Author Topic: Thinkpad T540p and eCS  (Read 12349 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Thinkpad T540p and eCS
« on: September 26, 2016, 04:22:56 am »
I'm still struggling to get this to boot. An earlier thread shows success with an Thinkpad X250, so I thought I might ask for help to get the T540p running.

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,948.0.html

I've cloned my X200 system disk, and while it starts to boot in the T540p, it gets hung up while displaying the boot logo.

I tried booting from both the eCS 2.2 b2 Dec 30 installation disk and from my own boot DVD using later drivers. Both seem to hang. eCS 2.2 b2 hangs on OS2LVM.DMD.

At this point, I can move the disk back to X200 and modify, then try again. What might I change to get this working?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Re: Thinkpad T540p and eCS
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:01:19 am »

try change settings in BIOS setup,
* Security Boot = disable
* UEFI = disable, activate Legacy
* USB =  use USB 3.0 as USB 2.0

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:47:30 pm »

try change settings in BIOS setup,
* Security Boot = disable
* UEFI = disable, activate Legacy
* USB =  use USB 3.0 as USB 2.0

Hmmm I don't think this is a UEFI issue or a USB setup issue at its hanging on the OS2LVM.DMD.
Since with UEFI or safe boot switched on INT 13 is gone (not compatibility support).

What version of the OS2AHCI driver are you loading 1.32 (just be certain).
The fact its hanging on OS2LVM.DMD could indicated something rare in the partition layout that OS2LVM hangs on.
But this is rare!!!
The other issue could be an issue reading the disc duo something not going oke with the OS2AHCI driver.
But its all speculation. A reading meaning OS2LVM.DMD can not read the disc via the OS2AHCI.ADD driver.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:16:06 am »
Hi

I recently had a similar problem where the LVM info had gone missing. I fixed the problem with DFSee - and Jans help.

What did you prepare the hard drive with?

There seem to be 2 versions of os2ahci.add - the build included with eCS2.2beta2 and the build available via an Arca Noae subscription. My system works fine with the eCS build but not with the Arca Noae build; other people find the opposite so you may want to test both builds.

I have also found some drivers do not work properly with older ACPI builds under some conditions - especially if the allocated IRQ is out of range. The cure seems to be to add /VW to the acpi line.

Regards

Pete

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 06:48:41 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. As I continue to work on this, I found that with the hard disk I formatted under eCS 2.2 b2 installed, and using ACPI /WV, the CD-ROM boot now hangs on "Installed OS2LVM.DMD".

This is different. I expect the boot process has completed loading base devices and is on to its next task.

The BIOS is as Eugene suggested.

Keep those suggestions coming in. Thanks!!!

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 07:41:45 pm »
Not sure if this is true in your case. However on my X250 I had to correct the geometry of the partitions using DFSee before I got the system running. You might check the messages from DFSee (even under Windows running) to find out if there are adjustments to the geometry recommended.

Greetings from Potsdam,
Germany
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 07:44:02 pm by Mike Kölling »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 05:34:06 pm »
I have tried another hard drive. Basically the same result. DFSee does not report any Geometry issues. The disk boots fine on the X200, but stops short of displaying the PSD lines at boot time.

An issue has been raised at Arca Noae. https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=545

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Thinkpad T540 BIOS configuration screens
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 06:38:27 pm »
Thinkpad T540p BIOS configuation screens

I think these are OK, but since I still can't get the machine to boot, I'm posting my BIOS settings.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Thinkpad T540p BIOS security screens
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 06:40:26 pm »
Continuing with the security screens.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:41 pm »
This looks very similar to my L530. Your settings are not what I am using, but your's should work (you should try turning off the AMT support, I don't have that feature). DFSEE seemed to think it was okay, but it wasn't. I had a terrible battle with getting the disk geometry to cooperate, until I simply wiped the whole disk, and used MiniLVM to set it up. When I tried to re-install win 7, it wouldn't do it, until I put it back the way it was when it came from Lenovo. DFSEE did not give me a valid geometry.

What I ended up doing, was install win 7, downgrade to win 10 (to get it registered as having win 10), then I did the setup with MiniLVM again, and installed win 10 in the assigned partition (clean install from a DVD boot, making sure that windows did not try to set up the disk). That was okay, and it registered okay. Then, i put my eCS configuration back, using  zipped backups. Now, it is working properly, and LVM no longer complains. DFSEE is also happy.

I require the QSINIT loader (or OS/4 loader) to be able to use the full memory that eCS is capable of using (it is 512 meg without it). The QSINIT RAMDISK uses some of the rest of the installed memory.

I will note that I was able to get eCS installed, before I changed the geometry, but LVM always complained about an invalid partition table. I think it worked because I accidentally hit a setup that just happened to work.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 12:55:50 am »
I do not know if this may be your case, but today I tried to install the system in another partition from the beginning with the cd ecs22b2, and after 4 attempts have been impossible. I formatted in all possible ways zero errors, I checked the cd and everything ok.
The funny thing is that in this computer installed from CD without problems ecs22b2, and works very well.
The difference between before and now, I made the first installation on a hard disk of about 250GB., And then made a backup, and then replace the disk with a 1TB, restoring the system. Work perfect , but now can not install in 30gb partition 1TB.
It may be by the position of the partition on the disk, out off range?

Saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 07:16:32 am »
The difference between before and now, I made the first installation on a hard disk of about 250GB., And then made a backup, and then replace the disk with a 1TB, restoring the system. Work perfect , but now can not install in 30gb partition 1TB.
It may be by the position of the partition on the disk, out off range?

Did you wipe the disk (use DFSEE to clear the first 30 cylinders - there is a menu item), then use MinILVM to create all of the partitions? If not, the disk probably has an invalid geometry, and OS/2 won't be able to use all of it.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 08:14:22 pm »
The laptop is running under ArcaOS. The boot time messages were not accurately showing what was going on. The corrected parts are part of video support, and will be included with ArcaOS when it is released.

Sound does not work with UniAud, which is expected. I have sound working with USB Audio.

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=1336