too.

I also wrote it down on the wiki to don't forget it on the future:
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/File_Extensions_Association

Regards
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:01:06 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »
I don't recall the specifics as assoedit is just easier but you can right click, properties, Menu and you can add/remove/set default in there.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 07:02:53 pm »
If you've activated xwps Turbo folder setting then it's in XWorkplace - Workplace Shell - first notebook page. There are the filters and associations. 

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 04:35:55 pm »
Thanks Andi

I complete forget about it and didn't know that Turbo folder was the thing that needed to be enable.
Some months ago I was breaking my head thinking where was that "File Types" tab that I did saw on the past.

I also documented it since I may forget it on the future :)

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 09:16:10 pm »
Hi

This question may be basic but I forgot how to do it.
I have two programs that can open icon files, PMView and Icon Editor.

When you doble click the file it opens PMView by default.
How do I change it to open Icon Editor by default? Is there a way to do it without removing the PMView ICO association?

Regards

There are a number of things that affect this. First, the easy way to select a program that is not default, is to RMB on the file icon, then, if there is one, or more, associations, there will be a list when you click on the small arrow beside Open As. Pick the program that you want to use. The default (if any) will have a mark beside it (sometimes, there is no mark, but you can select from the program list).

You can change the default by going to Properties-> Menu, and play with that stuff, but I think it only affects the file that you are working with, and that can become very confusing if you forget what you did, and that file does something different than what other files do.

To globally change the order, you need to remove, and/or add, associations in the program icon properties.The last one that you set will be last in the list of the file menu, and the rest move up until they are at the top, and they are set as default (unless some other method is used to change the default action - I haven't figured out how that is done).

Okay, now switch to Turbo folders, and the whole thing changes. I played with that for a few hours, a few months ago, but I could find no way to change the default program selection (and it seems that it is always wrong  :-[ ). That could be an operator fault, but I did try everything that looked like it might work. It didn't so I turned off Turbo folders, and haven't got back to it, yet.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:58:09 am »
I also documented it since I may forget it on the future :)
Hope you remember where you documented it next time ;-) I'm pretty sure it is in xwp help files and it is definitely displayed when you hover over it in the xwp settings notebook. But I had to search for it too.

kay, now switch to Turbo folders, and the whole thing changes. I played with that for a few hours, a few months ago, but I could find no way to change the default program selection (and it seems that it is always wrong  :-[ ). That could be an operator fault, but I did try everything that looked like it might work. It didn't so I turned off Turbo folders, and haven't got back to it, yet.
I made the same experience a few times within the last decade and so had Turbo Folders switch off all the time since a few months. There were a problem with wps-wizard (which does not work very good on my smp machine anyway) also which let me not switch on Turbo folders.

But now I've enabled it. Bad thing is, you have to set up you current associations again in xwp notebook. Although you can import it, I think you have to do it for every single association. Once you have set up your associations in xwp notebook it works fine. But I must admit at the beginning I did not find it intuitive too. Fortunately xwp help is very good ;-)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 03:23:41 pm »
To globally change the order, you need to remove, and/or add, associations in the program icon properties.The last one that you set will be last in the list of the file menu, and the rest move up until they are at the top, and they are set as default (unless some other method is used to change the default action - I haven't figured out how that is done).

Thanks I will try that too.

Okay, now switch to Turbo folders, and the whole thing changes. I played with that for a few hours, a few months ago, but I could find no way to change the default program selection (and it seems that it is always wrong  :-[ ). That could be an operator fault, but I did try everything that looked like it might work. It didn't so I turned off Turbo folders, and haven't got back to it, yet.

To set the default program that open the files on Turbo Folders, you can drag and drop the order on the "Associations" area of the "Workplace Shell - File Types" control panel.
It is not intuitive but it worked for me.
Here it is the pic where I set QEdit as default: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/File:XWorkplace-WrokplaceShell-FileTypes.png

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Oxyd

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 02:32:23 am »
For change default program for one file: Right click on file -> Open as -> Shift + Right click on needed program name. Enjoy!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 04:19:04 am »
Thanks Vadim.

I just added that technique on the Wiki page.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster