Author Topic: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions  (Read 47197 times)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 03:01:51 am »
PS: Searched for "VBOX_USER_HOME" string in sources, it looks that it is used only to override the %HOME%/.config/VirtualBox, not the VM's directory.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:25:58 am by Valery Sedletski »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 04:46:20 am »
2Doug Bissett:

It also appears that the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable is used in some places, but ignored in others (I HATE using that %HOME% directory). However, that isn't what is causing the problem. I deleted the whole directory from the old VBOX setup, and it still wants to use it. More work to be done there.

I don't know what is the VBOX_USER_HOME variable. Never used it. VBox global config is in %HOME%/.config/VirtualBox. Also, older VBox versions used %HOME%/.VirtualBox for that. New VBox can take the older VBox config directory, if it sees it. Also note that the format of XML files has changed, since the old version. And Vbox may convert them to the new format, so then older VBox will not understand them. Virtual machines are located by default in the %HOME%/VirtualBox VMs. Probably, you have left references to old VM dir in global config. You may try to delete the global config, change the path to a VMs dir in it, or change the VM's path in File->Settings->General->Folder for VMs by default.

From the Readme-OS2.txt file:
Code: [Select]
6. Note that by default VirtualBox stores all user data in the
   %HOME%\.VirtualBox directory. If %HOME% is not set, it will use
   the <boot_drive>:\.VirtualBox directory. In either case, you may
   overwrite the location of this directory using the VBOX_USER_HOME
   environment variable.
This would indicate that I can move the user home location. It seems to partly do it.

It also seems that if I store the code in a directory:  W:\APPS\VBOX-506 it still wants to mess with W:\APPS\VirtualBox (which happened to contain the old VBox 1.6.1 until I deleted it). This is probably from the windows way of doing things, which seems to be to put the file wherever it feels like it, at the time it does it (terribly messy).

My first attempt wasn't very successful.

I can get to the first screen. I can define a new guest machine. However, when I try to start that machine (new VDI, and pointing to the real DVD drive, with a WinXP PRO CD) It complains, immediately, and says to check the log. Okay, the log says it failed to find some files, in my old VirtualBox directory (which is just left over from before, the old VBOX was not installed). I have no idea where it is getting that stuff from. I don't think it even gets far enough to think about using the DVD drive.

Well, after clearing out every trace of both the old, and new, VBox, and installing the new one in W:\APPS\VirtualBox (where the old one was), I still had the same startup problem. Having noted a previous post about problems with Virtual assist (which works fine with VBox 1.6.1), I disabled that in the configuration (it is on by default). Now, I can start the WinXP install (which I cancelled).

I need to find more time to play with this. Not a bad start, but there is a long way to go.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 11:23:30 am »
2Doug Bissett: I reread your last post several times, nothing understood.

I can get to the first screen. I can define a new guest machine. However, when I try to start that machine (new VDI, and pointing to the real DVD drive, with a WinXP PRO CD) It complains, immediately, and says to check the log. I can get to the first screen. I can define a new guest machine. However, when I try to start that machine (new VDI, and pointing to the real DVD drive, with a WinXP PRO CD) It complains, immediately, and says to check the log.

Would you like to be more specific?

Well, after clearing out every trace of both the old, and new, VBox, and installing the new one in W:\APPS\VirtualBox (where the old one was), I still had the same startup problem.

Which one?

Having noted a previous post about problems with Virtual assist (which works fine with VBox 1.6.1), I disabled that in the configuration (it is on by default). Now, I can start the WinXP install (which I cancelled).

Virtual assist? I don't understand. Or, my english is too bad.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 03:46:47 pm »
2Martin: "sdl" is older incorrect package. Please, remove it. The correct and newer package name is "SDL".

Just a heads-up to those who need to install the SDL package...I've been unable to do so with the ANPM interface...CLI on the other hand seems to do fine...I've got a ticket out there, see => https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=571, but the progress somewhat stalled over the past couple of weeks.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 06:30:10 pm »
2Doug Bissett: I reread your last post several times, nothing understood.

Sorry, it seems to be self evident to me, but I will try again.

I can get to the first screen. I can define a new guest machine. However, when I try to start that machine (new VDI, and pointing to the real DVD drive, with a WinXP PRO CD) It complains, immediately, and says to check the log. I can get to the first screen. I can define a new guest machine. However, when I try to start that machine (new VDI, and pointing to the real DVD drive, with a WinXP PRO CD) It complains, immediately, and says to check the log.

Would you like to be more specific?

I made a new machine, with a new VDI, and tried to install WinXP. When I open the guest, I get a popup that says it failed, and to check the log. The log complains that it can't find a couple of files, that don't exist (and I can see no reason why they would exist), and goes on forever with stuff that I don't understand. It doesn't even get to the initial BIOS screen of the virtual machine.

Well, after clearing out every trace of both the old, and new, VBox, and installing the new one in W:\APPS\VirtualBox (where the old one was), I still had the same startup problem.

Which one?

The one mentioned above.

Having noted a previous post about problems with Virtual assist (which works fine with VBox 1.6.1), I disabled that in the configuration (it is on by default). Now, I can start the WinXP install (which I cancelled).

Virtual assist? I don't understand. Or, my english is too bad.

Virtual Machine Assist. VT-x/AMD-V.

