Author Topic: OS/2 Warp Motherboard - CNC machine  (Read 15015 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Warp Motherboard - CNC machine
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 05:26:05 pm »
Just a WAG, but older versions of OS/2 (before the last couple of updates to warp 3, as I recall) require a BIOS setting to be set ON. It is something about using OS/2, if it exists.. Newer versions of OS/2 need that setting to be OFF. If the setting is not there, don't worry about it.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 06:20:10 pm »
Just a WAG, but older versions of OS/2 (before the last couple of updates to warp 3, as I recall) require a BIOS setting to be set ON. It is something about using OS/2, if it exists.. Newer versions of OS/2 need that setting to be OFF. If the setting is not there, don't worry about it.

The OS/2 setting in BIOS is for OS/2 16 bit only, e.g. it should OFF for anything but OS/2 1.x.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:22:03 pm by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
Re: OS/2 Warp Motherboard
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 06:25:42 pm »
Hm, that PC board looks like an old IBM ValuePoint motherboard with a 486DX66, 75, or DX4-100
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »
That looks like an old IBM Valuepoint 486 motherboard. The extra power connector is for the PCI daughter board.
Takes a standard 3v lithium button battery. It's not unusual to buy some to then find out they are flat to start with.
If you manage to get past the date/time problem you might need to go into CMOS and try different harddisk settings.

It would also be an idea to use a brush (while the unit is earthed but off) to clean a lot of that black stuff off the SIMM's and motherboard. A blower (not industrial!) would be good  to remove the lose black stuff after its had a brushing (3-4cm wide paint brush).
Also reseat the SIMM's and CPU if you haven't.

edited for grammer
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:49:16 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 07:26:45 pm »
One other thing now I look at a downloaded copy of the motherboard photo.

It looks like some liquid ingress on the side where those dip switches are.
Write down the current dipswitch positions, then flip them a few times to help clean the contacts.
You could also try spraying some deoxit into the switchs before toggling them a few times then
give it some time for the deoxit residue to dry and see what happens.

Depends on how much time you want to spend in it..
I have fixed strange problems with old boards by giving them a good rinse and clean, then allow a couple of days for the MB to dry in warm weather. Also measure the power supply outputs, even try using a replacement supply with AT power connectors to see if that boots. Always use a soft brush to clean boards, preferably at a static safe workbench.
Hint, when you think the board is dry, use an air blower to check that no water comes out from under the surface mount chips.
Cheers
Ian B Manners