Author Topic: Installing eCS 1.2, without CD or network  (Read 4130 times)

xynixme

Installing eCS 1.2, without CD or network
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:04:59 pm »
Situation: eCS 1.2 is installed. There's more than one partition, but no CD-drive. Try to pretend that, after preparations, only the HD works,

Is there an easy way to "FORMAT C:" and continue with an install of eCS?

"Easy" excludes a network install, or a install using some USB drive. Just formatting and a restore won't do, because restored files may contain corrupted files. As such the system still sort of works, so it is possible to copy an eCS install CD from USB to D: and use D: instead of S:.

No other solutions, please. The hardware (IDE controller) may be broken too and the disk was too large, for example, so installing a working desktop CD drive isn't a guaranteed alternative for an "easy" attempt. I hope that there's some eCS install phase which can be started after the original format of the original install.

Again, it has to be easy, and basicly HD-only. Like unzipping an XCOPY'ed install CD to D:, FORMAT C: (or a full DELTREE *), and execute D:\OS2IMGS\DISK1\INSTALL.CMD to continue a regular eCS install after formatting C:.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Installing eCS 1.2, without CD or network
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:33:10 pm »
If you can make a copy of cd1 on d: with the d drive having the same label as the cd, it should install ok.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

xynixme

Re: Installing eCS 1.2, without CD or network
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:20 am »
I can, thanks. I may even decide to call the partition drive S:. The system works, but isn't stable. Lasting new objects have to be created after a <ALT-F1> restore with a matching clean <ALT-F1> backup, it cannot find the desktop after a while, CHECKINI reports weird errors after a while, if a file open dialog with thumbnails causes a CPU load of 100% then the app has to be closed to be able to open the same directory with a 0.1% CPU load, and so on. And there's "some" problem with the CD drive, including but not limited to not opening anymore. I'll first test the method with a working notebook.