Author Topic: Any questions for Warpstock 2016 ??  (Read 24138 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Any questions for Warpstock 2016 ??
« on: October 09, 2016, 12:13:10 am »
Hi

I'm going to Warpstock 2016, I had complete the goal to assist and I will do my best to live video stream the event.

So, based on the tentative agenda, are there any questions you want me to present to the speakers?

Regards
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:16:31 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
Re: Any questions for Warpstock 2016 ??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:38 pm »
"When".

RickCHodgin

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 05:44:49 pm »
Hi

I'm going to Warpstock 2016, I had complete the goal to assist and I will do my best to live video stream the event.

So, based on the tentative agenda, are there any questions you want me to present to the speakers?

Regards

Wish I could go.  No vacation time left.

I'm curious if any of the OS/2 kernel or C/C++ developers in general there would be open to the idea of helping me with the kernel and replacement programs so that we can provide a free OS/2 kernel through my ES/2 effort?

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:54:18 pm »
Hi

This are the question that had been sent to me for the moment:

1) A user is  interested in "uncrippled" odbc (dbase) drivers that will work with both VX-Rexx and VisPro Rexx. He had been using DBExpert but needs something more current since its GUI controls are heavily outdated.

2) Is there any roadmap for ArcaOS to support more hardware components.

3) There is a need to have current laptops supported with OS/2, since some users have it running on old Thinkpad laptops. Is there going to be some specific Wifi, USB , Video chipsets that are going to be listed as ArcaOS compliant?

4) Is ArcaOS going to ship with modern Intel Wifi drivers ?

This is what I have for the moment.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:08:23 am »
Martin,
Plug and play with sticks regardless size without special OS/2 treatment. In other words use a stick with windows settings and plug it in an OS/2 machine without LVM treatment.
USB 3 (for speeding up backup)
Full USB implementation for add ons
More support for modern motherboards
Support 4Gb mem pro kernel, not 4Gb total
A perfectly working RPM, still too many misses.

Java 8?
What are they going to do with the office package?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:31:30 am »
@joop, Lars has USB drives working pretty good now, no special settings needed. Of course only for FAT32 formatted drives.  Unluckily larger drives are now exFAT, which can be another question, "will we ever get exFAT support?"
As for RPM, I don't think it even works very well on Linux.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:57:59 pm »
Hi

Regards

Question for Yuri Dario:
Any plans to update Recoll?
http://web.os2power.com/yuri/Recoll

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 12:47:49 am »
Is there any interest in updating USBAUDIO.SYS ? Right now I updated volume control so that master volume and application specific volume setting will both work. It's enough to have volume control (via master volume control) when playing audio CDs or playing system sound (via master volume control and application volume control via the specific system volume setting).
But there still is enough other stuff to do.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:50:02 am by Lars »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:36:20 am »
Hi Martin

Presuming CUPS for OS/2 will be included in the upcoming(??) ArcaOS release you could ask if Arca Noae will be approaching Printer manufacturers with a view to getting those manufacturers to either supply OS/2 versions of needed "plugins" or supply the source code required in order to port those "plugins".

Brief explanation: I have a Canon MG7550 which is not supported by CUPS for OS/2. The model it replaces is the MG7150 which is badly supported by CUPS for OS/2. Using the MG7150 ppd file I can print on A4 paper; I cannot print on photopaper or any other size paper as the code necessary to access the 2nd paper tray with non-A4 paper either does not exist or does not work.

CUPS/Gutenprint will not be updated to support either of the above printers. Why? - Because Canon supply a CUPS addon driver package to support the printers so there is no need to support the printers with the standard CUPS/Gutenprint packages.

The Canon CUPS drivers source code is freely available - except for the precompiled files that make them work.

The above - or similar - problem exists for a lot of current printers. It seems that HP are about the best supported printer using the hplip package ported for use with CUPS for OS/2 but some of the HP printers also need a "plugin" to get them to work with CUPS. Sadly HP do not produce a printer capable of printing directly onto printable CD/DVD discs which is a requirement for any printer I purchase.

So, at the moment, we are at about the same stage as we were before CUPS was ported to OS/2 - support for printers is patchy with a good chance that your preferred printer will either not work properly or not work at all.

