Author Topic: ECS client Cannot log on to OS/2 domain  (Read 6303 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
ECS client Cannot log on to OS/2 domain
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:07:31 pm »
Previous WSEB server (ECS with file sharing removed and WSeB server stuff added) crashed, after running for years.

Built new machine.
Installed ECS 2.2 beta with R8169 network driver.
Deleted file sharing and installed LAN server 5 (WSeB server stuff)
SERVER0 is the only server and also domain controller

Server starts ok. Netlogon service shows to be active in the Lan Server Administration GUI. I can logon to the domain from the server.
But my ECS client (REQ1)  cannot log on to my domain.

Netbios appears to running OK on the server because I can NET USE W:   \\REQ1\DDRIVE from the server and it works OK (after starting PEER on REQ1)

However I cannot logon to DOMAIN (my domain name) from the requester machine REQ1, and I
I cannot NET USE x:   \\server0\cdrive  from  REQ1 (after login on locally). Error message says network path is not found

Second requester, a laptop, also cannot logon to server

Any suggesting?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: ECS client Cannot log on to OS/2 domain
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:55 pm »
[quoteInstalled ECS 2.2 beta with R8169 network driver.][/quote]

That driver works with a very limited number of older Realtek NICs. You probably need the newest MMRE driver from Arca Noae to have any chance of making it work properly. https://www.arcanoae.com/about/

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:47:06 am »
Thanks Douglas for the advice.

The problem indeed appears to be the NIC driver.

I disabled the on-board NIC and installed an Intel 1000 PCI card and "Intel Pro/1000 Network Connection" driver and it now works fine.

The interesting thing is I tried installing the latest R8169 driver from Arca Noae and the system crashed on reboot. When I replaced the R8169.OS2 with the one from my client the system booted OK and appeared to work ok, except for not allowing logons to the domain.

The strange thing is I can now log on to the domain (with the Intel card in the server) using a client machine with the R8169 driver, but the server will not accept domain logons with the same R8169 driver. (my client and server machines have the same motherboards: Asus M5A 78L-M USB3)

Thanks again for your response.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:17:17 am »
The interesting thing is I tried installing the latest R8169 driver from Arca Noae and the system crashed on reboot. When I replaced the R8169.OS2 with the one from my client the system booted OK and appeared to work ok, except for not allowing logons to the domain.

The R8169 driver is not the driver that will work. You need to use the MMRE driver.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:56:56 pm »
You are correct. The MMRE driver works. I guess I somehow got the wrong driver hooked up.

Thanks again