Just a heads-up to those who need to install the SDL package...I've been unable to do so with the ANPM interface

ANPM will do it, but you need to uninstall the sdl package (which also takes out ffmpeg and something else). If you try to install the ffmpeg package, it will put back sdl, ffmpeg and the other one. If you first install SDL, that is all that it does, then you need to install ffmpeg, which leaves SDL alone, and installs ffmpeg and the other package.

BTW, this is NOT a problem with ANPM, it is a packaging problem with RPM.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 07:02:07 pm »
Doug, I get exactly the same response on a machine that we put together just to test this.

The initial setup screens appear to work but when we try to run anything we get the attached screen grab and a rather large log file.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 07:25:26 pm »
2ivan: Please attach the VM log here. It is very strange, because I install WinXP without problems.

2Doug Bissett:
I made a new machine, with a new VDI, and tried to install WinXP. When I open the guest, I get a popup that says it failed, and to check the log. The log complains that it can't find a couple of files, that don't exist (and I can see no reason why they would exist), and goes on forever with stuff that I don't understand. It doesn't even get to the initial BIOS screen of the virtual machine.
What says the popup, what is in the log? You provide too little information.

Virtual Machine Assist. VT-x/AMD-V.
Ah, hardware-assisted virtualization. You should disable it, as it is not supported on OS/2 host.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 08:27:37 pm »
Attached the log from the XP install

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:10 pm »
2ivan: I see "AMD-V Enabled" in the log. Did you see the VM Settings->System->Acceleration->(VT-x/AMD-V,Nested paging) checkboxes checked?
If so, you must do the same I said to Doug: uncheck them.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 11:26:18 pm »
My first impressions with Vbox:
After installing it, I install win-xp, and during the installation I have problems with the keyboard,
To confirm the first installation screens of xp, having to unplug the usb-mouse and plug it in again, so that
The options will be confirmed, until with the mouse I can finish the installation.

The network works for me, the sound does not.
Firefox was good.
But if I run the OpenScad program on win-xp 32, the program crashes and I have to unplug plug the usb-mouse,
To continue.

On the other hand I have downloaded the VboxAdditions506.iso, but I will not install it, if anyone can help me to install it ?.
 I have read the readme C: \ OS2Additions \ OS2 \ readme.txt but it does not make sense what it says, or it is wrong, or I do not understand it.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 11:42:22 pm »
Ah, hardware-assisted virtualization. You should disable it, as it is not supported on OS/2 host.

That is ridiculous.  VBox 1.6.1 esr works well, with Warp4, and eCS, guests (using hardware-assisted virtualization), but they are missing a few things that would be nice to have (sound, USB, shared folders that work with SAMBA - they do work with netbios over TCP/IP). Why doesn't it work now?

Without hardware-assisted virtualization, I would say that the new VBox is about 10% useful, and the performance is terrible.

What says the popup, what is in the log? You provide too little information.

Ivan seems to have found the time to do that (yes, it is the same problem). If hardware-assisted virtualization is not supported, the options should be disabled by default, and the README should say that. We aren't mind readers.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 11:53:11 pm »
My first impressions with Vbox:
After installing it, I install win-xp, and during the installation I have problems with the keyboard,
To confirm the first installation screens of xp, having to unplug the usb-mouse and plug it in again, so that
The options will be confirmed, until with the mouse I can finish the installation.
What are problems with keyboard and why are you need to unplug USB mouse?

The network works for me, the sound does not.
Sound is not implemented, since the older VBox version.

Firefox was good.
But if I run the OpenScad program on win-xp 32, the program crashes and I have to unplug plug the usb-mouse,
To continue.

Does it crash on windoze VBox version? Didn't understood about the USB mouse.

On the other hand I have downloaded the VboxAdditions506.iso, but I will not install it, if anyone can help me to install it ?.
 I have read the readme C: \ OS2Additions \ OS2 \ readme.txt but it does not make sense what it says, or it is wrong, or I do not understand it.

What is the problem with additions? Why it does not make sense what readme says? What is the problem? You don't understand english or never used OS/2? And where are you trying to install OS/2 additions? If you install WinXP, you'll need the windows additions.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:59:04 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 11:57:54 pm »
2Doug Bissett: You are wrong. OS/2 version of VBox 1.6.x never supported VT-x/AMD-V. (because of missing features in OS/2 kernel). It only worked on other platforms. And, Readme mentions that VMX is not supported, so you must know if you have read readme.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:19:04 am by Valery Sedletski »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 03:40:08 am »
Hi Doug!

Just a heads-up to those who need to install the SDL package...I've been unable to do so with the ANPM interface

ANPM will do it, but you need to uninstall the sdl package (which also takes out ffmpeg and something else). If you try to install the ffmpeg package, it will put back sdl, ffmpeg and the other one. If you first install SDL, that is all that it does, then you need to install ffmpeg, which leaves SDL alone, and installs ffmpeg and the other package.

BTW, this is NOT a problem with ANPM, it is a packaging problem with RPM.

So this is what I suppose makes it a tough "nut" to crack in my case, I do not have sdl nor ffmpeg installed...and attempting to install SDL or sdl for that matter fail. Anyways, since CLI install works (as we proved out in my ticket on this) there is something else at play..may be RPM package...not sure.

It could also be the case that the non-YUM/RPM SDL install (the previous releases, last of which in my machine came from the SDL-1.2.15-20160209.zip file) is somehow causing ANPM/YUM/RPM a problem.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 01:15:54 pm »
Hi Roberto

Run the WinXP guest and mount the ISO as a CD drive.
For the WinXP Addons you need to install "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe" from the VboxAdditions506.iso inside the Window XP Guest.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.