Author Topic: Updated hpaio.dll for HP Scanners **USB scanners now supported**  (Read 20952 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Hi All,

As a result of my port of libusb-1.0 to OS/2, I have now managed to scan using USB with a HP Photosmart 7510 multi-function device.

An experimental build of hpaio.dll is now available from http://smedley.id.au/tmp/hpaio-3.13.3-os2-20130517.zip

I can successfully scan using both the network and usb connections.

Please read the readme.os2 for details on how to configure this.

Cheers,

Paul

gamba

Re: Updated hpaio.dll for HP Scanners **USB scanners now supported**
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:01:48 pm »
Hi Paul,

C:\sane>hp-mkuri -b 1 -d 3
hp:/usb/Photosmart_C4100_series?serial=MY759J14HV04J7
hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_C4100_series?serial=MY759J14HV04J7

(it's an old Photosmart C4180 AllInOne). Tested a couple of colour scans and works fine, thanks a lot!!!
Can someone suggest me a good frontend for scanimage? Is Tame still a good option or something QT-based appeared in the meantime?

By the way (and knowing that I'm going against the flow): root directory is becoming a bit crowded with \cups, \gs, \gutenprint and now \hplib and \sane around, would be great being able to install CUPS and Sane with RPM :-)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:20:48 pm »
By the way (and knowing that I'm going against the flow): root directory is becoming a bit crowded with \cups, \gs, \gutenprint and now \hplib and \sane around, would be great being able to install CUPS and Sane with RPM :-)
I have to ask, which root directory, not the operating system partition I hope because if it is you are making a rod for your back should you ever need to reformat and reinstall the operating system.

gamba

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:36:28 pm »
Usually I just have two partitions, one for OS and programs, the other for personal data. Any time I have to reinstall the OS, I copy all the content of the OS partition to the data partition, then, after installation, I copy needed directories back to their original position and delete unneeded stuff.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:00:17 pm »
Usually I just have two partitions, one for OS and programs, the other for personal data. Any time I have to reinstall the OS, I copy all the content of the OS partition to the data partition, then, after installation, I copy needed directories back to their original position and delete unneeded stuff.

At least you are one step up from the windows pile everything in together attitude ;)

Here all our computers have at least three partitions, OS, programs, data.  That way I have an image of the OS partition that I can restore at any time - we do have ways of backing up the OS/2 desktops every weekend with the full backup of the data partition.  In a worst case situation all that would be lost is a weeks worth of changes to the desktop.  All the programs we use are backed up on one of the NAS with their INI entries if necessary.  With this setup I have replaced a dead hard disk and had the workstation back in operation with the same settings and programs in less than an hour, but then in business time is money  :D

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:09:52 pm »
HI Gabriele,

C:\sane>hp-mkuri -b 1 -d 3
hp:/usb/Photosmart_C4100_series?serial=MY759J14HV04J7
hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_C4100_series?serial=MY759J14HV04J7

(it's an old Photosmart C4180 AllInOne). Tested a couple of colour scans and works fine, thanks a lot!!!
Can someone suggest me a good frontend for scanimage? Is Tame still a good option or something QT-based appeared in the meantime?

Per the readme, hplip doesn't need to be in root.  Edit %ETC%\hplip.conf and move it wherever you like. Likewise, I'm certain /sane doesn't need to be in root.

For printing to your C4100, are you using hplip or gutenprint? I'll try get the hplip printing backend from 3.13.3 put together over the weekend - then you could remove /gutenprint too.

For frontends, I think Tame is still the best bet, although you'll need an updated scanner.dat. I'm not aware of any Qt Sane frontends.

Thanks for testing!

Paul

gamba

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:41:22 pm »
Hi Paul,

I'll try updating the SANE installation in Tame and moving HPLIP in another place. For scanner.dat,  I've seen there is a paragraph in the manual about updating it. I guess that the email address listed there (staedtler-przyborski@etc) is outdated... may I send you the required information for the update?

For printing: I'm not printing to the C4100 :-) I inherited it and just use it as a scanner, ink cartridges are empty since ages :-)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:50:16 pm by Gabriele »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 11:32:50 pm »
Yes, send me the output of scanimage -help -d hpaio://....... and I've have a crack at updating scanner.dat

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 08:43:10 am »
FWIW I just tested with a HP Deskjet 2050 and scanning works via USB with this device too.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 11:41:25 am »
OK this is released now at http://os2ports.smedley.id.au - thanks to Gabriele for testing

Davorin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 03:30:26 pm »
I use Canon LiDE 110 and Tame for scanning.
Black and white scanning works fine, but greyscale and colour mode cause a problem - white areas turn grey.
Is it possible to update scanner.dat for it?
Davorin

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:45:29 pm »
My neighbor gave me an old HP Photosmart D110a printer/scanner. I have discovered that this thing has a different way to support scanning. Other HP printers may do the same thing.

I have the printer attached using wireless (this may be necessary for this to work), at address 192.168.0.106. If I use Firefox to go to http://HTTP://192.168/0/106 it opens a web page. One of the options, is to use WebScan (under the Scan tab). Just set the appropriate settings, and click the Start Scan button. The printer will scan, and fill in the preview box. Once that is done, RMB on the preview box, and select Save Image As... The image will be saved.

Pete2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 03:24:04 pm »
I have a dekjet 2510 all-in-one; CUPS is now working for this (cups 2.0.3 + cups filters 1.0.71+ hplip 3.15.11)
 hp-mkuri -b 1 -d 1 produces
hp:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX
hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX

Nothing seems to happen in response to
scanimage -d hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX >output.pnm
Has to be killed with ctrl-C.

Output of scanimage -v -d hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX 1>output.pnm 2>debugoutput.txt is
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hpaio to 255.
[hpaio] sane_hpaio_init(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 294
[hpaio] sane_hpaio_open(/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX): scan/sane/hpaio.c 328 scan_type=7 scansrc=1

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Pete

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:38:55 am »
Hi Pete,

I have a dekjet 2510 all-in-one; CUPS is now working for this (cups 2.0.3 + cups filters 1.0.71+ hplip 3.15.11)
 hp-mkuri -b 1 -d 1 produces
hp:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX
hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX

Nothing seems to happen in response to
scanimage -d hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX >output.pnm
Has to be killed with ctrl-C.

Output of scanimage -v -d hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX 1>output.pnm 2>debugoutput.txt is
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hpaio to 255.
[hpaio] sane_hpaio_init(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 294
[hpaio] sane_hpaio_open(/usb/Deskjet_2510_series?serial=CN35P37JHK05QX): scan/sane/hpaio.c 328 scan_type=7 scansrc=1

Which build of hpaio are you using? I think the latest is http://smedley.id.au/tmp/hpaio-3.13.3-os2-20130526.zip

I should update hpaio.dll to the 3.15.11 code level - will try do this soon.

Cheers,

Paul

Pete2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 10:28:44 am »
Hi Paul. I'm using your latest build. I don't know whether there are any compatibility issues with hplip 3.15.11. Changing 3.13.3 to 3.15.11 in hplip.conf doesn't help.