Author Topic: XWP (xWorkplace) v1.0.11 - Xview and WPS folder corruption?  (Read 5529 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
XWP (xWorkplace) v1.0.11 - Xview and WPS folder corruption?
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:26:32 am »
So I've got this strange thing happenning here.

Upgraded to XWP 1.0.11...couldn't wait to use the Xview functionality...love it!....but....eventually the WPS folder functionality dies...meaning, the folders stop being populated, the folder window is made up of the frame and background, at the top the menu bar shows...nothing else shows up.

When this occurs switching between Xview, icon, detail, tree does not help. The impact is system-wide, meaning all other folder operations are impacted by this.

I will log a bug, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen anything like this?

Thanks,
-Dariusz

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: XWP (xWorkplace) v1.0.11 - Xview and WPS folder corruption?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
Do you see any other strange behaviour when this happens, like programs not starting, screen corruption?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:46 pm »
I have seen that problem, for years (I think I logged a problem, that got closed as "not reproducable"). I have no idea what causes it. Sometimes it happens shortly after boot, and sometimes it runs for weeks before it happens. Usually, a WPS restart will "fix" the problem, for a little while, but a reboot is needed to get more than about 30 minutes until it happens again. It definitely has nothing to do with the new XWP, but it could be caused by an old bug in XWP.

Changing "SET SHELLHANDLESINC=" to 90, in CONFIG.SYS, seems to help, but it still happens sometimes (I haven't tried more than 90).

I will note, that I never saw it when I was using the XWP Turbo Folders feature, but that may have been coincidence. I don't use (or like) XView, but that is a personal preference.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:23:10 am »
the folders stop being populated, the folder window is made up of the frame and background,
AFAIR, this is a side effect of the unfinished Turbo Folders feature. I don't have it activated, because it has too many bugs for me. The combined Extended Associations is great and works for me well, before Ulrich had decided to combine that, but stability goes first.
Back to your problem: It seems to me as if you have Turbo Folders activated.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:22:53 am »
It definitely has NOTHING to do with Turbo folders. It happens when Turbo folders is not used.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »
It definitely has NOTHING to do with Turbo folders. It happens when Turbo folders is not used.

Agreed...currently i do NOT have TurboFolders enabled. When I discovered this issue in the latest drop of XWP I did enable TurboFolders to try to narrow this down to a particular combination of features, etc, etc...however, this had no effect.

As Doug mentioned, I also have seen this before. Previously though it occured very rarely (for me)...and when it did the WPS pretty much locked-up and CTL-ALT-DEL was the only workable solution.

This time around the WPS continues to work...the system is still very much 'alive'...however, the WPS filesystem folder functionality ceases to function. Subsequently, since one often works with files that means I pretty much have to do a re-boot as soon as this issue crops up. The frequency of occurence is much greater now, it was pretty rare before.

Also, it is worth noting that not only Xview exhibits this, all other views as well. It does not matter what other folder object I open, they all do open, but they are all blank.