I did try approaching Canon to try to get the necessary "plugin" source code released without success. There is more of a chance of Arca Noae being able to get the source code than a private individual - possibly a non disclosure agreement.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 05:46:35 am »
In theory it may also be possible to have an ELF loader to load the Linux CUPS plugins. This is how XFree/2 loaded Linux graphic drivers and that code is available. How hard it would be, I don't know. And as usual there is the shortage of talented developers.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 02:32:49 pm »
 @Lars: does the USBAUDIO.SYS support USB microphones? My USB webcam has one built in - would be a step closer to having some kind of streaming video/sound capability using USB devices.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 09:36:11 pm »
Hi All

Sorry, my previous post was a little misleading.

While some Epson and HP printers require a "plugin" some of the Canon source files need to be linked against some Canon pre-compiled libraries during compilation.

Checking the main.c file for the tocanonij application - possibly used to convert something to a format Canon inkjet printers understand - I see the following in the comments at the top of the file:-

* NOTE:
 *  - As a special exception, this program is permissible to link with the
 *    libraries released as the binary modules.

The required library is defined in the code:-

#define CN_CNCL_LIBNAME "libcnbpcnclapicom2.so"

The other required pre-compiled library file is libcnnet2.so.1.2.3 - without hunting through many source code files I have no idea what it actually does although the name is suggestive of being related to network connectivity.

Having "sweet talked" Paul into porting the Canon driver package I can tell you that they definitely do not work without the necessary pre-compiled libraries being available  :-(

While Daves idea of using an ELF loader for loading linux "plugins" may work it would not help with Canon printer drivers.

Regards

Pete

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 01:02:26 am »
@Lars: does the USBAUDIO.SYS support USB microphones? My USB webcam has one built in - would be a step closer to having some kind of streaming video/sound capability using USB devices.

Let me put it this way: it should already. If it does not for your case then there is room for improvement. It depends on the sample rate. USB devices only have have a reduced number of sample rates they support. Normally they are smart enough to support 44.1 kHz (CD-ROM sample rate) and/or 48 kHz (the sample rate for professional equipment). Everything else would need to be supported by sample rate conversion in SW.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 02:55:19 am »
Hi Joop.

I didn't understood what do you mean with "Full USB implementation for add ons".
Can you please explain me a little bit the question.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 05:03:44 am »
Hi.

Here it is the consolidation of questions by session:

Session 4: Arca Noae News
1) Is there any roadmap for ArcaOS to support more hardware components.
2) There is a need to have current laptops supported with OS/2, since some users have it running on old Thinkpad laptops. Is there going to be some specific Wifi, USB , Video chipsets that are going to be listed as ArcaOS compliant?

Session 5: Arca Noae Device Drivers: Recent Progress and Future Plans

1) Plug and play with sticks regardless size without special OS/2 treatment. In other words use a stick with windows settings and plug it in an OS/2 machine without LVM treatment.
2) USB 3 (for speeding up backup)
3) Is there any play to support exFAT format?"
4) More support for modern motherboards
5) Support 4Gb mem pro kernel, not 4Gb total
6) A perfectly working RPM, still too many misses.
7) There was a project to make it easy to port BSD drivers to OS/2, was there any progress about it?
8) What is the progress of the video driver? Is there any interesting news about it?

Session 11: Blue Lion demonstration
1) A user is  interested in "uncrippled" odbc (dbase) drivers that will work with both VX-Rexx and VisPro Rexx. He had been using DBExpert but needs something more current since its GUI controls are heavily outdated.
2) Is ArcaOS going to ship with modern Intel Wifi drivers ?
3) CUPS:  Will Arca Noae be approaching Printer manufacturers CUPS "plugins". For example  the Canon MG7550 printer is not supported by CUPS for OS/2 and there special functions of the printer that does not work on CUPS for OS/2. The Canon CUPS drivers source code is freely available, but there is no OS/2 version.  (this is what I understood as a quick summary of the question)
4) When is there going to be more information about ArcaOS (Blue Lion) available like release dates, price, Software componts included, etc.
5) Is there any chance to re-release old OS/2 software and get agreements to get that software for a price. For example StarDock software.

Session 12: Yuri Dario, TBA
1) Any plans to update Recoll?

Session 14: BitWise: company profile, products and progress
1) Is there any plan for Java 8?
2) What are they going to do with the office package? This is because OpenOffice loose a lot of momentum and there was (theoretical) discussion inside the community about the steps to archive the project. LibreOffice seems to continue developing the open source office suite.
3) Is there any plan for Qt 5 to be ported?

I'm guessing that some of this question may also be answered on the presentations.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster