Author Topic: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions  (Read 47203 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions
« on: November 10, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »
Hi.

Please post your first impressions about the VirtualBox 5.0.6 beta port.

Screenshots and any tricks you are using are also welcome.

Remember also that the bugs goes to the SVN ticketing system: http://trac.netlabs.org/vbox/report

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 07:41:01 pm »
Had to move vboxdrv.sys  to x:\OS2\BOOT for it to load.

Pmdll shows virtualbox.exe is missing aio.dll and won't start, where do you get this dll ?

Nevermind on aio.dll use:

Code: [Select]
yum install libaio
How do you set VBOX_USER_HOME ?

And can't get DVD to boot install disk only iso so far (any tips) ?  - Ticket #45 only iso so far.

Greggory
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:48:31 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:08:50 pm »
2Gregory Shaw: Please, Install rpm packages listed at Netlabs VBox project first: http://trac.netlabs.org/vbox/. No need in VBOX_USER_HOME, no such variable needed. And, ISO's should work, as well as physical CD's/DVD's (Indeed, physical harddisk, CD's and floppies are supported. But floppy access is not very stable atm). You need to capture the CD/DVD from VBox menu: Devices->Optrical disks->Drive X:. Though, booting from a CD may not work as this feature is not very stable, yet. Also, you may try Direct Access/Passthrough option in CD properties (Media page in VM properties), maybe, it will help.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:27:27 pm »
2Gregory Shaw: Please, Install rpm packages listed at Netlabs VBox project first: http://trac.netlabs.org/vbox/. No need in VBOX_USER_HOME, no such variable needed.

I was thinking that would move the 'Default Machine Folder', but that option in under File => Preferences => General

And, ISO's should work, as well as physical CD's/DVD's (Indeed, physical harddisk, CD's and floppies are supported. But floppy access is not very stable atm). You need to capture the CD/DVD from VBox menu: Devices->Optrical disks->Drive X:. Though, booting from a CD may not work as this feature is not very stable, yet. Also, you may try Direct Access/Passthrough option in CD properties (Media page in VM properties), maybe, it will help.

Booting from DVD Windows isn't working, but just tested installing Ubuntu-12.04.5 Server from ISO is good so far !

So, what's the message that OS/2 will not work ?

Thx Valery for the info !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:30:17 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 09:31:34 pm »
There seems to be some read errors when reading the boot CD, but checking/unchecking the "Passthrough" checkbox may help, as it switches between different disk access methods, one of which may work better.

what do you mean?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:39:36 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:44:26 pm »
There seems to be some read errors when reading the boot CD, but checking/unchecking the "Passthrough" checkbox may help, as it switches between different disk access methods, one of which may work better.

what do you mean?

Sorry, never mind forgot my CPU does have VT/x acceleration.  I'll check the Passthrough option as soon as Ubuntu is finished installing.

Also, it must have just been the DVD.  I tried both a Bootable Linux CD and Windows DVD, and they both worked !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:09:13 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 10:04:10 pm »
But VT-x/AMD-V is not supported on OS/2 host atm, as some required features are missing from OS/2 kernel. So, still no way to start OS/2 guest on OS/2 host, as it requires hardware virtualization. Though, maybe, software virtualization will be enhanced, but it requires a lot of work.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:11:52 pm »
So, still no way to start OS/2 guest on OS/2 host, as it requires hardware virtualization...

Thank you, I still have VPC/2 so I'm good !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:24:34 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 09:00:10 am »
How is the quality/reliability of the network stuff in this beta? Stable and fast?

Our old VBOX does have some issues. AFAIR no ping/tracerte/... and problems with multicast packets. Also bridged network mode did not work.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 03:05:07 pm »
Hi Andi B. I've been using r-141 for about 2 months now and it is a definite step up from the 1.6.x series-- however it is a beta and has quite a few problems to overcome but valerius is well aware of whats needed and will resolve them in the future, I'm sure. Currently its at r-143.

klipp

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 05:10:16 pm »
2Andi B.: Network is just the same as it was in older version. NAT just works, as previously. But TAPOS2 is broken -- needs to be repaired. Ping/tracerte not working -- yes. But I suspect it is the same as on Windows an Linux hosts.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:23:54 pm »
My first attempt wasn't very successful.

I can get to the first screen. I can define a new guest machine. However, when I try to start that machine (new VDI, and pointing to the real DVD drive, with a WinXP PRO CD) It complains, immediately, and says to check the log. Okay, the log says it failed to find some files, in my old VirtualBox directory (which is just left over from before, the old VBOX was not installed). I have no idea where it is getting that stuff from. I don't think it even gets far enough to think about using the DVD drive.

It also appears that the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable is used in some places, but ignored in others (I HATE using that %HOME% directory). However, that isn't what is causing the problem. I deleted the whole directory from the old VBOX setup, and it still wants to use it. More work to be done there.

2Andi B.: Network is just the same as it was in older version. NAT just works, as previously. But TAPOS2 is broken -- needs to be repaired. Ping/tracerte not working -- yes.

TAP has been badly broken, forever. It worked, with the old VBox but killed machine (host and guest) network performance. NAT worked fine.

But I suspect it is the same as on Windows an Linux hosts.

I don't understand what you mean by this. TAP is not used with windows, or Linux (AFAIK). There is Bridged network support, which works fine (in windows host, at least).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 11:55:44 pm »
Hi

Once I installed the dependencies with ANPM (seems like there is a different package called "SDL" and "sdl" that makes some conflicts), and I set the driver on the config.sys, VirtualBox was working ok here.

I installed a Windows XP image just to try. I need to keep testing it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 02:36:31 am »
2Doug Bissett:

It also appears that the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable is used in some places, but ignored in others (I HATE using that %HOME% directory). However, that isn't what is causing the problem. I deleted the whole directory from the old VBOX setup, and it still wants to use it. More work to be done there.

I don't know what is the VBOX_USER_HOME variable. Never used it. VBox global config is in %HOME%/.config/VirtualBox. Also, older VBox versions used %HOME%/.VirtualBox for that. New VBox can take the older VBox config directory, if it sees it. Also note that the format of XML files has changed, since the old version. And Vbox may convert them to the new format, so then older VBox will not understand them. Virtual machines are located by default in the %HOME%/VirtualBox VMs. Probably, you have left references to old VM dir in global config. You may try to delete the global config, change the path to a VMs dir in it, or change the VM's path in File->Settings->General->Folder for VMs by default.

2Andi B.: Network is just the same as it was in older version. NAT just works, as previously. But TAPOS2 is broken -- needs to be repaired. Ping/tracerte not working -- yes.

TAP has been badly broken, forever. It worked, with the old VBox but killed machine (host and guest) network performance. NAT worked fine.

As I tried TAP in older VBox, it just worked. Never tested its performance, but yes, people said it was very bad. But now it does not work at all.

But I suspect it is the same as on Windows an Linux hosts.

I don't understand what you mean by this. TAP is not used with windows, or Linux (AFAIK). There is Bridged network support, which works fine (in windows host, at least).

I mean that ping/tracerte doesn't work as it is in windows or linux. I did not changed anythying specifically for OS/2 host to break it, compared to Linux/Windows. Network code is the same.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:39:11 am by Valery Sedletski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 02:49:56 am »
2Martin: "sdl" is older incorrect package. Please, remove it. The correct and newer package name is "SDL".