Author Topic: One month till the user meeting in Cologne!  (Read 12244 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
One month till the user meeting in Cologne!
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:09:28 am »
in exactly one month our eCS - OS/2 user meeting will take place in Cologne! The anticipation rises from day to day!

We are also happy that some other users confirmed their attention!

In my personal opinion (Sigurd) the eCS 2.2 project seems to have died already or is close to be dead  :'(, another good reason to visit this event - we may get some information from Mensys then ( :-X ?)and if not could discuss possible and impossible other ways of keeping OS/2 alive.  8)

Or just bringing back memories of the "good old days"! Or just saying and celebrating a "Goodbye", or.. what you would like to do relating OS/2 and eCS.  :D

We are looking forward to meet you!

Sigurd and Thomas

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: One month till the user meeting in Cologne!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:33:35 pm »
This are good news.  I wish you the best on this event.

I want to ask you, if it is possible, to do the following.

1) Take pictures and share it with us.
2) Video tape (record) the presentations.
3) If someone brings some presentation slides, request the speakers to share the presentations files with the general public. If it is possible to release it under Creative Commons Share Alike license. (if they want to of course)
4) If it is possible do some VideoStreamming (or audistreaming) on real time. You can use Google+ Hangout to stream (and record) on YouTube on real time for example. And the people on the internet can also be on some IRC channel for question.  (It does not matter if you stream with a Windows/Linux/Mac/iPhone/Android machine/phone, what the hell)

This is only if it is possible. I understand that you may be missing some volunteers and time to do this, but if you have the chance to do any of those go for it.

Regards
Martín.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »
I think those are good ideas. Many more will be able to 'attend' it.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

Thomas M.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:15:46 pm »
Hello Martin.

As far as Sigurd and me discussed the event it seems that Sigurd will be involved in presentations and answering technical questions. So I regard the things you mention to be part of my duty.
Taking pictures won't be a problem.
Putting any presentations online shouldn't be a problem either.
But any kind of streaming or IRC I never did up to now. So I can't really say by now if we will be able to do that. Have in mind that we are just two non-professionals doing this the first time with reference to eCS / OS/2.
But we will do our very best to make it a good event.

Cheers

Thomas

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:25:59 pm »
eCS 2.2 is not dead. Roderick is back to work and I have already seen new activity in the bugtracker.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:53:09 pm »
I think that is good news.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »
Hi Thomas

If you can also get a tripod and videocam, it will be get if you can videotape the meetings/presentations to be later uploaded to YouTube.

About the audio/video streaming. There are several options out there, too bad that there are not much eCS-OS2 options. For example, The last WarpStock europe was live streammed (only audio) with an iPhone. And it was good enought when it was working. About IRC, you just need to install Chatzilla on Firefox and go to this URL: irc://efnet/os2world  (for example)

A non-OS/2 option (sorry)  that I find interesting for Live Video Streamming is Google+ Hangouts on Air. It will broadcast live the video in a Youtube channel and will also store the video on your YouTube account. If you have the oppotunity to have an non-OS2 machine and a good USB webcam/mic near the speaker it can be interesting.

If you have a google account log in to "plus.google.com" after that on your top left the "home" icon and you will find the "Hangouts on Air".

I think it is a good option. Give it a try, it is very easy to use.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.